Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default A pleasant change.

I was happy to see the GOP and the Dems work together...Along with the White House in getting an immigration bill hammered out. No matter your opinion on the issue I for one, am happy to see our elected leaders do exactly that ... LEAD.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Banned

It is a step in the right direction. I don't like the idea of providing amnesty to those who are already here, I do like the idea of strengthening our borders. I'm not crazy about the guest worker program either. But I do like the way they are going to rotate it. I just think we should put our own people to work first. Take all of those jobs and make those on welfare do the jobs or lose their benefits. All in all thaough I think it is a good compromise.

MembersZone Subscriber

If Bush signs this bill as is, I will join noz and co. and become a Bush basher.

The bill is a disaster. It rewards those who broke the law. It contains provisions which are absolutely unenforceable and will lead to an increased burden on the welfare system-by a lot.

The bill will also cost us all money. How? Because these illegals will be legal. They will no longer do the crap jobs they do now and will be entitled to benefits and wages that people who did not break the law to get here enjoy. Your local landscaper or restaurant owner will be paying them three times as much and be forced to provide medical benefits. They will STILL have trouble finding to work.

No, I am not in favor of slavery or forced labor. I am merely pointing out that this bill does nothing to benefit the legal US citizen.

Forum Member

I don't see how the bill is going to prevent illegal immigration in the future. I hope this doesn't mean that those "Z-Visas" are going to be given out like candy at a parade. We already have a visa system, and those visas issued seem to get checked every once in a never. What's the plan for keeping tabs on those who overstayed their visas (like the Fort Dix terrorists)? Where's this funding coming from? Is Congress going to approve 2 Billion dollars to hire file-keepers at INS? Remember the wall construction that got approved but ooops, no money to build it? It sounds good today, but give it a week before Congress forgets about it and starts working on something else, with all the loose ends left untied.
    "Yeah, but as I've always said, this country has A.D.D." - Denis Leary

http://www.lettertogop.com/

George... Get your bashin clothes on. Bush says he is going to sign.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Temporarily Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEYLIKESIT View Post
    I was happy to see the GOP and the Dems work together...Along with the White House in getting an immigration bill hammered out. No matter your opinion on the issue I for one, am happy to see our elected leaders do exactly that ... LEAD.
    Are you a political rookie..This "Deal" is already dead on arrival. It wont pass either house. It is NOT a bill yet..There hasnt even been a vote. It will fail, Everyone seems to know this now.

just provide amnesty to Texan's who shoot the illegals when they come over. I'm sure that will cut down on immigration by 75%

Instead of the Red River shootout it will be the Rio Grande Shootout

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by JHR1985 View Post
    just provide amnesty to Texan's who shoot the illegals when they come over. I'm sure that will cut down on immigration by 75%

Instead of the Red River shootout it will be the Rio Grande Shootout
    I like the idea!!! It would eliminate detention centers and immigration hearings. They would certainly be less likely to try again and it would be cheaper for the taxpayer to fed-ex them back.

Quote Originally Posted by profire1 View Post
    Are you a political rookie..This "Deal" is already dead on arrival. It wont pass either house. It is NOT a bill yet..There hasnt even been a vote. It will fail, Everyone seems to know this now.
    Last time I checked a "bill" is different then a "law". Hell at least they are trying something.
    Last edited by MIKEYLIKESIT; 05-20-2007 at 01:25 AM. Reason: This guy needs to pay more union dues.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

They are trying something that essentially does nothing and that (I assume) most people would not support once they know the real meat and potatoes of the bill.

Because politicians are weak and ineffective since they never want to take a real stand that will upset their "core" supporters.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

I can appreciate your view Shark. I probably should have really looked a little further into it. My point was more along the lines that it was refreshing to see some type of cooperation. It will be just as interesting to see who teams up to fight this on a bipartisan level. I still like the fact that they decided to do SOMETHING. Unpopular or not, it makes me feel that at least they are trying.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEYLIKESIT View Post
    I can appreciate your view Shark. I probably should have really looked a little further into it. My point was more along the lines that it was refreshing to see some type of cooperation. It will be just as interesting to see who teams up to fight this on a bipartisan level. I still like the fact that they decided to do SOMETHING. Unpopular or not, it makes me feel that at least they are trying.
    The problem with trying to do "something" in Washington is that most times they do nothing. What makes it all the more frustrating is that they do nothing and then run to the microphones to boast about it.

We all know that in any organization, whether its the federal government or the small local FD, that sometimes the "something" that needs to be done involves very tough decisions that may change the organization and shake people out of their comfort zone. Leaders are not afraid to make these decisions.

Our President has almost stopped being a leader. There is not one single person in Congress who I would consider a leader. When both the President and the Congress have barely a quarter of the populace thinking they are doing a good job, we have a severe problem.

2008 can't come soon enough for me.

Banned

It must be a good comprimise bill becasue both sides don't like it. The guest worker program allows 400,000 guest workers and the visas are only good for 2 years. There are also penalties for employers who hire illegals. Leet's just hope the government follows through on that and does random checks. It isn't the perfect bill, but the perfect bill is different to everyone. I can assure you that a bill that satisfies the left or the right will not be a good bill. This is a middle of the road compromise. I guess how you view this bill depends on wheter you are an optimist or a pessimist. Learn to take the good with the bad

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    sometimes the "something" that needs to be done involves very tough decisions that may change the organization and shake people out of their comfort zone.
    You mean like people who come to work to relax, clock out and don't think about it when they're gone, and use the taxpayers dollar to visit forums?

Forum Member

Our President has almost stopped being a leader.
    He definitely won't go down in history as any Churchill or Roosevelt.
    "Yeah, but as I've always said, this country has A.D.D." - Denis Leary

http://www.lettertogop.com/

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs down Yeah............

Quote Originally Posted by RESERVEFORNOW View Post
    You mean like people who come to work to relax, clock out and don't think about it when they're gone, and use the taxpayers dollar to visit forums?
    And, on top of that, are too dumb to know what certain Acronyms mean? But, never mind, they say they don't care anyway.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up Yep............

The problem with trying to do "something" in Washington is that most times they do nothing. What makes it all the more frustrating is that they do nothing and then run to the microphones to boast about it.

We all know that in any organization, whether its the federal government or the small local FD, that sometimes the "something" that needs to be done involves very tough decisions that may change the organization and shake people out of their comfort zone. Leaders are not afraid to make these decisions.

Our President has almost stopped being a leader. There is not one single person in Congress who I would consider a leader. When both the President and the Congress have barely a quarter of the populace thinking they are doing a good job, we have a severe problem.

2008 can't come soon enough for me.

I know, Scary thought, but I Agree With George
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Thread Information