Forum Member

Question Question for all of you

I know the term FTM-PTB is pretty common in the service. Is this "slogan" strictly somthing used by FOOLS (Frat. Order Of Leatherheads?) I have seen several people use it, and several tattoos that have these letters. Since they are an Order, is is like taboo to use these or are they free game?? Any thoughts??
    Thanks guys

MembersZone Subscriber

whats FTM-PTB?

Forum Member

"F**K The Mutt, Protect The Brothers"

Temporarily Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by Bluecup View Post
    "F**K The Mutt, Protect The Brothers"
    Never heard of it. Im onduty for 24 hours then i "clock" out. Too much to do in life to worry about that crap.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by profire1 View Post
    Never heard of it. Im onduty for 24 hours then i "clock" out. Too much to do in life to worry about that crap.
    So you don't care about your fellow brothers/sisters??

The whole meaning is we need to stick together not only from "administration" but to make sure everyone goes home when they are done.

Glad I'm not working with you.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Your attitude is exactly why we say FTM-PTB.
    Greater love has no man than to lay his life down for a friend.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Lightbulb Yeah......

Quote Originally Posted by rpferry View Post
    Your attitude is exactly why we say FTM-PTB.
    Thanks Bro, You're right on target.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Well Im not not getting into that debate...
    Anyway, like I said, I saw a maltese cross tattoo that had this inside of it, and it looks awsome. I thought about getting somthing like it, but not if its one of thoses things that are frowned on by the FOOLS. Kinda like getting a motorcycle ganges tattoo when your not a member...not too smart or respectful.
    Anyone??

Forum Member

It's still a free country. You can pretty much say what you want as long as it's not threatening.

I may be a Fool, but I'm not a F.O.O.L. Other than on these forums, never heard/seen much of a F.O.O.L. organization so I can't say it's anything worth worrying over. Say what you want.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member
    Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

If you use it, than go by it.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bluecup View Post
    Well Im not not getting into that debate...
    Anyway, like I said, I saw a maltese cross tattoo that had this inside of it, and it looks awsome. I thought about getting somthing like it, but not if its one of thoses things that are frowned on by the FOOLS. Kinda like getting a motorcycle ganges tattoo when your not a member...not too smart or respectful.
    Anyone??
    What! You scared of a bunch of firemen?!!
    IAFF

Temporarily Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by Dickey View Post
    So you don't care about your fellow brothers/sisters??

The whole meaning is we need to stick together not only from "administration" but to make sure everyone goes home when they are done.

Glad I'm not working with you.
    How is that statement mean in anyway that i dont care about fellow firefighters. All i said was when im off duty im off duty. I actually have never heard of that "slogan" and it really doesnt bother me that i hav'nt. All i know is that when off duty time comes around firefighting is the LAST thing on my mind.

Forum Member

The FOOLS don't have a copy right or anything like that on FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-KTF-RFB or any of the others that we use. The are ideas and short statements that we believe in. I would say that if you believe in it even if you aren't a member of a FOOLS chapter then go for it.

Here is a link to our international page if anyone wants to see what the FOOLS are about. www.foolsinternational.com

Here are some words by Bob Pressler about the FOOLS signature.

Every time I am visiting the FOOL’s site, I am always drawn to what I call our “signature” >FTM-PTB; EGH; RFB; KTF; This group of letters, assembled over time, has become a platform for us to live by. I would like to share some of my thoughts on these letters and what they mean to me.

The Fire service, as a whole, is collectively still trying to recover from the effects of Sep’t 11. The 343 members of the FDNY who made the supreme sacrifice that day will always be in our hearts and forever on our minds. As part of our FOOL’s “signature”, R-F- B, “Remember Fallen Brothers”, these heroes should never and will never be forgotten. This should also include ALL of our fallen Brothers, no matter where they were from, or the matter in which they died. Their names have been added to long list of those that have laid down their lives so that others may live.

And although “EGH”, Everybody Goes Home” is not always possible, it is part of what we strive for. It is why we train, it is why we read, it is why we interact with each other. We need to share the knowledge. The more we share, the more we pass on what we have learned, the safer we will be. The fewer funerals we will have to go to, the more of our Brothers and Sisters that will go home. Because it is all about protecting each other.
    We are each other’s keepers, and FTM-PTB is our motto. F>> The Mutts, Protect the Brothers. And make no mistake about it the Mutts are everywhere. In NYC, the sacrifices on 9/11 have already been put on the back burner as the politicians line up to make budget cuts, close companies and not pay a fair wage to the Brothers and Sisters of the FDNY.

