Forum Member

Default Any advise will help

Im starting the fire science/fire academy this fall. I have four years as an active duty Marine with an honorable discharge under my belt. I dont know any firefighters so I have no one to get info from. I want to work outdoors as much as possible (risk is a plus), and I enjoy helping people. I was wondering if I am on the right track to become a firefighter, or what will help to better my chances. Also if there are any particular jobs that might interest me. Thanks for the help
    Mike

MembersZone Subscriber

Where are you going to do all of this? What school? The fire science program is being changed to fire service technician or something like that. It's really nice. You will earn a bunch of certs before you graduate. It's just a little bit longer and hard to graduate in two years. However, you will come out with not only a degree, but Firefighter 1, EMT-B, Driver/Operator, Fire Inspector and possibly Firefighter 2 for you Elective credits. It works out great. I'm halfway through and transferred to the new program. This is all at MATC in Milwaukee, but I think the degree changed for the whole state.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default On the right track

I can say that you would probably be on the right track if you get these under your belt prior to pushing to get on. The thing about the schooling now is that you can your cert's online with the exception of a couple of classes requiring hands-on, such as cause/origin determination. Depending on what state you are from, and with some fed funds for service, you should come out very well on it. University of Cinn.; West Georgia Tech, Augusta Tech (Augusta,GA), and many many more have these available now.
    If you want the thrill and the jump then go to Asheville,NC for the smoke jumpers schools as well as a few others.

I finished mine approx 4 yrs ago. If I can be of assistance to you then give me a shout on here and I will see what I can do. My oldest son. who works in neighboring district, has about 3 more quarters and he will be through it and ready to go. Dont forget your HazMat lessons :-)
    GOOD LUCK!

Forum Member

hey clark you go to MATC downtown? I am gettin into the Fire science program this fall so i heard its going through alot of changes, and that you can pretty much get all your certs with the associate degreee. Hopefully see you around.

MembersZone Subscriber

Yea MATC Milwaukee, but the campus is in Oak Creek. Not sure downtown offers any fire classes. I know the training grounds are at the OC campus.

Forum Member

I am going to MATC in Madison but I will go anywhere.
    Last edited by mike53719; 05-23-2007 at 06:11 PM.

Forum Member

I submitted a reply about an hour ago but I don't see it, so I will do another just in case. I am going to MATC in Madison, I haven't heard anything about them changing the program but it sounds like it will be a good deal if they do.

Hazmatroz: I would love to become a smoke jumper. Do you think I should try to get into that school before I finish here in Wisconsin?
    Are smoke jumpers full time, if not what do they do in the off season?

Are there any chances that a fire department would hire me before I graduate?( do they recruit?)

I really appreciate this website, your responses do help, so thank you
    Last edited by mike53719; 05-23-2007 at 06:12 PM.

Forum Member

Good luck in Madison Mike. MATC Madison is a good school and does have a good program. Your best bet would be to get on a dept around the Madison area, there are quite a few there. Some offer internships where you live at the station, respond on calls, etc. It is a great learning experience and cuts the cost of living on your own. Some of those depts will also pay or at least supplement any certifications you want to obtain like driver/operator, FF1, FF2, EMT etc. MATC does not have those certifications incorporated into the program yet, but that could have changed. If you can't find an internship, you can always volunteer. The dept I interned with had a few others from my class as volunteers and the dept picked up their certification classes as well.

As for getting hired while in the program. Go for it if you are lucky enough. Some depts do not require any education and will train you on their own. Not a lot of them out there, but the City of Madison and Milwaukee do not require any education or certifications to get on. Also, even if in the program, go out and still test where you can. The hiring process can take a year or more before a depts hires you. In that time you could be graduated or at the very least you get experience testing and interviewing.

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm in the middle of the hiring process with the city of Madison right now. I was up there last weekend to practice for their PAT since its different than the average CPAT. The Fire Science campus seemed AMAZING. I like how they have their own building and entire training academy right there. Hopefully I'll get the job and get to transfer to that campus from Milwaukee.

I'm taking EMT-B in Madison over the summer.(I know an hour and a half drive each way every Tuesday and Thursday. : ( ) Has anyone taken it there before? I'm not familiar with the campus, but was curious if its in that Fire Science building. Also, how did any of you like the class there? This is my second time taking it. I took it over here last semester and I failed
    I got a 77% and they require a 78%. Funny thing is, Madison only requires a 76%. They also only count the written tests as 50% of the grade. Where as its 100% over here. I like how they focus on the practical skills as well. The instructors here told me I'd have no problem taking it a second time because my practical skills were always at the top of the class. I just sucked at tests. About half of every EMT class at Milwaukee seemed to fail as well. Just wondering if the fail rate is as high in Madison. Not trying to make excuses, but just would like some extra info. Thanks.

Forum Member

Clark,

If things have not changed the EMT classes are held at the Commercial drive campus of MATC. That campus is next to the Oscar Meyer plant and has more of the apprentice trades courses there.

MATC has the main Truax campus by the airport and is where the fire training center is. The downtown campus and Commercial drive campus.

As for the EMT course there, I don't know if it is better or worse than Milwaukee. Some instructors tend to be better than others and it is also how well you apply yourself to the subject. Some people just don't test well, so learn from your tests, find your weak spots and work on those. Having a study partner can help too. Good luck with Madison though.

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

If you have questions on the MATC-Madison Associate degree program call 1-800-322-6282, extension 6911 and speak with Dawn. If anyone knows if the program has been changed it will be her.

FyredUp

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Augusta GA agility test

Saw some postings about augusta tech. Just wondering if anubody in this forum might know what is on the augusta/richmond fire department physical agility test. I am suppose to test there the week after next. They sent nothing telling me of what is on the test and when i called the administrative secretary to confirm my test date last week she told me they could not tell anyone what was on the test we had to find out when we get there. Bizarre. This is the first departemnt i've tested at that did not give you something telling you what is on it or at least tell you verbally. I tried to call the training department and they said they couldnt tell me either. The point is i am from out of state and have no fire department contacts within the department that i can ask. I do not want to spend over a hundred dollars on gas and more on a hotel to come down if i do not think the test is something i will do good on. If anybody knows anything it would be greatly appreciated.

Thread Information