Forum Member

Default Traditional Style Helmet or Modern Style?

Just want everybody's opinion. Would you rather a traditional style lid (i.e carins 1010, Morning Pride Ben II Ples, etc.) or the modern style (i.e cairns 660, Bullard PX, Morning Pride Lite Force) I personally use both. My everyday structural is a black Cairns N5A New Yorker leather but for extrications and tech. rescue I use a black Cairns 660. Both have the ups and downs. What does everyone think? Stay safe.

Gary

MembersZone Subscriber

Wink Helmet vs helmet

I'd say take a good look at both helmets. Does either one sit higher on the top of your head?
    This could be important going interior on a fire where there might be "Stuff" hanging low.

Does either fit better with a SCBA?

Does either have a tendency to fall forward (Even with the chin strapped)?

Does either have a better overall fit?

Don't let tradition or asthetics (How it looks) make your decision for you.

I know you said they both have their ups and downs, but these are some of the areas that it all boils down to.

Forum Member

My dept issues every member the Cairns 660 Fire Helmet. I've used other styles a couple times before while at the fire school etc. My favourite was by far a leather, although a little bit heavier than my normal helmet.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Temporarily Inactive

Personally out of the two you mentioned i like the traditional (what we use)
    BUT, I really like the west coast helmets...l.a. city style. Im not sure of the manufacturer. As for the "modern style"..We call them jolly vollie helmets.

Forum Member

Amazing, you join less than a week ago, and I have seen 3 posts bashing volunteer firefighters profire.

One of which was obviously aimed to start conflict, if you are a career firefighter, you dont go into a volunteer forum and post a brand new thread asking how many people have lightbars that cost more than their car.

Temporarily Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by FireDawgEMT22 View Post
    Amazing, you join less than a week ago, and I have seen 3 posts bashing volunteer firefighters profire.

One of which was obviously aimed to start conflict, if you are a career firefighter, you dont go into a volunteer forum and post a brand new thread asking how many people have lightbars that cost more than their car.
    You "DONT?"...Who are you, The 1st Amendment police?If you dont like the question then move on...

Forum Member

Ok let me rephrase, we mature forum members, who like to engage in meaningful debates, where we may learn something. DO NOT try and start career vs vollie threads. Everyone who wears the title of firefighter(and not jr or explorer) has training and does the same job. Yes there are different catagories within this field (ie hazmat, high angle rescue, etc) But career or volunteer, we all do the same thing, one is not better than the other. When you attack the volunteer personnel with your comments, and attack people in general on these forums directly, which you have done. You lose respect, and have a good chance of getting booted. Disagree on issues, attack issues, not people.

Temporarily Inactive

Ok let me rephrase, we mature forum members, who like to engage in meaningful debates, where we may learn something. DO NOT try and start career vs vollie threads. Everyone who wears the title of firefighter(and not jr or explorer) has training and does the same job. Yes there are different catagories within this field (ie hazmat, high angle rescue, etc) But career or volunteer, we all do the same thing, one is not better than the other. When you attack the volunteer personnel with your comments, and attack people in general on these forums directly, which you have done. You lose respect, and have a good chance of getting booted. Disagree on issues, attack issues, not people.
    Same training...No, Same experience..No Same job? Heck No.
    May i ask...Are you a Veteran? I assume no after seeing your age and then your years of service. Grow some skin.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by profire1 View Post
    May i ask...Are you a Veteran? I assume no after seeing your age and then your years of service. Grow some skin.
    FireDog has 3 years less than you do as far as time in and your acting like he's brand new on the job. If thats the case what does it make you?

Once again, you'll go far on here I can tell. Drop the hero act tough guy. Your not fooling anyone
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Temporarily Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by ndvfdff33 View Post
    FireDog has 3 years less than you do as far as time in and your acting like he's brand new on the job. If thats the case what does it make you?

Once again, you'll go far on here I can tell. Drop the hero act tough guy. Your not fooling anyone
    He NOT on the job....and its spelled DAWG...

MembersZone Subscriber

So anyways..........I love my Ben 2!

Forum Member

Actually, I do get paid for doing this, although I would do it for free. So I guess I am "on the job"

MembersZone Subscriber

I like traditional styles. I use an 880, and it works well for me. I like the fit and ballance.

