Default Any information would be helpful

I see that the City of Las Vegas is opening recruiting in the beginning of October, and I'm seriously considering filling out an application. One of my concerns is over my vision.

As it stands, I currently have pretty strong myopia (nearsightedness) and I wear glasses. I have never worn contacts, but I think my vision is somewhere in the 20/140 range uncorrected.

Does this mean I'm automatically excluded (I believe they either mandated or recommended 20/100 uncorrected)? Is LASIK an option, or would they consider that "corrected" vision? Could I apply, and get surgery before the next series of examinations (physical, oral, etc)? I don't really have the money to have it done immediately.

Thank you for any information you can offer.

Forum Member

getting Lasik is definitely what you want to do, it's considered uncorrected after that. im 20/475 in one eye and 20/425 in the other so don't feel like your at too much of a loss lol. im scheduled to begin the treatments in the fall of this year.

Forum Member

The NFPA recommendation was 20/30 corrected and 20/100 uncorrected but it does get waived with soft contacts. Also FYI they did change this recommendation to 20/40 last year so you should be ok. If you have any questions check with NFPA. Also the dept. has to right to set whatever standard they want like some have 20/20 and that's it but most follow NFPA's recommendation.

I would highly recommend that you consult with NFPA's list of Fire Fighter Professional Qualifications, also known as NFPA 1001. Specifically, look at 2-2.7.1 "Eyes". The subsections may have shifted from the copy which I have, however, you should be able to download the most current information directly from the internet. If your vision is indeed uncorrectable in one eye, the challenges you will face in the pursuit of a firefighter's badge will be steep. If on the other hand, you find out through a second opinion that your vision"may" be correctable to a level acceptable to the department or agency to which you aspire to belong, then by all means, pursue those avenues.

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

Default Lasix

Eye Surgery
    These questions below were posted on the PFF Bulletin with the following responses. You can check out more information concerning eye surgery on the Food and Drug Administration web site @ www.fda.gov/CDRH/LASIK

If you're considering eye surgery you should know that more than 5% of patients have problems with night vision, results that don't last and vision worse than before the surgery.

You need to check out the web site www.surgicaleyes.com put up by a firefighter who had the surgery then had to quit because his eye sight fell before safety standards.

What are the current attitudes regarding corneal surgery to correct poor vision? My eyes suck, to speak plainly. I'm considering getting laser eye surgery to correct the problem. Do departments consider that "corrected" eyesight? As in, "Candidate must have no worse than 20/70 vision,uncorrected, in either eye."

In general, do departments consider eyes modified by corneal surgery "corrected" or "uncorrected?" Have any trends been noticed?

I'm just looking for how departments are tending to receive candidates who have had the surgery.

Thanks!

dafydd

Author: Bill

Subject: Corneal surgery

I can't speak for the fire service generally but I can tell you about my cities' attitude on this subject. As a member of my locals' negotiating, team I participated in securing an eye surgery benefit as part of our last package.

The city agreed that good vision is an important safety issue and that turnout times, (particularly at night) could be enhanced by less reliance on lenses. On that basis they agreed to pay 80% of the cost of corrective surgery for the employee only.

More input:

My personal opinion is go for it. I had RK seven years ago and it was the best money I've ever spent (Lasik wasn't an option then). Another FF on my dept. had the same surgery just after I did. Much later a FF had lasik.

My depts. position on anything of this nature is as long as the doc clears you to come back to work there is no problem. I personally always had concerns about contacts, I felt that I didn't want to put a piece of plastic on my cornea, go interior on something and even have the possibility of having it permanently fused to my eyes.

Beyond the job, just the change it makes in day to day living is worth it.

Still more:

Subject: laser surgery

I can't comment on what stand a department may have on surgically corrected vision but I can comment on my own experience. I had Lasix last fall, I was like 20/200 before the procedure, I am know 20/15 in my right eye and 20/18 in my left. It was the best $3200 I ever spent. I would recommend it to anyone.

Signed Seeing Well

Another:

Subject: Lasik procedure

I had Lasik in June of last year, and it took like charm. I was 20/100 in one eye and 20/150 in the other. Now I

am 20/20 in both, best 3600 bucks I spent. No departments have had any problems with my surgery just as long as it was longer than 6 months ago to prove the procedure took.

I was never dqed in any processes, they just told me to come back for re-evaluation at 6 months past surgery, and I still passed at that time too.

Finally:

Author: eyes

Subject: go for it!

There were two guys in my academy (paid-new hires) who had their eyes done. The stipulation was they had to be 6 mo post op. to make sure the correction took. i.e. the lens didn't loose shape after laser surgery. Good luck with your pursuit.

Author: Lori

Subject: Lasik Surgery

I had both of my eyes done on 11/15/99. Both eyes were -11.5 which I believe is the equivalent of 20/1150. Lasik usually isn't performed on eyes worse than -12 (20/1200).

You could say I was an extreme case. The day after the surgery I had 20/30 vision in both eyes and subsequently have improved to 20/25 in each eye. I couldn't be happier -cost: $3,900. I'd certainly recommend it but would encourage individuals to read up on it, research it and definitely check out more than one doctor who performs the surgery. Good Luck!

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Permanently Removed

In 1993, I got RK (pre Lasix) and went from 160/20 to 20/20 and its stayed that way for 13+ years. Was a good investment.

I would move on it. Not just for Las Vegas, but for your life as well. BUT DO YOUR RESEARCH! Do not go to some place because they offer a coupon or fancy financing. I found the #2 in the nation who refined the proceedure. I could go see #1, but he was in Russia where it was discovered.

Shop around and price should not be an issue when it comes to your vision.

Thread Information