Post brand new kenworth tanker

would you rather have a tanker with horsepower or just one with capability of carrying some odd number gallons of water?

Forum Member

Well I personally want the HP to haul the water from A-B and the rig needs to have a decent capacity. Our Dept runs a 2003 FL-70 with 330 hp Cat. and hauls 2000 gal. It is run on a single rear axle.
    Forrest Gregg
    Chief
    Holtville/Slapout
    Fire & Rescue Inc.
    District 10 Director
    AAVFD
    IAFC
    www.holtvilleslapoutfd.org

Forum Member

Two things, Not just horsepower but engine braking as well.
    Service is the rent you pay for having space on earth.

Forum Member

Default We have a T-300 with 2500 gallons of water

Our pumper/tanker has the 330 cummins and a twin screw tandom with an automatic tramsmission. It has plenty of power and the 330 cummins has a nice growl to it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by mitchkrat View Post
    Our pumper/tanker has the 330 cummins and a twin screw tandom with an automatic tramsmission. It has plenty of power and the 330 cummins has a nice growl to it.
    I couldn't agree more. You didn't steal our tanker, did you?

Forum Member

Default Kenworth Tanker

We have one on order right now. It will have the newer Cummins 360, 1,250 GPM, 2500 gallon tank. Due to be delivered in September.

Forum Member

For this area,330 with 2500 would leave you on the short end of nut unless you had mountain gears(low).Most of the tanks around here are 380-500 horse for that quantity of water.By going with the bigger engine you also get a "real"engine retarder not just an exhaust brake.If we're talking a Cummins 330,I've been surprised at what that little engine can do.I'd never spec one for us,but there are some around us and they do a decent job. T.C.

Forum Member

I agree that horsepower and stopping power are high on my list of what makes a good tanker. In our responce area we have lots of hills. My departments tankers has a 500 hp CAT, automatic transmisson and three position engine brake hauling 2,750 gallons.

Forum Member

We have 3 tankers at my volly dept. 2 of which are 4000 gals. they are on autocar heavy hauler chassis, they have 435 hp. The other is an older White it is 3500 gals. it has a 350 hp. detroit. They do pretty well for us, they have true jake brakes, don't let a salesman con you into a exhaust brake, they done work.

The most important thing you need to look at motor wise is the amount of tourqe that the motor has, i.e. these kids have these honda civics, and what ever other rice burners there are, with alot of horsepower, I know of this guy who has a burner with 340 hp with NOS, but do you think he could haul 2000 gal. of water? Tourqe is what you are after, not horsepower!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Bigger, not more is better

Torque is where you should put your money. We just put in service a Sterling 9500, 3500 gallon tanker w/ 750 gpm pump that is powered Mercedes 9000, 370 horses w/ 1450 ft/#. I think it would climb a tree if it wanted to, and in a quick hurry. When I was roading it cross-country to bring it home, I don't think I found one hill on the interstate that slowed her down, passing cars on the uphill side of the pass! Even here at home, loaded up, it climbs one of the local hills better than our rescue engine (500 gals, 1250 gpm, 6 man cab, 330 cummins). The 370 horse was the cheapest we could get the bigger engine in (the Mercedes 9000) which will go up to the mid 400s in hp, but with virtully the same torque. We have no doubt that it was money well spent to go to the bigger engine.

Forum Member

Comparing the pulling power of a Mercedes to an ISC 330 Cummins is akin to comparing a Powerstroke to a Yugo.A small block against a Big block.There is no comparison.Or a ISX to the Mercedes.Buy the biggest engine you can afford but for a tanker,a 11 liter or bigger is preferred.Yes you can get 400hp in a "mouse"motor but it won't pull as well as 350 in a big block.Like was stated,your pulling power comes from torque and 1200 ft lbs is a good starting point.More is better.Our Engines run 380 plus ISM Cummins and they're only hauling 1250-1500 water.So yes power is at least as important as gallons.If you can't effectively move the gallons to the scene,it won't do you much good. T.C.

Forum Member

there is simply no substitute for cubic inches, or liters.

Thread Information