Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Unhappy Flames damage London's famous Cutty Sark ship

This sucks And if it was arson ..... asswipes!!!

Flames damage London's famous Cutty Sark ship
    21/05/2007 8:14:25 AM
    Printer-friendly page

Flames consumed parts of London's famous clipper ship Cutty Sark early Monday, amidst an expensive four-year project aimed at restoring the maritime relic.

A general view of the 19th-century clipper The Cutty Sark on fire at the ship's dry dock, in Greenwich, East London, Monday May 21, 2007. (AP Photo / PA)

Investigators are now trying to determine the cause of the blaze, while officials said they are still determined to bring the 19th-century ship back to its former glory.

"We're going to redouble our efforts to ensure that the ship is open, available, back and running in the future," Chris Livett, whose Cutty Sark Enterprises is in charge of the vessel's restoration, told reporters.

"I think when we finish with this project, she will be better than she was ... in a complete state a year ago."

Firefighters arrived at the scene Monday morning and managed to extinguish the massive flames about two hours later.

"At the moment we are treating the fire as suspicious, as we would do any fire of this scale and importance," police Inspector Bruce Middlemiss told The Associated Press.

Surveillance cameras photographed several people in the area at the time of the fire. But Middlemiss said there is no indication any had actually started the blaze.

"There is no evidence or intelligence to lead us to think this was an arson," he said.

Cutty Sark was closed to the public last year for a US$50-million renovation.

The ship, built for the tea trade in the 1800s, is the last extreme clipper left in the world. Historians consider it to be the ultimate development of a merchant sailing vessel.

Most of the original hull had survived since it made its first voyage. And those working on the restoration project were optimistic about the ship's condition after the fire.

"I'm relieved. I came here thinking the ship had gone on her last journey," Richard Doughty, chief executive of the Cutty Sark Trust, told AP.

But he added the fire "will have resulted in millions and millions of pounds of damage. This is a ship that belongs to the world, and we're going to need financial help."

The manager of the project, Ian Bell, inspected the ship on Monday and emerged with soot on his face. But he was also optimistic, noting the resilience of Cutty Sark's iron frame.

"Initial indications suggest we don't have any massive distortions of the ship," he said.

Cutty Sark's first journey from London was made on Feb. 16, 1870. It travelled around Cape Hope to Shanghai three-and-a-half months later.

It made eight voyages to China in the tea trade, until sailing vessels were replaced by steam ships on the oceans.

Cutty Sark then had a second life as officials used it for training navel cadets during the Second World War. In 1951, it was anchored in London for the Festival of Britain and was then acquired by the Cutty Sark Society.

The ship measures 85 metres in length, and before Monday's fire weighed 979 U.S. tons. Its mast rose 46 metres above the main deck.

With files from The Associated Press
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Here's the original article I read first thing this morning. Got sidetracked by ChiFi's shenanigans and forgot to post the thread

Here's a link to some video footage.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18778157/

Fire guts famed 19th century British ship

London's proud maritime relic, the Cutty Sark, now a blackened hulk

Image: Cutty Sark on fire.
    Pa Wire / AP

The 19th-century clipper Cutty Sark is seen on fire at the ship's dry dock, in Greenwich, East London, on Monday.

Web extra video
    Cutty Sark gutted
    May 21: A fire causes heavy damage to Britain's famed clipper ship.

Updated: 4:03 a.m. PT May 21, 2007

LONDON - A fire caused heavy damage to the clipper ship Cutty Sark on Monday, leaving one of London’s proudest maritime relics a blackened hulk.

Firefighters responded to an alarm at 4:45 a.m. local time at the 19th-century ship’s dry dock, where it has been undergoing a $49 million renovation since last year. The fire was out about two hours later and the cause was under investigation.

“We are treating this as a suspicious incident,” said police Inspector Bruce Middlemiss, who added that a number of people were known to be in the area at the time the fire started.
    Story continues below ↓advertisement

Chris Levett, the chairman of Cutty Sark Enterprises, said half of the ship’s planking and many historic artifacts had been taken away during the restoration work. He expressed confidence that the vessel could be restored.

“It will be the old ship. The ship has been through many things in its lifetime,” Levett told BBC radio.

“This is going to make us even more determined to get this ship back up and running and keep her as original as possible,” Levett said.

MORE FROM MSNBC.COM

* World Blog: Just who is winning in Afghanistan?
    * WP: Digital divide separates GOP, Dems
    * Polar bears at risk as warming thaws ice
    * Gorilla ‘remains my darling,’ says woman in zoo attack
    * That's downright weird! Vote for the strangest story?

The ship was the world’s only surviving example of an extreme clipper, regarded as the ultimate development of a merchant sail vessel. Most of the original hull had survived since the ship was built for the tea trade of the 1800s.

Cutty Sark left London on its first voyage on Feb. 16, 1870, proceeding around Cape Hope to Shanghai 3˝ months later. The ship made only eight voyages to China in the tea trade, as steam ships replaced sail on the high seas.

Measuring 280 feet in length, the ship weighed 979 tons and its main mast soared 152 feet above the main deck.

The ship was used for training naval cadets during World War II, and in 1951 it was moored in London for the Festival of Britain. Shortly afterward, the ship was acquired by the Cutty Sark Society.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Its not that bad.

What you see of the ship, was all that was really left of it BEFORE the fire. It was basically the steel hull and the three decks below a temporary building that was put up around it.

Most of the timbers from the ship, the masts, sails, hundreds of precious artefacts and furniture are in safe storage at Chatham Dockyard... the majority of the Fire was the temporary building surrounding it.

I spoke to a colleague today who was ordered onto the job, he said the first arriving crews made the job up to 8 Pumps (3rd Alarm) pretty quickly and held the job on that, a very quick blitz attack using large flow streams and Aerial Monitors under control in under 2 hours. By that time one of the restoration directors having viewed the 'remains' from the cage of one of the Aerials was happy (considering how it might have turned out) that the only real concern was whether the steel hull had buckled and the replacement of the three decks. As most of the timbers were off of the side of the hull, it was very easy for crews to get water onto the fire.

As far as the size of the incident goes, a 8 Pump Fire is a fairly frequent occurence...we have about 4-6 per month...as far as media interest goes, this is the most 'significant' fire we've had since the Buckingham Palace Fire in 2002.

Typically, I was on duty but too far away to get called to it at 8 Pumps...it would have probably had to have gone to 20 Pumps for me to have gone on. But, like a couple of weeks ago, when I headed home and missed the department store fire in Oxford Street. Earlier on Sunday I was at Poplar, my old Station just across the River from Greenwich... If I'd have remained 'on call' on Poplar's ground I would have been one of the first Chiefs there.
    Steve Dude
    IACOJ member
    www.fireservice.co.uk

London Fire Brigade...."Can Do"

'Irony'... It's a British thing.

Forum Member

Thanks for the update, Steve.

I agree, it could have been much worse!

Sheri
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks Steve. I am glad that a piece of history was saved. Good job.

T.J.

MembersZone Subscriber

Well hopefully some of the 49 million is still left if it was in the process of being fixed up or what not. Either way this is unfortunate.

MembersZone Subscriber

Good to hear from ya again.

You guys sure don't get any respect over there do ya?

Freakin' media.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Thread Information