Forum Member

Default LODD Redding, CA - Captain Edward LeVirgil Andrews, IV

Redding Fire Captain Edward LeVirgil Andrews, IV, passed away at 09:39 hours the morning of May 14, 2007. While engaged in physical training preparing for the upcoming fire season, Captain Andrews suffered an apparent heart attack, autopsy results are pending.

Captain Andrews has been an active member of the fire service since 1974, and was a 21-year veteran of the Redding Fire Department. Captain Andrews had several occupations through the years including: Fire Instructor for both College of the Siskiyous and Shasta College; Emergency Medical Technician for Mercy Medical Center; Helitack Foreman for the Bureau of Land Management; General Manager, Mountain Operations Manager, Ski Patrolman and Equipment Operator for the former Lassen Park Ski Area; Park Technician, Law Enforcement, for the Whiskeytown National Parks Service; Fire Apparatus Engineer for the California Department of Forestry & Fire Protection; Firefighter for the City of Red Bluff and Firefighter for the Shasta-Trinity National Forest.

Captain Andrews is survived by his mother, Fredricka Burgess, of Red Bluff; his daughter, Amy Jane Andrews of San Diego; and his son, Edward (Eddie) L. John Andrews, V, of Redding.

The memorial service for Captain Ed Andrews, who died in the line of duty on May 14, 2007, will be held at 10:00 a.m., on May 23, 2007. Services will be held at the Big League Dreams Sports Complex located at 20155 Viking Way, Redding, California.

A memorial fund has been established to benefit fire academy students at both Shasta College and College of the Siskiyous. Persons interested in contributing to the Ed Andrews Memorial Fund may contribute at any Members 1st Credit Union location.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Forum Member

http://www.redding.com/news/2007/may...er-collapsing/

A message from our Fire Chief:

DATE: 05/14/07

FD MEMO NO.: 07-043

TO: ALL PERSONNEL

SUBJECT: LINE OF DUTY DEATH ANNOUNCEMENT

It is my sad duty to inform you that at 0939 hours today Captain Ed Andrews died in the line of duty while engaged in physical training. I have ordered an immediate and thorough investigation of the events surrounding this tragedy.

I will provide you with more information as soon as it is available, including details of services.

This is a difficult time for the entire Fire Department, and we will need to come together to get through it. All of us know when we choose firefighting as a career, this type of occurrence is possible. Nevertheless, that does not make it any less tragic or any less difficult to bear once it actually happens.

At this time, our thoughts and prayers are with the Andrews’ family. I urge you to support the Department in any way you can to see to the family’s needs during this difficult and trying time.

Captain Kevin Ward has accepted the assignment as the Family Liaison Officer and will be coordinating the Department’s support to the family and assuring to their needs.

Out of respect and in remembrance of Captain Andrews, please lower the flags to half-staff and wear badge shrouds until further notice.

I wish I had the words to ease the pain all of us are feeling, but I do not. I would only remind us all that Ed loved the Redding Fire Department. He loved being a Firefighter and he will always be with us in our hearts.

Forum Member

Ed was one of the finest, most devoted guys to the fire service. He was also a devoted dad. I met Ed in 1986 as he taught me auto extrication. Little did I know that I would end up on a truck company doing it on a daily basis. I will miss Ed and his stories. RIP, Brother

Forum Member

Default Edward Andrews Memorial

My condolences to the Andrews family and the Redding Fire Department of California. Captain Edward Andrews, 53, a 21 year veteran of the Redding Fire Department, died Monday May 14, 2007. Edward was performing physical training in preparation for the summer fire season when he collapsed from an apparent heart attack. His brother firefighters administered CPR immediately and he was transported to Shasta Regional Medical Center where he was pronounced. I have created a permanent memorial for Edward on my website. More news, information, and photos can be found at:
    http://www.firefightinglinks.com/eandrews.html

If there is any additional information or photos you would like added to this memorial, please contact me.

Stay Safe

Shawn McDonald
    [firefightinglinks@snet.net]

Forum Member

Updated info:

http://www.ci.redding.ca.us/fire/index.html

Those attending service please check website often.

Mike

Thread Information