Forum Member

Default Mobile Digital Video Recorders

I did a search and did not find any threads on this topic. My department is looking at getting a MDVR similar to what police departments use. Our new piece is currently being built and the salesman has not installed too many mdvrs, if any. I'm trying to do some research to see if any department have them. If so what company do you use and any luck or problems. We are not trying to reinvent the wheel here just trying to have a better recording then the handy dandy camcorder on the officer's lap.

IACOJ BOD

Why ????????
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

MembersZone Subscriber

I am at a loss for what purpose this would serve. A patrol unit has a dash cam because MV stops occur in front of the dash. You would have to get a little more versatile set up if you are looking to record fire ground activity. It would basically have to come off and be used as a handheld.

I have never seen this setup work except to say "We have this and you don't".

Forum Member

I don't know what brand ours are, but they are PD rejects. They got the fancy DVD type, and then gave us the VCR hand-me-downs. They have been useful for post-incident critiques, and for driver training.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Geinandputitout View Post
    I don't know what brand ours are, but they are PD rejects. They got the fancy DVD type, and then gave us the VCR hand-me-downs. They have been useful for post-incident critiques, and for driver training.
    like geinandputitout stated. We are looking for the same reasons. I agree with you, that most fire action is to the sides of the truck and hardly to the front. That is one the reasons we are looking at a new system with a moveable camera mounted on the top of the cab. I found one company( http://www.safetyvision.com/en/cms/?535 ) that has the backup cameras and was listed in fire chief magazine for their mdvr.

MembersZone Subscriber

Drivers training huh? Does it record all the swearing that goes along with it?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dday05 View Post
    Drivers training huh? Does it record all the swearing that goes along with it?
    Fortunately or unfortuantely it does record all of the swearing. I have heard things that would make a drunken sailor on shore leave blush, and they are recorded for everyone to hear.

Also, all the ones that I have seen are pretty easy to grab and swivel so they are pointed in the right direction. The ones that end up with the "best" fire footage are generally found in the car because it is usually pointed in the right direction.

Forum Member

The ones that end up with the "best" fire footage are generally found in the car because it is usually pointed in the right direction.
    Yea... right in front blocking all the real fire trucks
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

MembersZone Subscriber

I have no personal experience with them, but I am seeing them more and more in ambulances, recording foward and also the patient area. I dont believe that most departments could justify putting that in the truck specs but if I was given the money to do so, I think it would be a very good critique tool. I would make sure that whatever you get could be placed in different positions to record different angles, or even dismount and be carried around.

MembersZone Subscriber

I think their easily justifiable and serve a great purpose. These days most of us are fighting fewer fires. The stories at the kitchen table are old and fewer new firefighters get the experience some of our veterans got 20 years ago. Why not use the new videe technology to present better situational training? Our guys can't make every job but they could learn from every one. Post fire critiques can be much better detailed. "Why was a second alarm struck on arrival? Well lets go to the tape: here's what we had." This may not serve as an advantage in a very busy dept. but for those of us who don't catch a worker that often this can be a valuable training tool. Our new rescue pumper will likely have 2-3 cameras and the DVR set up to record as much as we can.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by resQengine View Post
    I have no personal experience with them, but I am seeing them more and more in ambulances, recording foward and also the patient area. I dont believe that most departments could justify putting that in the truck specs but if I was given the money to do so, I think it would be a very good critique tool. I would make sure that whatever you get could be placed in different positions to record different angles, or even dismount and be carried around.
    How in the world can a FD video tape patient care without the consent of the patient?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    How in the world can a FD video tape patient care without the consent of the patient?
    My thoughts also. I am sure HIPPA violations would fall in there some where.

I believe a Texas medic got in trouble for taping patients and then placed them on YouTube. This would be a lawyers dream if discovered.

T.J.

MembersZone Subscriber

couldn't it help in investigations also? just wondering, since investigators always want the first few guy's statements of what was going on when you first get on scene.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by fire0099881 View Post
    couldn't it help in investigations also? just wondering, since investigators always want the first few guy's statements of what was going on when you first get on scene.
    Of course it would be a great investigative tool. It is one that I have used on many occassions. A police officer tuned into fire investigation can place his vehicle in a position to get a good view of the premises upon arrival. I had one trooper park in the PL across the street from a major fire and tape the whole thing. Later, he tuened the camera around and interviewed witnesses in the troop car. It was great and was used at trial.

That said, it is unlikely that a camera in a fire apparatus would be used for this purpose unless it was being handled by someone familiar with the right way to video tape. Hearing war stories on the way back to the station is not what I would consider evidence.

It is unlikely that the IC could devote a member to this task in the early stages of a job.

MembersZone Subscriber

A department close to me is installing a DVR unit in their ambulance. It will record the response to the scene, and have either an audio recording in the box for Patient treatment, or will record the back of the ambulance. It would be at an angle where you would not see a patient's face.

Recording the transport, would just be a tool to have in place, in case there is a question about treatment or even as a training aid. The department in question has had some very good results with their grants and tax money.
    I.A.C.O.J. "The Cork"

MembersZone Subscriber

Just because you can't see the patient's face does not mean that you are concealing the patient's identity. If a FD recorde me or a family member without my consent, I would file a lawsuit so fast their heads would spin.

MembersZone Subscriber

"How in the world can a FD video tape patient care without the consent of the patient?"

Actually, I really didnt think about that. From what I understand, they record foward in case of any accidents. I am not sure if the video from the back is recorded as well. I know that it at least provides an image of the patient compartment to the driver. I didnt think about HIPPA and i too think it would be a violation. As far as positioning the patient so you didnt see the patients face, it seems to me that you would still catch their face as you were loading them into the ambulance.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by resQengine View Post
    "How in the world can a FD video tape patient care without the consent of the patient?"
    In a way if you put some fine print in your run report that they sign (because how many people read it) you could probablly get away with it. I'm not saying I support the idea but I'm sure you could pull it off.

And why would you want to have a camera in the bus with you anyways? We have enough things to worry about without a camera for people to file a lawsuit on.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by dday05 View Post
    In a way if you put some fine print in your run report that they sign (because how many people read it) you could probablly get away with it. I'm not saying I support the idea but I'm sure you could pull it off.

And why would you want to have a camera in the bus with you anyways? We have enough things to worry about without a camera for people to file a lawsuit on.
    And why would you have a run sheet riddled with deception? We have enough things to worry about without a bogus run aheet for people to file a lawsuit on.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    And why would you have a run sheet riddled with deception? We have enough things to worry about without a bogus run aheet for people to file a lawsuit on.
    I'm just saying,I wouldn't be surprised if we read something about that or like that someday. Did I not say we have enough things to worry about then a damn camera in the back of the squad?

Thread Information