Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Firefighting Families

Who here is from a family of Smokeeaters. I myself am 3rd Generation, Grandfather (Retired Chief of Department), Father (Retired Battalion Chief), and now myself. We have all been members of our local VFD as well with pretty much every old gen. firefighter in my family holding the position of Chief Officer. Anyone else here have a similar Fire Service family tree. Thanks and stay safe.
    Gary
    Firefighter/EMT-B
    -------------------
    Stay Safe
    Leather Forever......F.O.O.L.S.

Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

You might find this old thread an interesting read

http://forums.firehouse.com/showthre...llow+footsteps
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

I am a second generation firefighter.

My Dad was a member of 2 volunteer fire departments. One department for almost 13 years and another for over 20 years. At one point my Dad, brother, sister, myself and my wife were all on the same volly FD. My sister was also a career CFR firefighter for several years.

I have been a firefighter for almost 30 years. Volunteer for 29 of that. Career as a CFR firefighter for 7 years and 9 years as a city structural firefighter.

By the way my oldest son just became a Cadet with my volly FD. It appears he will be following in the family footsteps. While I am proud I made it clear to him that he needs to do what is right for him and if the fire service isn't what he wants I am okay with it.

FyredUp

Forum Member

Congrats on having your son entering the service. I remember when I joined as a explorer. My father could not have been more proud. Here we are eight years later and I am still going strong. Your doing the right thing by not pushing him into it. My brother and I are complete opposites, I love it and he shows no interest at all. I think if my father had pushed him into it it would have been a heap of problems. Stay safe.
    Gary
    Firefighter/EMT-B
    -------------------
    Stay Safe
    Leather Forever......F.O.O.L.S.

Forum Member

My Dad is Chief of Police, my mom was a 911 operator and recently retired early to do ebay full time (lol), my uncle and ex-aunt are both cops, I think a long lost uncle somewhere in FL retired from the fire service. Oh yeah my youngest sister is also pretty seriously dating a probie cop on my dad's dept. So yeah I got a family of "Blue Light Specials". (explanation, in Ohio fire use just red and white, and cops use red and blue)

I'm second generation. My Dad was on the Bethesda Chevy Chase Rescue Squad, MD and Ellicott Creek Volunteer Fire Company, NY. He is presently a member of the Northwest Ohio Region One Urban Search and Rescue Team and an Advisor for our explorer post.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Thread Information