MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Default "NEW" Dollar Coins

Actually I have 3 at home already. Had 5.00 worth but I was a "nice guy" to a friend.

New Dollar Coin Goes Into Circulation
    Coins To Feature President John Adams

POSTED: 7:11 am EDT May 17, 2007

WASHINGTON -- Starting Thursday, former President John Adams will be getting some face-time.

In particular, the U.S. Mint is rolling out the second dollar coin in its presidential series, featuring the 18th century statesman.

Like the Mint's successful 50-state quarter program, the dollar coins will feature constantly changing designs. Coins featuring four new presidents will be put into circulation each year in the order they served.

The Mint is hoping the novelty of introducing a new design every three months will spur new coin-collectors. It's also hoping that as people get used to dollar coins, they'll begin putting them to use in vending machines and other places where it might be more convenient to use a dollar coin instead of four quarters.

However, naysayers believe dollar coins will never be widely used unless the government gets rid of paper dollars.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press.

Personally, although it did take some getting used to at first, I much prefer the 1 and 2 dollar coins (even though when you have a whole hockeysock full of them ...) because they don't get mixed up with the "real" money. AND I will admit, the US 1 dollar coin looks a lot kuuller than the Canadian coin.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

MembersZone Subscriber

Most vending machines can't take the new dollar coin yet, only the spankin new ones right off the line can take them.

I only get them as change at the post office. Otherwise, I don't see them very often.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

MembersZone Subscriber

The "John Adams"????

How do you make a funny name out of that?

Maybe by the time they get around to the Polk?
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

I seem to remember our US friends laughing themselves silly at our dollar coins when they first came out.

He who laughs last...
    IACOJ
    If you are willing to teach;
    I am willing to learn.

Forum Member

the only problem with dollar coins is carrying them around. dollar bills are easy to store in a wallet, but coins might get annoying. they'll fall out, and jingle around in your pocket. that's the only reason i don't like coins

but that's just my two cents

MembersZone Subscriber

Well. Here is my 2 cent story (maybe I should post it in that Other Thread? LOL) Anyhow, back in the early stage of my army career, during the pub-crawl days, I remember gauging the "success" of a night out by the number of one dollar bills I used to come home with. I'd usually start the night with about 100.00 in 20's, in my pocket; back then drinks were about $2.85 each beer or hi-balls.

Anyhow, it was always considered a "good night" if I came home with 25 or 30 dollars in one's. Mostly because thats about all I'd have left over from carousing all night long.

Then we changed over to the coins and as has been mentioned, yes if you have a large stock of them in your pocket they can get heavy. I've been known to pay an entire 30 dollar meal with just one and two dollar coins, because thats "all I had" with me.

Since moving to the US, whenever I use cash (still do for a lot of things) I grumble about the one dollar bills, because when I reach into my pocket (I dont put cash in my wallet) all I get is this great wad of ones. Thats about when I find out I didnt have as much cash as I thought I did. That can turn embarrassing real quick.

With the coins, they go in my right front pocket and paper money is in the left. Never shall the two meet except on the counter, for payment.

Also for a while I was doing a very good job of saving, because I was dumping all the coins I had at the end of the day into a jar on the counter. When you start dropping one and two dollar coins instead of just quarters, dimes, nickles and coppers..... it adds up real quick. WWOOHHHOOO
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

Forum Member

Default Don't do away with paper

How do you put a coin in a G-String........
    The end of life as we know it.

Forum Member

Strippers are smart. Since we got Dollar and Two dollar coin in Canada, the strippers have now invented the Dive for Five. What used to cost a buck now costs five lol.

Cheers Firedog21
    I.A.F.F. Proud

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by waterboy1 View Post
    How do you put a coin in a G-String........
    The end of life as we know it.
    NECESSITY is the Mother of all ADAPTATIONS......
    Last edited by MalahatTwo7; 05-18-2007 at 03:06 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firedog21 View Post
    Strippers are smart. Since we got Dollar and Two dollar coin in Canada, the strippers have now invented the Dive for Five. What used to cost a buck now costs five lol.

Cheers Firedog21
    I.A.F.F. Proud
    That makes me remember my single days during boot camp....

I mean...Ummmmm
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by firedog21 View Post

Cheers Firedog21
    I.A.F.F. Proud
    I was shocked after college when I came out west and found the strippers letting patrons toss loonies and toonies at them for posters and pictures.

Some evil SOB's even took to heating them up with a lighter before tossing them in "unmentionable" places.

As for dollar bills, with the dollar so useless now, you will quickly find that it is nice not having to pull out your wallet and hunt through bills when you just want a buck or two for the pop machine or pay phone, parking, etc.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Thread Information