Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
  1. #1
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    1,214

    Default New Engine Bid Awarded-Thank You For Helping

    We just awarded bid to build our new engine. I have gathered tons of information from many people on here via the forume and email. All of it has been immensley helpful. Thank you to all who have answered my questions and to those who continue to post relevent information.

    Here is the summary. KME is the builder
    • Length 380", WB 187", OAH 115"
    • 400 HP Cat C9 motor
    • 5 Sp. Allison Trans (EVS3000) with T handle shifter
    • Meritor/Wabco ABS with ATC (automatic traction control) and RSC
    • Mud/snow tires on rear
    • "Barrier" cab doors
    • 1250 Single Stage Hale Qflo Pump. Capable of 2000+ GPM from Pressurized Source
    • Removable 1000 GPM deluge gun mounted at the left side over the pump panel. Able to be operated at zero degrees in full rotation.
    • 500 Gal Poly "L" shaped water tank
    • 30 Gal Class B foam tank
    • Foam Logix class B system with 3 points of injection
    • Roll Up Doors
    • Seating for 5
    • Compartments IPO rear facing seats with exterior roll up door access for EMS gear and Drivers PPE
    • Low hosebed (no greatr than 60 inches from ground)
    • 2 1/2" Discharges: one on Left panel, two on right panel
    • two at tailboard (3" piping through to pump)
    • 3" LDH Discharge on right panel
    • two 1 1/2" discharges on front bumper (top of bumper)
    • 3" aux intake valves with 4" storz adapters affixed
    • Hinge open pump panel access on both sides

      Hose
      Bumper
    • 100' 1 1/2"
    • 150' 1 3/4"
    • 50' 1" forestry Line
    • 25' Intake 6"

      Rear Hosebed
    • 250' 1 3/4" preconnect with additional 150 feet "dead loaded"
    • 600' 3" set up for supply with double male adapter attached
    • 1000' 4" High Pressure
    • 300' 2 1/2" with 1 1/8 and 1 1/4" Smooth bore tips
    • 400' 2" preconnect with break apart nozzle 1 1/8" SB with Fog tip

      Right Side Pump panel trough
    • 100' 2 1/2" with Mercury Monitor Preconnected
    • 28' 2 section ext ladder
    • 14 and 16' roof ladders
    • 10KW Harrison HYD. Gen
    • 3000W Nightscan Tower
    • 1000W Brow Light
    • 1500W Pole LIghts
    • FDNY style poly rub rails and rubber rear wheel fenderettes
    • FDNY style convex mirror over right cab windshield
    • Stokes and backboard compartment in place of crosslays
    • Roll out trays in compartments
    • LED body warning lights
    • Mini lightbars on rear stanchions instead of single beacons
    • Whelen 4500 Traffic advisor over rear hosebed
    • Safety Chevrons on rear

      The rig will carry (Aside from typical Engine Co stuff)
    • TNT C-25 cutter
    • 28" spreader
    • TLS-50 Ram
    • Simo Pump.
    • 2 sets of Swiftwater gear
    • Ice suit and rope bags
    • simple 3:1 rope setup and hardware
    • Junkin Stokes,
    • Tempest Ventmaster Chainsaw
    • K12 14" saw
    • Hydraram
    • Assortment of hooks, including a tin/sheetmetal hook for ductwork fires
    • Assorted Cribbing
    • Some type of strut system for overturned vehicles
    • Basic chain and come-along compliment
    • Haz-Mat Supplies
    Last edited by MG3610; 05-16-2007 at 06:41 PM.

  2. #2
    Forum Member
    FWDbuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Pee-Ayy!
    Posts
    7,420

    Default

    Sounds good. Congrats, I know what you are feeling right now.

    Silly question- did you have to pay extra for the manual shifter? I was under the impression that pretty much everyone did away with them due to the electronic transmissions/engines?????

    Good choice on the kitty Cat. Do you have many large hills in your area?
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

  3. #3
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Northeast Coast
    Posts
    3,891

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MG3610 View Post
    [*]Removable 1000 GPM deluge gun mounted at the left side over the pimp panel. Able to be operated at zero degrees in full rotation.
    [/LIST]
    Is that the shaggy carpet option vs. stainless or black vinal? Looks like you've specced a nice rig. Good luck!

