Forum Member

Default QUestion about volunteer Chiefs

A few weeks ago, we had a bad storm in my little community, and it caused some flood damage to our convience store here in town(our only one). There was a 1/2" of standing water on the floor, and the false ceiling tiles were soaked with water, and falling down. Some of the light fixtures we full of water. Our Chief determined that the building was not safe for customers and the employess, so he shut the store down for the night( it was only two hours til close anyway. Well the next day he got a call from the mayor, and he was all sorts of p!$$ed off because of what the Chief did. The mayor said that he had no right to do that and that he(the mayor) was the only person with the authority to do that. The owner of the store was also upset because he said that he didnt want it closed, even though he was well aware of the present danger.

Now in the state of Texas, doesnt the Fire Chief of the district have the authority to do what he did? We don't have a Fire Marshal, or a Fire Inspector, just the Chief.

IS there something in writing that may have this on there? Maybe checking with our County ESD board?
    Matt

LIEUTENANT
    Covington Fire/Rescue, Texas

U.S.A.F Reserve Firefighter

Forum Member

Im not sure about the lonestar state but I know how NJ is. The law in NJ states, " If present or eminent danger is presented to civilians, the local Fire, Police, EMS, or OEM director (or Chief Officer) as the right, ability, and obligation to deem said structure unsafe or unfit for occupancy. This decision can not be overruled or overturned by any other governing official outside of the formentioned group. If it is a buisness which is deemed dangerous, property owners have no legal recourse against emergency directors for loss of wages or revenue." Now like I said, that is NJ and you are in Texas but I would imagine they are pretty similar. I would contact a few places for further clerification, NFPA, IAFF, National Volunteer Fire Council, or your local assembly person should be able to help you. Best of luck, I cant stand beurocrats. Stay safe.

Forum Member

I think the Chief did his job and the mayor is 100 percent out of line.
    FTM - BTB - KTF

Forum Member

Same with CT. The ranking fire officer on scene is god regardless of what the incident is what the mayor thinks.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

MembersZone Subscriber

I think I would've told the mayor to go pound sand up his ***.

Forum Member

I don't know about your local laws or the authority of your chief, but in my area, the health department has authority over any operation that manufactures, transports, stores, prepares, or serves any foodstuffs destined for human consumption. Any time we have so much as a grease fire at a restaurant, they want to know. We had a sprinkler go off in a local, chain-type pharmacy that also stocks food for sale. The local health guy had to be on scene to supervise cleanup and decide what foodstuffs could and couldn't be kept.

This may the way to go if the question ever comes up again.

Forum Member

Since you don't even have a county fire Marshall, then your next step should be to contact the state fire Marshall's office for clarification on this matter. In my opinion, your Chief did the right thing. But as we all know, the right thing is not always the easiest. Good luck
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Forum Member

Nothing more fun than small town politics. The cheif shouldn't have to go any farther than his "codes" book to make the mayor look like an idiot.

Thread Information