Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cincyone View Post
    I served 8 years...That was 8 more than most chicken **** folks serve.
    I knew that i would get a Professional Fire job so i did not re enlist for a 3rd 4 year stint. It took me 1.8 years but i found it quite easy to get on a city dept. I tested for 3 depts...Indianapolis,Cincinnati and Charlotte "Why charlotte i dont know...PAY kinda stinks. The 1.8 years i was out of the service and not on a dept. I worked for Federal Mogul. Factory work payed well but very BORING.
    Fair enough. I just wanted too see why. I know about factory work because it's what I did before I got in the Military. Pays good but the rest of it friggin sucks.
    Last edited by ndvfdff33; 05-27-2007 at 12:32 PM.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cincyone View Post
    Alright, Peace. Im sorry for my attitude. I get that way at times.
    Don't sweat it. Whats done is done. Cheers
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member

Hey Mike,

We are approx the same size and have the vision thing in common. When I was contenplating starting this endevor I also worried about my ability to do this. But as I have said before, If I can do it anyone can.

Since I started at age 46, things may have been different for me because of my perspective on life compared to the youngsters but like you I didn't want to be a liability so your attitude here will serve you will.

My advice is give it an honest try. When at training, if the instructor asks a question or for a volunteer, step up to the plate. A mistake you make in training is a real learning experience and is a lesson learned forever.

Take as much extra fire school training as you can. Nothing you know in life will transfer to the technical aspect of firefighting so there is a lot to learn.

As far as ladders and rope rescue and heights in general, just do it, that's all. I made myself go where I didn't want to and still to this day take every opportuninty to go where I'm uncomfortable, it gets easier the more you do it.

Forum Member

Like the others have said, Mike, give it a try. You are about the same size as me and I do just fine. I wouldn't worry about the height thing either. I'm not comfortable with heights, but when I'm actually at a fire I can climb a ladder without even thinking about it. Best of luck.

Forum Member

That profire guy is truly an embarrassment to the fire service. I hope the people in his area of service know they're being put in danger by this complete idiot.

Badgerland FOOL

Hey Red, as others have said before...I think you're making a big assumption that profire/cincy1 is a firefighter...

As for the for the person making the orginal post....go for it, I've found with practice and experience you'll lose the fear of heights. Welcome to the fire service!
    Last edited by mvfd27; 06-15-2007 at 08:48 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Mike,
    Welcome to the boards and to the brotherhood. I was in a similar situation as you years ago when I joined. I tend to ride a desk at my day job, so joining the FD gave things a little space. I have to say joining the FD was the best thing I've ever done.
    Your physical size will have a large impact on what you're able to do on a scene but in your cast it should not be a huge problem. I'd rather have a guy that is 5'7", 150lbs and active then someone with 250lbs of blubber who gets winded walking up stairs.
    On the heights thing, I think you will work your way through it. When anyone joins there are things that they are not comfortable doing.. climbing ladders, being in tight spaces, being in the dark..etc. The more they train and perform those things the more comfortable they become. If you are afraid of heights then work on that as hard as you can in training and drills. Soon you'll find that they don't bother you as much as they once did.

Once again, Welcome!
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

MembersZone Subscriber

I second the comments to just give it a try. The dept will let you know when you apply if there are any physical factors that will disqualify you, and even then, at least you offered.

The vision thing should only be a problem if it is not correctable to within a reasonable standard. I assume in Banking you need to have corrected vision too, since that US money all looks alike. SCBA can very easily be equipped with a lens kit for you, and you can buy a set of elastic banded glasses cheaply for the other technical work (provided you don't mind the fashion violation ).

And the size is less than of an issue than you think, especially if you are active. I would rather have a 140lb guy with heart show up, than no one at all. We can always send two members to do the job if we have the numbers.

And finally, some towns are so hard up for volunteers, that they are willing to put restrictions on duty. A particular member may only drive and pump if they are hopelessly claustrophobic, or otherwise unable to perform FF'ing, etc. That type of protocol frees up the rest of the members for the "heavy lifting". We used that protocol in the past when membership was very low.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP37 View Post
    Hey everyone

I've recently been wondering what else I could be doing with my life in addition to working as usual every day. I'm in banking, so obviously my line of work isn't very exciting. I'd really like to help the community or make some sort of difference somehow, but I also want to be involved with something exciting at the same time. This pretty much led me directly to volunteer firefighting.