  4. #4
    Forum Member
    TCFD12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    238

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Silly question- did you have to pay extra for the manual shifter? I was under the impression that pretty much everyone did away with them due to the electronic transmissions/engines?????
    The T-handle is a "fake", its all fly by wire now..........not an actual linkage.
    "The hero is commonly the simplest and obscurest of men."
    -Henry David Thoreau

    Visit my dept. at www.TCFD.com

  5. #5
    Forum Member
    Rescue101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Bridgton,Me USA
    Posts
    8,162

    Default

    Buff,Either.or option by preference.As I recall there is no money difference just some are used to/more comfortable with the T shift.Both are just electric controllers anyway. T.C.

  6. #6
    Let's talk fire trucks!
    BoxAlarm187's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    3,335

    Default

    Congrats on awarding the bid! If I might ask, what were some of the factors that made you decide on this particular vendor?

  7. #7
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    1,214

    Default

    We basically started with a wish list, short and sweet. Max length, wheelbase, water, pump, seats etc. The rig needed to come equipped bumper to bumper with a few exceptions (equipment). Total budget, $400,000 including equipment.

    We chose 4 vendors to meet with to do some research and see if they could build what we envisioned. They were KME, Seagrave, E-One and Marion. We met with each vendor once and took alot of notes, came up with alot of questions. A few of them got some concept drawings back to us for review. We then sat with each one a second time to talk details and can/can't do type stuff. After the second round of meetings, we knew that KME and Seagrave would be in the running. We chose to work with these two closer, as the other two knew they would be out of our price range. Credit to both of them though, for working hard and offering us alot of feedback. From the time the word go was issued and we had the specs completed was about 3 months. The total project time to bid award was just about 7 months.

    We wrote a spec that could be bid by more than one manufacturer because price was a major limiting factor. We did like some of the options KME had, so we used our verbage to explain an option that would allow them and anyone who could provide option X at an equal or better comparison. When it went to bid, 6 manufacturers picked up packages and we got 4 bids back.

    Our specs were drafted from scratch, not taken from a vendor and had our name pasted on them. Chiefengineer11 was helpful, allowing me to borrow some of their verbage. Some other sections we did the cut/paste from other specs we found on the net and such, but we wrote alot of it ourselves. A major limiting factor that limited bidding was cabinets in the cab in place of rear facing seats with exterior roll up doors. KME was the only one who offers this who came in in our budget range.

    We did a ton of homework and learned alot. It was fun. I am excited to see it through the build process. Thanks again to all who helped.

  8. #8
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    1,214

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Sounds good. Congrats, I know what you are feeling right now.

    Silly question- did you have to pay extra for the manual shifter? I was under the impression that pretty much everyone did away with them due to the electronic transmissions/engines?????

    Good choice on the kitty Cat. Do you have many large hills in your area?
    Thanks!

    T-Handle because some of us prefer to downshift when driving and ,essing with those silly buttons sucks. Same price if I recall.

    Cat was not chosen by us, it was the engine that they bid based on our minimum performance requirments.

  9. #9
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Woodbridge Twp, New Jersey
    Posts
    863

    Post

    Quote Originally Posted by MG3610 View Post
    Thanks!

    T-Handle because some of us prefer to downshift when driving and ,essing with those silly buttons sucks. Same price if I recall.

    Cat was not chosen by us, it was the engine that they bid based on our minimum performance requirments.
    What fire department are you from in central New Jersey, also is " J B HUNT " your sales & service dealer.Our 2005 Kme came standard with a 400 hp Cummins motor, so far she runs very good !
    Last edited by NewJerseyFFII; 05-26-2007 at 10:58 AM.

  10. #10
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    1,214

    Default

    After the Harrisburg Expo this past weekend, we got some more ideas we will take to preconstruction. Most were in compartmentation configuration. Our goal is to go to the preconstruction meeting with an itemized list of questions and comments that references each section of the bid so we can make the meeting as efficient as possible. We have tried to make sure all the I's are dotted adn T's are crossed so far and it seems to be working. I'm sure we'll get snagged by something at some point though, seems like its been going too smooth!!!

    A few more notes....

