Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber

Question Raleigh Vs. Charlotte.. Durham or Greenville

Raleigh Vs. Charlotte.. Durham or Greenville....

Can Someone anyone please give me as much info as you can about these departmnts... How hard it is to get into them?, Will paramedic help, will an associates degree help, what are the best ways to try and obtain a job in a city in north carolina?

- Thanks -

Temporarily Inactive

THE BEST way is the same Nationwide...Be a Veteran. Yes, I think a Medic certificate would be VERY helpful unless a department doesnt do ems...Of course year after year more fie depts. ARE running ems.

Forum Member

There is no easy way to get hired. You have to take the same tests that everyone else does and even if you have all of your certs you still must attend a full length accademy. Raleigh and Charlotte both are now using the CPAT as their agility tests. The other tests associated with getting onto the departments are different. Most that apply for these depts aren't hired their first times. They are all good depts. and have their problems just like any dept does. If you PM me I can give you some email addresses of some of their members and you can ask them directly. I hope this helps. By the way Raleigh has a new chief who has only been in town for about a year and is making some good changes. He was formally a Fire Commissioner in Philly.

Well, it depends. What type of department are you looking for? I don't know much about Charlotte other than it appears to be a good place to work by all accounts. I do, however, know people who work on the other three. I live in Greenville during the school year, and while it's a good department, its probably the slowest of the three. Greenville isn't exactly the best place to live and some say it's in the middle of no-where. They have Quints and if I'm not mistaken ( I might be) they are a few trucks short of the total quint concept. You'll work one month on the truck, one month on the engine, and one month on the medic unit. I don't know as much about the inner workings of RFD other than it seems to be where everyone around here tries to get hired at. I do know that it is probably the highest paid (living cost is more than likely higher in Charlotte) of the four and a guy I know works there said that his station runs at least 11 fire related alarms a shift. Finally, it's been said that Durham is the "Hell's Kitchen" of NC. The living conditions and inner city of Durham are rapidly deteriorating and the city is crime ridden. The academy is ran like a military boot camp, but by all accounts, they have a fair amount of working fires. I know this was long, but I hope it helps.
    Just know, I chose my own fate. I drove by the fork in the road and went straight.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi View Post
    Go put your pussy 2 1/2" lines away kiddies.

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer343

By the way KEEPBACK200FEET, you're so dramatic!

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey GFDLT1 what does " PM " you mean... my email is dkiefer19@yahoo.com if you want to send me those email adresses.

MembersZone Subscriber ffemtPAJ's Avatar

the forums at www.firenews.net can give you a lot of information about NC departments.
    PAJ

IACOJ Rehab Sector

Quote Originally Posted by DaveKiefer View Post
    Hey GFDLT1 what does " PM " you mean... my email is dkiefer19@yahoo.com if you want to send me those email adresses.
    PM: private message, one of the features on the user CP.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

So does the paramedic and asociates degree help in north carolina or not... prefeably in those cities... not to mention concord or shelby..?
    -Firefighting is a lifestyle NOT a career-

Being a paramedic will help in Greenville...they are the primary EMS provdier for the city. As far as I know all the other cities only do basic level first responder.

The associates degree will help more than the paramedic cert. There are not that many depts. around the Charlotte-Metro area that have paramedics on companies. Send me a private message I'll be able to tell you some specifics.

I live in Durham and there are worse cities in NC than Durham. Been to Fayetteville lately?

Durham FD runs Intermediate squad rigs and the guys that run on the squads are very good. I worked for Durham County EMS for a........good while shall we say.......and the fire department there is very good at what they do.

I warn you with this, if you do not like running EMS runs than Durham is not for you. DCEMS, DPD, DFD, and the county Sheriff's office all work EXTREMELY well together. In fact was all prided ourselves on how well we work together.

Now if you hate running EMS, you can go join the Raleigh Fire Department and bitch about it with the rest of the guys there (as I hear thing being told by numerous Wake County Paramedics.)

A very large portion of the Intermediates and Paramedics on the Durham Fire Department work per diem for Durham County EMS. This is why we work so well together. We respect each other, watch each others' backs, and train/play/work together. No territorial ****ing contests.