One of the guys I work with is a volunteer for a neighboring township and I happen to know the Chief in my city's department, so I've been able to get a lot of good information from both of them. I came here for sort of an outside opinion, however. I'm not a big guy, I'm only 5'7" and 140 lbs, but the guys that I've talked to said it really doesn't matter how big you are. I've been involved with sports all of my life, and in fact, I'm a goaltender for an inline hockey team for a couple months in the summers, so I'm a little used to wearing lots of gear while trying to move and contort as fast as possible.

I'm also a little concerned about my eyesight. It's pretty bad, but the guys said that vision isn't too important since you can't see most of the time anyway and that you also don't need great detail vision in the first place like a pilot or a police officer would. I know that my training will help to show me if I'm right for this too, but I'm a little worried that my physical shortcomings will hold me back somewhat. I'm also bad with ladders and heights, but I'm going to start spending more time working on that fear. I've been wanting to take care of that for years. Well, sorry for the long novel, but I thought I'd just give a little background with my questions. I'm looking forward your input.

Thanks,
    Mike
    Mike, I encourage you to follow through. I joined the V.F.D. when I was in college. I then stayed on after graduation, through my two year stint as a school teacher, and now as a cop. I used to really enjoy it. Sometimes, now, it's still fun, but often it seems boring. I often feel out of place because I don't have much in common with the other guys on the department, but I don't ever regret joining it. The chief was my next door neighbor growing up, and when he found out I'd taken an EMT class as an elective in college he encouraged me to join.

You are most assuredly not too small to be a fireman. Additionally, your eyesight isn't an issue either. I should note that some of our members have prescription lenses mounted in the masks of their air packs. Most volunteer departments aren't that active so it's not as if you'll be doing a lot all the time anyway, and I'm sure you're in much better shape than most of the members. I'm fortunate enough to be on a dept. with a police captain who is a trained and accomplished grant writer so we get lots of new equipment from the grants he writes. We have no tax base to support us although some volunteer agencies do. In fact, we're not even an incorporated city. We're a sort of suburb and independent school district outside the main city where I work as an officer.

Good luck with things!

Forum Member

Hey guys, sorry to sort of abandon my thread. I kept up with it while I was trying to make up my mind whether to join up or not. I finally decided that I would go for it about a month ago, then I got some bad vibes from my family and my g/f. After I worked all that out, I submitted my application last week and was told that it would take about two months to process the application, run a background check, contact references, etc. After that, I'd be called for an interview. If they like me well enough, I'll go on a 90 day probation period where all I'm expected to do is show up to the meetings and learn as much as I can. After the 90 days, the members will vote whether I stay or go, then I'll start my training if they let me stay. I'm really excited, needless to say. Well anyway, just thought I'd post a little bit of an update to my original post. Thanks for the encouragement and great advice everybody.

Mike

Badgerland FOOL

Talking

Congratulations in your choice to join the department...I'm sure you won't regret it. The fire service is an excellent way to serve your community and make some strong bonds with like minded men and women. Good luck in the probationary period...best advice is be a sponge and absorb as much as you can.

Welcome to the brotherhood! Take care and be safe!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP37 View Post
    Hey guys, sorry to sort of abandon my thread. I kept up with it while I was trying to make up my mind whether to join up or not. I finally decided that I would go for it about a month ago, then I got some bad vibes from my family and my g/f. After I worked all that out, I submitted my application last week and was told that it would take about two months to process the application, run a background check, contact references, etc. After that, I'd be called for an interview. If they like me well enough, I'll go on a 90 day probation period where all I'm expected to do is show up to the meetings and learn as much as I can. After the 90 days, the members will vote whether I stay or go, then I'll start my training if they let me stay. I'm really excited, needless to say. Well anyway, just thought I'd post a little bit of an update to my original post. Thanks for the encouragement and great advice everybody.

Mike
    Thats great news Mike. Glad to hear everything is workin out now for yah. Best of luck.

Ryan

Forum Member

Congratulations on your journey to join your local department. As others have said you won't regret it. My wife was leary as well when I wanted to join, but now she and my kids are 100% behind me and very proud of me for wanting to help others. The fire service is an excellent way to serve your community.

Good luck in the probationary period and mvfd27 was spot on, the best advice is become a sponge and absorb as much as you can. I learn stuff everytime.

*shamelessly copied mvfd27 because what he said was good. *

MembersZone Subscriber

Good Luck, and Keep us up to date Mike.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Forum Member

hey mike...................good luck to you....... you sound like you have thought it through very well... the department will appreciate that kind of person!..

Thread Information