Forum Member

Default New Forestry Tanker

We just took delivery of a Forestry / Tanker.

It is on a 2006 Freightliner M2 4x4 chassis with a 1700 gallon tank and a 500 GPM pump.

The body is poly with rollup doors. The truck was built by Valley Fire Apparatus in NH.

The only real training for leadership is leadership.

Forum Member

Content deleted by author.
    Last edited by Firefighter807; 07-08-2009 at 08:22 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Firefighter807 View Post
    Should have bought a Pierce!
    Dude..lay off the kool aid!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

You know it's funny, or perhaps sad, that as soon as I saw on the front page that Firefighter807 had posted to a new truck topic I thought to myself he said "Should have bought a Pierce."

See 807 you have become so predictable as to become irrelevant. You may have had good points at one time but now you are little more than comic relief with no one taking you serious anymore. In effect you have taken yourself out.

Nice Job.

FyredUp

Forum Member

blmoore20,

Looks like a nice rig.

Where is the pump and is it a portable pump or a chassis powered pump?

Fyredup

Forum Member

It is a PTO pump driven by the truck engine. It is under the truck near the transfercase.

The pump panel was kept very simple and one discharge is prepiped for foam.

Last edited by blmoore20; 05-19-2007 at 06:46 PM.

Forum Member

Should have bought a Pierce!
    Why????? so you can pay twice as much !!!!

We have a tanker built by Valley back in 1985 and it has been a great truck with little to no problems and it still is frontline on every call.

Forum Member

blmoore: Good looking functional tanker. Can you give us a few more details on the truck. pump type , engine type /size , transmission and transfer case. Approx Cost? is that the porta tank on top? Thanks!

Forum Member

Darley 500 GPM pump
    Mercedes 330 HP engine
    Allison 5 spd auto transmission
    Transfer case, who knows whatever came with the truck.
    It also has On-Spot chains on the rear wheels.

The truck has 3 electrically operated dump valves, 1 rear and 1 on each side.

There is a 1200 Gallon portatank on top of the hosebed cover, I know it's hard to get to but we almost never use it.

The hosebed covers are diamond plate and are electrically lifted. There will be one preconnected 200' 1 3/4 in the hosebed and one 100' 1 3/4 in the bumper. The rest of the hose load is still up in the air, but there will probably be 500' of 4", 400' to 500' of forestry line and 200' of 2 1/2.

There are 3 water level gauges so the level can be seen from anywhere around the truck.

All LED lighting except for the top rear strobes (no idea why).

Price was about $210,000.

Forum Member

Thanks for the info . I had guessed around 195-205,000 as we have been getting specs and rough quotes from several vendors. Whats the GVW rating on that chassis? Sounds like they built a very workable truck for you.

Forum Member

Is this tanker not designed for shuttling and dumping water? if so why the cabinets and hosebed? Also, did you keep the tank size small for a reason? Most are 2000-2200 gal.

Forum Member

islandfire03 - I don't have the specs in front of me but if I remember correctly it has 35,000 rear and 14,000 front.

Ledebuhr1 - It is designed for shuttling and dumping. It has 3 dump valves. It was kept small as it is primarily a forestry truck but can also be used as a tanker. The compartments are for forestry tools. We have a 2500 gallon pumper tanker as well as 1000 gallons on each of the front line engines. This truck will run 4th out for structure fires bringing our water-on-wheels to 6200 gallons.

Forum Member

The front of the chassis looks different then most other Freightliners--is it the "vocational addition?" Do you know what the difference between that and the standard one is? Looks like a pretty cool rig, and I imagine being able to bring that much water some what off road must be quite asset for forestry operations.

And firefighter807--I don't think Pierce would even mkae this type of rig, too out of the box.

Do you know if valley has a website?

MembersZone Subscriber

[QUOTE=skipatrol8;812352] Looks like a pretty cool rig, and I imagine being able to bring that much water some what off road must be quite asset for forestry operations.

And firefighter807--I don't think Pierce would even mkae this type of rig, too out of the box.
    QUOTE]

Thats what I was kinda thinking. Could it be a bit dangerous? I hope it works out for them.

What does Darley know about firetrucks?
    As far as firefighter807, lets put him and the cannuck together to start a new firetruck company of which specializes in over priced trucks (Pierce) and trucks that are big pieces of sh** (ALF) with a name of the company to be named later.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by skipatrol8 View Post
    The front of the chassis looks different then most other Freightliners--is it the "vocational addition?" Do you know what the difference between that and the standard one is? Looks like a pretty cool rig, and I imagine being able to bring that much water some what off road must be quite asset for forestry operations.

Do you know if valley has a website?
    I don't believe they have a website. They are located in Bradford NH. If you need contact info , I can find it for you.

We were surprised by the front end we were expecting the normal M2 nose. It may be because the radiator is larger (2007 specs) or because of the 4 wheel drive, we're not sure.

Forum Member

Content deleted by author.
    Last edited by Firefighter807; 07-08-2009 at 08:21 PM.

Forum Member

Thanks for proving my point little boy.

FyredUp

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by blmoore20 View Post
    We were surprised by the front end we were expecting the normal M2 nose. It may be because the radiator is larger (2007 specs) or because of the 4 wheel drive, we're not sure.

We are going through the same thing right now. We are specing a similar chassis for a FL 4x4 CAFS crash truck, and the options we were given were:

The existing M2 cab with a 6" filler panel below the hood to accomodate the new radiator, but that would require headlights in the bumper instead of the hood to meet MOT spec.

or,

A different hood, probably along the lines what you received.

Your's has an aggressive look to it. Not a bad thing in a bush truck.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mcaldwell View Post
    We are going through the same thing right now. We are specing a similar chassis for a FL 4x4 CAFS crash truck, and the options we were given were:

The existing M2 cab with a 6" filler panel below the hood to accomodate the new radiator, but that would require headlights in the bumper instead of the hood to meet MOT spec.

or,

A different hood, probably along the lines what you received.

Your's has an aggressive look to it. Not a bad thing in a bush truck.
    The older FL series trucks looked alright with the headlights in the bumper, but I imagine this one might look a tad strange. S&S makes an "outland unit" with the standard nose and 4x4 with the normal nose, not sure how they do it. Don't get me wrong, I like the look of this unit though.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Thread Information