And yes, Durham does burn and has a great deal of trauma from the gangbangers and morons that can't drive well.

Unfortunately DFD does not pay well, but no stupid 56 hour work weeks.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Quote Originally Posted by profire1 View Post
    THE BEST way is the same Nationwide...Be a Veteran. Yes, I think a Medic certificate would be VERY helpful unless a department doesnt do ems...Of course year after year more fie depts. ARE running ems.
    I am not saying it is sound logic, but veteran does not a mean a thing around here. All that will help you is paramedic. Already being firefighter and EMT certified is not even a guarantee.

I have always heard good things about Charlotte.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Default How to get into the firefighting feild in NC

Hello,

I am new to the world of firefighting but I am determined to get in. I do want to go to school in this feild eventually but not at this moment. My girlfriend's brother is a firefighter in willmington. He got started by just trying out and got in. I do not have any major qualifacations except that I am in the army reserve for the last 7 years. I am now in a drill sergeant unit 3rd bn/ 518th ifantry reg. I have been overseas in 05-06 and have veterans status, I am 26 years old. I am trying my hardest to get into a fire dept unit by the means of trying out or anything else except school right now. If anyone has any way to help me I would greatly appreciate it thanks and godbless.

I live in the central part of the state and the past few months I have been looking into different departments across the state and starting the application process.
    In January I applied to a metro department in NC. 200 people applied for 18-25 possible positions. First was the open house, you had to sign-in so that they could see who was the most interested in getting the job(200 people turned in applications). About two-three weeks later I got a letter in the mail saying I moved to the next round of hiring which was the physical agility test( about 150 applicants were left). The firefighter in charge of the agility test said I performed above-average for the time trial; two weeks after that I got another letter stating I moved on in the process and to attend the three hour written examination and submit a background check.(around 70 applicants left) One week after that I got a call from the chief in charge of hiring; he told me I passed the test and I moved on in the process and to schedule for an interview in front of a seven member interview board of various fire department officers.(35 applicants left) I was told by word of mouth from some of the fire fighters within that department that the board was impressed with my oral interview. Two weeks later I got a letter saying that I did not make the final selection, so I basically made it to the final round of hiring my first try at getting a fire department job with only some volly experience and having recently graduating an academy and getting my certs. They ended up sending around 22 out of the 35 final applicants through their own four month department academy before putting them on a truck because the chief's view is that he wants all his firefighters to have the exact training for the job.

Raleigh, Charlotte, Durham, Greensboro, High Point, wilmington, and the other major metro fire departments around the state are not the easiest to get a job at. Having paramedic will help some but most of these departments are about the same and they only run BLS. One of the Battalion chiefs that helped with hiring said that a two-year or four-year degree will help as they are looking for highly motivated and educated people, but it helps more if the major is fire related. At the major metro departments they pay like an extra $1500-$3500 more annually if you have a two-year degree and about double that if you have a four-year degree.

The best way to go about getting a job at a major metro department in NC:
    1.) Try if possible to arrange to meet and get to know the chief in charge of hiring for the department before you apply to get your name known.
    2.)If you know anybody on that department use them as references
    3.)If you are in good with any high ranking fire offical in the state with alot of strings talk to them about putting in a good word for you with the hiring chief
    4.) I was told to re-apply because they keep track of the people that didn't get selected; so if you are not hired the first time re-apply, they are looking for who really wants the job.
    5.) Try your best at each step in the process, be doing alot of cardio and leg work, most of these jobs make you do a CPAT or something similar so be in shape. If you have to take a written exam look or ask for a practice one, I know a practice exam for mine was offered and believe me I was told out the 70 people that took my exam I was one of about 30 that actually passed it. Be ready for the interview, ask someone who has been through a department hiring interview to sit down with you and practice with you. They are going to be firing out personal questions one after another about your life, your goals, your experience, and your character and traits.
    6.) You might want to consider getting hired at a smaller department and working there for around three years give or take a year and then apply to a bigger department after you already have some experience.
    7.) Try to grab some certs from weekend colleges held twice anually at various colleges around the state because it shows that you are motivated and you want to be the best and most knowledgable at anything fire service related.
    I have made no claims at knowing all the answers or having years of experience, all this information I gave to you I was told personally by someone within the fire department during the hiring process so i figured I would give me own personal experience with applying to metro fire departments in NC. Message me back for more information.

