Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 1/2 nozzle

MembersZone Subscriber

Default 2 1/2 nozzle

We are looking at buying a new 21/2 nozzle, what do you use, do you like it and why do you like it?

MembersZone Subscriber KevinFFVFD's Avatar

http://www.akronbrass.com/pages/akro...tml#turbojet06

thats what we use. its all ive ever used and its never given me a problem. we use it for both our 1.5 attack line and our 2.5 line as well. i think its a great product.

Another vote for Turbojet. Turbojet is my nozzle of choice for all sizes.
    Service is the rent you pay for having space on earth.

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Smoothbore. Minimum of 1 1/8 inch tip, 265 gpm at 50 psi. My volly FD, about 1/2 hour south of you uses a 1 1/4 inch tip which will flow up to 326 at 50 psi. We use it on 2 inch hose though.

I am a big fan of smooth bores and feel if you are flowing big water the smoothbore is a better choice for reach and penetration.

The Turbo Jet is a fine combo nozzle if you decide to go that way. Make sure it flows at least 250 gpm. Going low pressure is a good choice, 50 or 75 psi.

My opinion...stay away from automatic nozzles.

FyredUp

I figured I better put my justification in for advising to stay away from automatic nozzles. The main one is required maintence. If you are not willing or able to do the maintenance required for automatic nozzles don't use them. I have personally used automatic nozzles in classes that simply do not work properly because they are not maintained. Some would, on their own while flowing water, flip between 70 and 100 psi and no, they were not dual force nozzles. How do I know that? Inline pressure gauge behind the nozzle on the hoseline. If they are not maintained there is no guarantee that pressure or flow will be as was originally specified.
    Last edited by FyredUp; 05-16-2007 at 04:25 PM. Reason: To add info

MembersZone Subscriber

TFT Combination nozzle or smoothbore with 1 1/4" tip.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefSquirrel View Post
    TFT Combination nozzle or smoothbore with 1 1/4" tip.
    How can you put those two together in the same sentence. Sacrilege!!

Smoothbore for the same reasons as Fyredup stated. We use stacked tips leavingt he 1 1/8" on but training our personnel to take them down to the 1 1/4" as a rule. This gives them the two options 265 or 325 gom.

MembersZone Subscriber

Def. Akron Turbojet nozzles are the way to go. Have loved them ever since I laid my hands on them. Have never been a fan of TFT or Elkhart ... And especially not SabreJets haha

MembersZone Subscriber

Fyredup don't you also use Chief nozzles?

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

sklump: Fyredup don't you also use Chief nozzles?
    Yes we do. We use the 200 gpm at 75 psi Chief nozzle with the 1 1/4 inch slug tip behind that.

If you wanted to go with the Chief nozzle on your 2 1/2 inch line that would be a great compromise over a smoothbore. You could get it in 250 gpm at 50 psi, 250 gpm at 75 psi or 300 at 75 psi. The stream from the low pressure nozzle is far different from that of a 100 psi nozzle. The droplets are bigger and the stream looks far more like a smoothbore stream than the stream from a 100 psi nozzle.

By the way if I had my way our nozzles would have a 1 inch smoothbore tip then the 1 1/4 inch slug tip. I am working on the chief about this but haven't sold him on it yet.

FyredUp

Hey when are you coming down to look at our new engine?

2 1/2" lines have an Akron Pyrolite shutoff with a 1 1/8" tip.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

At my career department, our fog nozzles are Akron TurboJets. Straight streams are Akron playpipes with triple-stacked tips (1", 1 1/8", 1 1/4"). I'd personnally like them to put the pistol grips on the fogs.

Vollie department has TFT's, Thunderfog selectable gallonage for fogs and stacked playpipe (same as above) for the straight streams.

Cant' complain about the quality of either nozzle.

MembersZone Subscriber

A nice smooth bore with a simple shutoff. 1 1/8 or 1 1/4 and you have a nice workable package, stay away from the playpipe it is to big and the ladder hook is downright dangerous. Pistol grip is not needed, and I'm with the others if you have to have a fog stay away from an automatic like a TFT or SM30

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool 2 1/2" Nozzle

I prefer a TFT 2 1/2" nozzle...... Actually, I prefer a TFT nozzle period.
    "Be LOUD, Be PROUD..... It just might save your can someday when goin' through an intersection!!!!!"

Life on the Truck (Quint) is good.....

Eat til you're sleepy..... Sleep til you're hungry..... And repeat.....

We use a smoothbore with our 2.5 CAFS line.

Forum Member

Last edited by 5alarmcooker; 03-17-2008 at 07:46 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber ffmedcbk1's Avatar

old thread... but I have to say....

Akron 1442 w/o pistol grip with 1 1/4" tip (no stacked tips)

If big water is needed, why pick a "flow restiction device" (aka fog nozzle)?

We set up to hit with 326 gpm as a target flow with the 2 1/2" handline
    Yes, the reaction is something you'll need to work with in training.
    All of my companies use the tip as an inital attack interior and extierior attack line for commercial structures or large residential (in the SOG's)

Teach the guys to use good nozzle mechanics, proper control, good pump ops, and teamwork.

We do have some stacked tips (aka paramedic tips) but I have been on too many operations where they are using the 1" tip when they want big flows, keep them around if you need less flow, but big flows oput it out quicker and ultimately put it out faster with less water over all. I won't buy any more stacked 2.5" nozzles.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks everyone for the good input. Fyrdup yea Ihave to get down to see it, I did see it going down to Monroe, but not lose, it looks nice.

MembersZone Subscriber ShaversFork's Avatar

Akron 1442 w/o pistol grip with 1 1/4" tip - the real deal!
    "If Prometheus was worthy of the wrath of heaven for kindling the first fire upon earth, how ought all the Gods to honour the men who make it their professional business to put it out?"
    Smokey
    Local 4124

Forum Member

I hear alot of people talking about the standard tips and flows at 50 psi nozzle pressure. How about uping the nozzle pressure alittle. Here is an example.
    1" tip @ 100 psi NP = 300 GPM(killer stream)
    1-1/4" tip @ 80 psi NP 400 GPM
    These lines can be handled by one fireman in the sitting position pretty easy.
    Oh yea then there is the Big Paulie Nozzle. A two person 500 GPM nozzle through a 1-3/8" tip connected to a 2-1/2" ball valve and a stream shaper. Tyhi stuff is alittle out of the box but it kicks butt.

MembersZone Subscriber

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by BIG PAULIE View Post
    These lines can be handled by one fireman in the sitting position pretty easy.
    Oh yea then there is the Big Paulie Nozzle. A two person 500 GPM nozzle through a 1-3/8" tip connected to a 2-1/2" ball valve and a stream shaper. Tyhi stuff is alittle out of the box but it kicks butt.
    After reading your article in Fire-Rescue a few years back we 've been real interested in trying this (pre-RAM/Blitzfire). We had trouble finding the true 2.5" ball valve and an outer handle. Did find the ball valve but had to wait a long time to receive it as no one stocked it, and still no handle. I suspect you made this handle or had it fabricated? Our safety people are real squirrelly about "homemade" anything on anything flowing water.

Thread Information