Forum Member

Default Airborne Combat Firefighter

If anyone has any information on this position within the Air Force I would GREATLY appreciate it! Looking for people who have btdt, looking for training and day to day stuff....thanks.
    (DOS of the USAF is fairly soon and this is the only job that will keep me in.)

MembersZone Subscriber

To the best of my knowledge, there's no such thing as an Airborne Combat Firefighter. About 30+ years ago, there was a group of USAF firefighters that responded to off-base aircraft crashes in combat zones. They had the same training as any other USAF firefighter.

Worldwide Menace

Quote Originally Posted by davjohnson View Post
    To the best of my knowledge, there's no such thing as an Airborne Combat Firefighter. About 30+ years ago, there was a group of USAF firefighters that responded to off-base aircraft crashes in combat zones. They had the same training as any other USAF firefighter.
    actually.. i've heard of this.. i guess they drop into enemy airfields with troops and help take over the field, and set up ARFF services for the incoming military planes.

-Damien

Forum Member

Default Yes

This is a current position, firemen will attend airborne, air assault as well as other army combat training, again; just looking for people that know what the operational stuff is like.

MembersZone Subscriber

Up until 1 year or so ago this was an actual position within the USAF fire protection field. These airborne combat firefighters were attached to Red Horse CE Squadrons and would deploy with them. Most commonly the only piece of FF equipment(suppression) they had was a converted JD gator type vehicle with a skid unit on it.

Not sure what the reasoning behind shutting these units down was, but I heard it from some guys attached to a unit.

MembersZone Subscriber

Yes...there is Airborne Red Horse. Didn't know firefighters were assigned to the teams now.

Smokeeater...if that's what you're asking about, you'll probably have to have your 5 level and meet airborne requirements before you can apply for that.

Forum Member

Default yea

I should be good. Thanks guys. Again, if anybody has any info if these units are still active or what's up with the day to days i'd love to hear about it, thanks.

Forum Member

Default they are still around

We have a group of AB FF's at Nellis, they work the normal shift work, plus they go TDY with the army to do Jumps and stuff like that to stay qualified. They are still having people show up to join, if you interested in more information I will give you some contact info..

look up SSgt Riff on the global for Nellis he is in charge of the AB guys here at the station.

Forum Member

Default Ah

Email en route to your sarge, thanks.

Thread Information