Forum Member

Actually, I do get paid for doing this, although I would do it for free. So I guess I am "on the job"
    Gotta love when people make assumptions eh?

Ryan

Forum Member

Default Both Sides of Arguement

ProFire, I can understand your side. I myself am also a career FF. Theres nothing like it and we must have pride in what we do. But please remember, whether volunteer or career we are all here for the same thing. To protect lives and property. I am a career FF in one of the busiest cities in NJ, however I am also a member of a 100% volunteer dept. in southern NJ. I can say with all confidence that 90% of the guys I serve with on the vol. dept. are as skilled firefighters as my everyday crew at work. So try and see both sides, just because they are not getting a paycheck at the end of te week doesn't make them less of a smoke eater. **** can go wrong when your a volunteer the same way it can if your paid, we are ALL firefighters when smoke clears (pardon the pun). Stay safe everyone.

Gary

Forum Member

Default Leather helmet

Also, if your dept. allows it I strongly recommend a Cairns Leather N5A New Yorker, fits your head great and just looks cool. Great helmet. Stay Safe.

MembersZone Subscriber

This is hysterical. You are commenting on someone else's spelling and grammar, and the first part of your post is not even a coherent phrase!!!
    Co 11
    Virginia Beach FD

Amateurs practice until they get it right; professionals practice until they cannot get it wrong. Which one are you?

'The fire went out and nobody got hurt' is a poor excuse for a fireground critique.

Forum Member

Now to the actual post since the bad man has stopped posting. My first dept I was on issued the 660's I think...modern style none the less. And I didnt think anything of them. My second issued the 660's to volunteers and 1010 to the career guys, It was a big vollie vs career with alot of them, but i digress. I actually liked the looks of the 1010's but thats all I had experienced of them. My dept now issues the 1044's (gloss finish 1010's essentially) and I like them.. They fit well, of course i like the look of them. I have never had a problem with one falling off, and yes I am one of those idiots who never does up his chinstrap (I have bad habits I know) They take the heat well, the stickers are another story, got a brand new helmet last fall, and I have been in a couple fires since, first fire melted the reflectors and bubbled paint on my shield. But I like the traditional. Just seems to fit my melon better.

the 4-1-4

Check into the Paul Conway series, they are all very good helmets. If you go with the American Heritage or the American Classic you'll be fine. Both are very good 'traditional helmets'.

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

profire1,

Thanks for another couple of postings that prove you are nothing more than a pot stirring troll who has nothing od value to add to these forums.

It must be tough to be so filled with self hatred that you have the need to rip on fellow Brother firefighters. Get some help there may be time for you to actually find a way to like yourself again.

Have a nice day.

FyredUp
    Last edited by FyredUp; 05-19-2007 at 09:53 PM.

Temporarily Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    profire1,

Thanks for another couple of postings that prove you are nothing more than a pot stirring troll who has nothing od value to add to these forums.

It must be tough to be so filled with self hatred that you have the need to rip on fellow Brother firefighters. Get some help there may be time for you to actually find a way to like yourself again.

Have a nice day.

FyredUp
    Dr. Phil.......

Forum Member

Fyredup, don't take it personally, she is obviously ignorant. Hopefully she will be removed from the forum shortly. Stay safe.
    Gary
    Firefighter/EMT-B
    -------------------
    Stay Safe
    Leather Forever......F.O.O.L.S.

Temporarily Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by TRFirefighter25 View Post
    Fyredup, don't take it personally, she is obviously ignorant. Hopefully she will be removed from the forum shortly. Stay safe.
    Guarunteed 100% that I will NOT be removed..If YOU only knew.

Forum Member

Tell me profire, so I understand. Why is a ignorant, mean spirited poster immune from the rules of the forum. What makes you special. Enlighten us all please.
    Gary
    Firefighter/EMT-B
    -------------------
    Stay Safe
    Leather Forever......F.O.O.L.S.

Temporarily Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by TRFirefighter25 View Post
    Tell me profire, so I understand. Why is a ignorant, mean spirited poster immune from the rules of the forum. What makes you special. Enlighten us all please.
    I have broken NO rules.
    There is a difference between offending which is freedom and violating rules.
    Certainly this forum isnt full of a bunch of thin skined liberals that have issues.

Thread Information