    From the beginning, I was opposed to any type of air or electric valves for anywhere in the pump/plumbing. We kept with that theory, and all of our main intakes are handwheel controlled butterfly valves with the valves behind the panel. We eliminated the T handle discharge valve actuators and spec'd 4" handwheel actuators. At the show, Elkhart had a new handwheel actuator that has the position indicator in the middle of the wheel, sweet looking deal. We will try to get these instead of the Akrons we were quoted. Hopefully we can make some trades here and there to make it balance out.

    Our plumbing is stainless and flex where necessary.

    We spec'd the FRC Pump Boss. Having so little time to do research, we knew we didnt want a controller that had flat faced push buttons. The only unit on the market we knew of that had a rotary style throttle and built in pressure governor was FRC. After playing with it at the booth in Hburg, its a sweet unit. I think we'll be happy.

    I got my twin Mars 888's, a victory for me since thats the only real fluff thing I wanted for the many hours of hard work.

    We got alot of truck for our money. We have about $22,000 for equipment.

    I wouldnt go as far as calling this a squad pumper, but we will have quite an assortment of gear. Seeing a body at the show with the same compartment sizes on the left side reminded us that we'll have alot of space to set it up nice. I'm looking foward to the build.

  11. #11
    Forum Member
    Rescue101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Bridgton,Me USA
    Posts
    8,162

    Default

    Mg,What was your thought process on going rotary throttle instead of push button?Both are connected electronically to the confuser and not that you'll probably appreciate this but: I've got three with rotary and one with push button.Care to guess which one(s) gives us the most problems? I'll give you a hint,it's NOT the pushbutton govenor. Do as you will but ours will NOT be rotary from this point foward.Ask around before you make that final decision,you've still got some time left.If you stay rotary,the Pumpboss is a good unit. T.C.

  12. #12
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    1,214

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    Mg,What was your thought process on going rotary throttle instead of push button?Both are connected electronically to the confuser and not that you'll probably appreciate this but: I've got three with rotary and one with push button.Care to guess which one(s) gives us the most problems? I'll give you a hint,it's NOT the pushbutton govenor. Do as you will but ours will NOT be rotary from this point foward.Ask around before you make that final decision,you've still got some time left.If you stay rotary,the Pumpboss is a good unit. T.C.
    Thanks for the insight. We don't like the flat faced push button style governors. We have a bunch of them now, Fire Commander, Class 1, and some older ones on the 94 rigs (detroit/class 1, I believe). I hate them. Its easier in my opinion to have a rotary knob that you can quickly turn to increase throttle than have to click the little soft spot on a flat face type pad. Personal preference I guess. After looking at the Pump Boss, I was as satisfied as could be.

    What brand are you having issues with? Class 1?

    Thanks again for your information. Your writings and knowledge here are also very helpful. I have read alot of them and used bits and pieces here and there.

  13. #13
    Forum Member
    Rescue101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Bridgton,Me USA
    Posts
    8,162

    Default

    The one we have GOOD luck with are class 1.The problem children are ones that look like an old vernier style.I'll have to go look at the back of one to tell you the brand. T.C.

  14. #14
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    1,214

    Default

    Preconstruction is coming up soon. Here is a drawing of the rig.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  15. #15
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Woodbridge Twp, New Jersey
    Posts
    863

    Post

    Quote Originally Posted by MG3610 View Post
    Preconstruction is coming up soon. Here is a drawing of the rig.
    What body material are you using? 1/8, 3/16 Alum, 12 ga Stainless , Gavaneal , poly !.....

  16. #16
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    1,214

    Default

    3/16 aluminum

  17. #17
    Forum Member
    CooterRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Your First Due...
    Posts
    287

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NewJerseyFFII View Post
    What fire department are you from in central New Jersey, also is " J B HUNT " your sales & service dealer.Our 2005 Kme came standard with a 400 hp Cummins motor, so far she runs very good !
    Yeah CAT is a good motor, but I love Cummins... our new rig will have a Cummins ISL 400 in it. Cummins was our choice mostly b/c we have them in every rig and b/c they're the most fuel efficient. Congrats to the one from Central NJ on the new KME.
    "I don't wanna hear about it... I wanna see results!!!":-P

  18. #18
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    46

    Default

    MG3610, congrats on your new engine, some simlar to what i just delievered about two weeks ago, i have to say, our guys love, love the pump boss with the knob on it, we have a push button on our 2002 and the guys just can't use to it, they started using this and they love it, best of luck again, if you care to view any pics of our engine go to www.hazletoncityfire.com

    Who is your sales engineer at KME if i can ask???