Beenie your military experience should help you out, the bigger departments show preference towards veterens. It shows you have discipline and that you can perform well as a member of a team. If your an officer it will help as well because it shows you have some leadership qualities.

Forum Member

Raleigh will be taking applications beginning on June 28th, you can download one off of the city's website. The city is growing exponentially (I think that Wake county adds 36,000 residents a week), and therefore is planning to run academy's at least once a year. The department is getting busier everyday and the new chief is instituting new policies and ideas to help deal with this growth. Durham is just to the north west of Raleigh and is growing at a slower pace. Durham might be the place for you if you enjoy being a medic, as you will definetly get to work some challenging truamas because of the gang and drug problems that exist. If you want to get hired by Raleigh the best time to apply is now, because competition for the job is only going to get stronger as the city continues to grow. To be honest, most of the suburbs of Raleigh are becoming combination (paid and volunteers), it might be a good idea to come work for one of those depts. while you wait for Raleigh to call you into the academy.

Forum Member

Default Coming to North Carolina for work

Dave, what state are you coming from and what credentials are you bringing with you beside EMT and Associates Degree ? --W

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Getting Hired in NC..

Hi, I work on the Recruitment Work-team for the Cary Fire Department which is right next to Raleigh Fire. The hiring process is about the same for all the municipalities in the general area. You have to do an agility test, written test, and then depending on the department you might have to do one or two interviews. Keep in mind that most of the pay scales are close to one another. Also this is a RIGHT TO WORK STATE so when you get in one fire department and try to switch to another, you have to start all over again as a fire fighter. I'm not going to say that one fire department is better than the other. They all have their pros and cons. As for running fire calls by far Charlotte and Raleigh run over Thirty- five thousand calls a year and they both have over twenty eight stations. Durham has sixteen stations and run up to or over twenty- five thousand calls themselves. Yes, the city is one of the oldest cities in NC., but they are a very close knit department. Yes, Raleigh has a new Fire Chief who has by far helped bring a lot of camaraderie to the department. Good luck, the process is very time comsuming, try to have patience when applying. Some people get hired the first time, and some are still trying. Also a two year degree is a good thing to have. Some departments require it for their promotional process for fire officers.

Forum Member

jkjohnson, how many calls did Cary run last year?

I work with a department in Wake County which is where Raleigh and Cary are located. Both of these departments are great to be at. Raleigh runs more working fires than Cary. The starting pay is a little bit more in Cary and you also have more chances at moving up in Raleigh at this time because of the number of stations and the number of people hired. Charlotte is probably the busiest and largest of the departments you asked about they have 38 or 39 stations. Durham is probably the next busiest but you run a lot of EMS calls. There are also a lot of fires in Durham. Just for your info there are some websites you can look at and get some helpful information. I'll post them at the bottom of this message. If your looking at working somewhere in NC, you also should look at places like Fayettville, Willmington, Greensboro, Winston-Salem, and Goldsboro. I am not sure exactly on how busy or what the other ones pay, but Fayettville is another busy department and I have a lot of friends that work with them. As far as being a paramedic and having your degree, yes it can help. Being a paramedic it might or might not help you get hired but it can help in the academy if you have to go through it. Your degree will be a plus at any department you apply at. If it helps you any, I know guys that have left Cary and Raleigh to work in Charlotte because they want to be where there is high call volume. Good luck what ever you decide to do.

www.legeros.com (click on the fire department section this has information on both Raleigh and Cary)

www.durhamfire.net (Durham fire departments unofficial website)

www.charmeck.org (Get to Charlotte Fire Departments stuff by clicking on departments and then fire)

www.firestation8.com (Charlotte Fire Engine 8 website)

Those are all that I have got you can probably google the others and find some information on them.

Forum Member

Alright guys I applied to Greensboro, Goldsboro, Gastonia, Roanoke Rapids, and I will send mine in to Raleigh on the 28th. Out of these departments, where is my best shot to get on at?

Thread Information