Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Water level indicator

Need to build/install a water tank level indicator on our brush truck. Full, 3/4, 1/2, 1/4, empty at a min. Something beyond the standard commerical pump panel unit with 4 tiny bulbs/leds.

Looking for ideas/photos.

Large highly visible lamps/bulbs a +. Low cost/DIY a +.

Need sensor/sensors and indicators for a 600gal baffled aluminum tank.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

MembersZone Subscriber

I'll see if I can dig out, or just go take a picture of the tank level gauges we have on the side of our pumper/tanker. They're about 8-10" tall and LED. I believe they just wired them into the tank gauge. They're easy to see from a distance. I'll also see if I can't find out who makes them, if that's what kind of thing you're looking for.

MembersZone Subscriber

Right. And what did you use for sensor/sensors?

Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar

You might check some of the products offered by FRC, which use the pressure of the tank to read within 5 gallons of capacity. Lots of options from them.

MembersZone Subscriber sdff1520's Avatar

NEIOWA

Try FRC Tankvision. its an 8 segment LED tank guage, but you can also use it to drive remote lights. You could put 60 watt halogens on it if you want to. http://www.fireresearch.com/product.php?id=wla200 Install is easy do it yourself, but the guage package with sensor and display is ~$450.00

Rick
    Last edited by sdff1520; 05-21-2007 at 03:00 PM.

These are the best I have ever seen...They are located on the sides of the unit, just behind the rear of the cab.

4 LED lights that indicate the water level. Green, blue, amber and red.

They can be seen from a long way at almost any angle.
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

A cheap method, but with no lights would be to come off of the bottom of the tank, as low as possible with a 3/4" to 1" line, and come out and elbow it up 90 degrees and run straight up the side of the tank with clear tubing above the elbow, then at the very top, elbow and dump back into tank.

Just look at the water level inside the tube. The water level inside the tube will vary just a little bit from that inside the tank, comparable to the handle on a gallon milk jug. Cheap, but it works!
    Service is the rent you pay for having space on earth.

Forum Member

The tank level light a lot of manufacturers are using is the Whelen PSTANK led lighthead. It's 1 3/8" wide and 11 1/2" tall. It's run off of a pressure transducer that measures head pressure. Very easy to install and calibrate.
    http://www.whelen.com/details_prod.p...4&prod_id=137#

Forum Member

neiowa,

Nice rig.

We had a tank with the clear line on the outside for a guage. It was hard to tell where the water was from more than a few feet from the truck when the line was new. After a few tank fulls of pond water it got better until the line started to get deposits and stains in it. Then it was impossible to see how much water was left. After changing the line a few times it was no longer put back on. We have a poly and 2 fiberglass tanks with sight windows and they are hard to see in direct sun light.

Best of luck with your new engine.

Brad

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by VanIsleEVT View Post
    The tank level light a lot of manufacturers are using is the Whelen PSTANK led lighthead. It's 1 3/8" wide and 11 1/2" tall. It's run off of a pressure transducer that measures head pressure. Very easy to install and calibrate.
    http://www.whelen.com/details_prod.p...4&prod_id=137#
    Interesting. Each color less than 3". What is visibility during daylight? Nozzle may be 50 - 100' ft away and needs to be able to see the lights.

MembersZone Subscriber

You can see them, we have them on the back of our tanker and they are on all the time, actually some what annoying if you follow it you can see them from aleast a mile away, the blue is the brightest. I supprised the police have not complained.

MembersZone Subscriber

I apologize for slacking, neiowa. The LED bars that vanisle posted are what's on our tanker. We have four different colors on it for the different levels (green, blue, yellow, red I believe).

They can be seen for quite a ways, especially when it's dark. I've been as far as 150-200' (daylight) and could tell what the gauge was reading.

My only regret is that we didn't put another stick on the rear, they're only on the sides.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Water Tank Level Gauge

On the Edmonton trucks we used a Tomar LED that is considerably larger (Whelen/Code 3/Federal all make the same and would suggest depending on distance away a larger light as the Whelen light strip is quite small and would be hard to see at a distance in the daytime.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by SAFETEK View Post
    On the Edmonton trucks we used a Tomar LED that is considerably larger (Whelen/Code 3/Federal all make the same and would suggest depending on distance away a larger light as the Whelen light strip is quite small and would be hard to see at a distance in the daytime.
    Not home built I'm sure. I'm looking for sensor ideas to drive what ever lamps we go with.

I to like the larger size individual lamps. This a wildland/brush truck project so want the hose man to be able to see at a distance thru smoke.

MembersZone Subscriber

Check page 197. I have no idea how they work or how the install, etc. However, I've dealt with these guys quite a bit and they're always helpful.

We use the Whelen PSTANk Light. It is here on the side of our rig. I guarantee you can see it if sight is not hindered... 4 Leds across and 4 colors Green,blue,yellow and red. It flashes when low.

Forrest Gregg
    Chief
    Holtville/Slapout
    Fire & Rescue Inc.
    District 10 Director
    AAVFD
    IAFC
    www.holtvilleslapoutfd.org

Permanently Removed

Quote Originally Posted by neiowa View Post
    Not home built I'm sure. I'm looking for sensor ideas to drive what ever lamps we go with.
    Hey Iowa, check this link out. http://www.liquidlevel.com/applications_highalarms.htm

All sorts of styles of levels, some illustrations for ideas – not necessarily what you’re looking for maybe but who knows.

You have to decide if you want to go with a single point level device/switch and use multiples (4?) each hooked to its own warning device (for instance a strobe)
    OR
    go with a multi-level float/switch/device.

By the way, something to consider if you are worried about seeing the “lights” in smoke or far away. What about using warning horns? Like a different tone for each level or a single tone warning horn that sounds a certain number of times for each level the tank goes down to.

Only one thing to be aware of that I am sure you already know, sometimes building something ourselves ends up costing more. But special purpose dictates sometimes. TL

I don't know if you found your solution as I came across this old thread by ways of a Google search. But you can use a TankVision Remote Driver for “Large Lite” Display Part # AS312 from EDarly to run any halogen or led light head.

Tim,'bout time you popped back around.Curfew lifted? T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    Tim,'bout time you popped back around.Curfew lifted? T.C.
    Better check the date TC, this one was a blast from the past!

Thread Information