    Stay Safe

  19. #19
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Woodbridge Twp, New Jersey
    Posts
    863

    Post

    Quote Originally Posted by hfdchiefone View Post
    MG3610, congrats on your new engine, some simlar to what i just delievered about two weeks ago, i have to say, our guys love, love the pump boss with the knob on it, we have a push button on our 2002 and the guys just can't use to it, they started using this and they love it, best of luck again, if you care to view any pics of our engine go to www.hazletoncityfire.com

    Who is your sales engineer at KME if i can ask???

    Stay Safe
    Is your new 2007 Kme pumper built on a " SS Predator Chassis " the square grill looks like a Spartan cab ? Nice looking rig, good luck & stay safe !... NJFFII

  20. #20
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    1,214

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hfdchiefone View Post

    Who is your sales engineer at KME if i can ask???

    Stay Safe
    Brian Connely

  21. #21
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    46

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NewJerseyFFII View Post
    Is your new 2007 Kme pumper built on a " SS Predator Chassis " the square grill looks like a Spartan cab ? Nice looking rig, good luck & stay safe !... NJFFII
    To be honest it has a little of i think both in it, all our door panels are stainless steel, dash setup is same as a regular predator, and to be honest, i love the grill on it, more then the regular predator cab grill It should go in service the next two weeks, thanks for the well wishes, i am sure it will perform well

    MG3610, Brian is a great guy, nice thing is Brian is a firefighter, that is one issue i was quite happy with, Our dealer and sales engineer are both firefighters, they understand and know what we wanted and worked very very hard on making sure everything was there we asked,

    So again good luck with you new engine , i will have to be on the lookout for it when i am at the plant again

    Stay Safe

  22. #22
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    1,214

    Default

    Progress!!!

    The cab is almost complete.

    The frame and axles are sitting with the pump awaiting the installation of the balance of the chassis components including the engine and trans. All of that is also in stock and waiting its turn to go where it belongs. the body is also well on its way to assembly. Its nice to see alot of hard work on the desktop to become the real deal.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by MG3610; 10-08-2007 at 10:31 PM.

  23. #23
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Woodbridge Twp, New Jersey
    Posts
    863

    Thumbs up New Kme

    Quote Originally Posted by MG3610 View Post
    Progress!!!

    The cab is almost complete.

    The frame and axles are sitting with the pump awaiting the installation of the balance of the chassis components including the engine and trans. All of that is also in stock and waiting its turn to go where it belongs. the body is also well on its way to assembly. Its nice to see alot of hard work on the desktop to become the real deal.
    I have seen your apparatus drawings at J B Hunt Fire, looks like you will get a very well thoughtout pumper ! Good Luck...NJFFII

  24. #24
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    1,214

    Default

    Thank you for the kind words.

    Attached is the most up to date CAD Drawing. There are a few odds and ends that were modified and reflected in change orders. The most notable is the storage box over the pump panel for the basket stretcher and backboards, the layout of that area is a little different now,

    Last edited by MG3610; 10-14-2007 at 01:03 PM.

  25. #25
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Woodbridge Twp, New Jersey
    Posts
    863

    Post

    Quote Originally Posted by MG3610 View Post
    Thank you for the kind words.

    Attached is the most up to date CAD Drawing. There are a few odds and ends that were modified and reflected in change orders. The most notable is the storage box over the pump panel for the basket stretcher and backboards, the layout of that area is a little different now,

    Our engine was built in about 7 months from start to finish !
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Whats my bid! (New game show)
    By LVFD301 in forum Apparatus Innovation
    Replies: 74
    Last Post: 02-03-2007, 08:40 PM
  2. DC eng 10 vs. Kentland 33?
    By justjimmy in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 64
    Last Post: 06-12-2005, 08:14 PM
  3. World Of Fire Report: 07-06-02
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-07-2002, 04:54 PM
  4. Hoods
    By TLFD40 in forum Fireground Tactics
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 02-02-2002, 12:52 AM
  5. World Of Fire Report: 12-31-01
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-14-2002, 11:34 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register