In California, a Chief has gone on the rampage about the length of his peoples’ mustaches. It just so happens that these are the motivated people in his organization, the ones that have started a campaign about Company pride and tradition. This is his answer to pride and Brotherhood. His Department is in turmoil, but the written reprimands about hair length will certainly help boost morale and keep the Department running smoothly. He has become a new Nero, fiddling while his “Rome” burns down.

Everywhere we look there are mutts that cannot, will not, or don’t want to understand the Brotherhood of the Fire service.

The last part of our signature is KTF, or Keep the Faith. With all that has happened we must believe. We must have faith in ourselves and in the others that think like us. They can transfer us, they can make you cut your mustache, the can tell you what you can’t wear on your helmet, but never let them break your spirit!

Forum Member

How is that statement mean in anyway that i dont care about fellow firefighters. All i said was when im off duty im off duty. I actually have never heard of that "slogan" and it really doesnt bother me that i hav'nt. All i know is that when off duty time comes around firefighting is the LAST thing on my mind.
    ...quietly tiptoeing out before your blanket party begins pal.

Temporarily Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by RESERVEFORNOW View Post
    ...quietly tiptoeing out before your blanket party begins pal.
    no tiptoeing about it. I meant exactly what i said.

Forum Member

Do you post on the forums in your on or off duty time?
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Temporarily Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    Do you post on the forums in your on or off duty time?
    With two small kids....i spend very little time on the computer...I goto work to REST!! On duty however our union pays for the computer and inet so its GREAT to use the inet while on duty.

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Ah, profire1, a prime example of the new breed of firefighters..to them it is just a job. If it wasn't this it would be garbageman or McDonald's cook. It doesn't matter.

FyredUp

MembersZone Subscriber

How is that statement mean in anyway that i dont care about fellow firefighters.
    If I have to explain it, you just won't get it.
    Whatever. Carry on.

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Ah, profire1, a prime example of the new breed of firefighters..to them it is just a job. If it wasn't this it would be garbageman or McDonald's cook. It doesn't matter.
    FyredUp
    You are so true. I see more and more of this type of attitude lately. Does that mean that we are getting old and bitching about the next generation such as the previous one did about us???
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

MembersZone Subscriber

With two small kids....i spend very little time on the computer...I goto work to REST!! On duty however our union pays for the computer and inet so its GREAT to use the inet while on duty.
    So you are using the tax payer money to get on these forums and spread your diatribe. Good for you. At my old department we didn't have these kind of benies. I spend my time, at home, quitely reading these forums to gain insight and knowledge of a profession I not only love, but respect. I hope you to can come to this self–realization. Please go to a F.O.O.L.S. website and do some research. It will serve you well.
    Greater love has no man than to lay his life down for a friend.

Forum Member

It seems most of this guys posts end up being volunteer bashing. So I guess he just doesnt care about the volunteers. Its just a job, and if you are not doing it full time, your a joke who is doin it as a hobby.

Forum Member

Thanks GFDLT1 for the insight.
    I too think there are a lot of people who are entering the service that look at it as just another job. ( that comment is NOT directed at anyone spec.) Kinda goes along w/ FTM-PTB...too bad the brotherhood part seems to be fading fast at a lot of dept's.

Forum Member

With two small kids....i spend very little time on the computer...I goto work to REST!!

I suppose you are one of the braggarts thats tells this to the public, goes around showing your pay check to others and consider the FD a part time job that you have just for the bennies...

Yeah, we have a few of them too... we call them dickheads...
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    I suppose you are one of the braggarts thats tells this to the public, goes around showing your pay check to others and consider the FD a part time job that you have just for the bennies...

Yeah, we have a few of them too... we call them dickheads...
    It seems to correlate with their inability on scenes, too. That is the one thing I admire about the VFD's(Volunteer Fraternity Departments), all their members want to be there and want to do work. In the career ranks, there's always "that guy" that complains about doing what they are paid to do.
    I believe them bones are me. Some say we are born into the grave. I feel so alone, gonna end up a big ol' pile a them bones

-J. Cantrell

Forum Member

FDAIC...
    "Those guys" are in volunteer FD's too..

"Smoke showin'.. hell yeah I'm goin'!"
    "EMS? Someone else's mess"
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Thread Information