Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Some Guy

Default Anyone have a imac?

Thinking about getting a new computer. I have a 6-7 year old Dell. This thing does not owe me a dollar. I helped it along for a while but it is getting tired. I am impressed with the new Intel imacs. I like the 24" one. Any thoughts?
    This space for rent

My first computer was an Apple LC2.
    this is my 2nd PC... and it has been giving me problems.
    my next computer will be an I Mac!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

I have crashed Mac's much more often than PC's. Personally, not a fan of everything in one computers. Any one part going makes the whole system useless. I like being able to replace/repair what needs to be replaced and not ship the whole unit back.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    I have crashed Mac's much more often than PC's. Personally, not a fan of everything in one computers. Any one part going makes the whole system useless. I like being able to replace/repair what needs to be replaced and not ship the whole unit back.
    What he said. I had a Compaq Presario for a while. Same problem, once one part of the board goes, the whole thing has to be replaced.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Question I Dunno...............

I saw that this thread is about Imacs. Isn't he the guy on the radio that got fired for Dissing a girls basketball Team??
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Thumbs up A vote for modern Macs and OS X

There are going to be new iMacs coming out very shortly.. worth the wait if that's what you want. LED backlights are around the corner for LCD monitors... I think I'd hold out for that option too.

I've never been partial to the all-in-one computers either. Actually, I was never partial to Apple. As a former Mac-hater, let me share my recent "switch" story and how that has changed.

If you're TIRED of tinkering and dealing with problems routinely, get a Mac. I switched this past August after the Macbook Pro came out with Intel chips. I made three 200 mile round trips to the closest Apple retail store. If you've never been to one, stop by and browse sometime. On my third trip I knew that the MacBook Pro was the one, and I bought it there.

One reason why I was finally willing to try OS X was that new Macs could run XP and Vista natively, just like any other PC. I figured I'd spend a good amount of time running XP.

Well, I was wrong. Aside from booting into XP/Vista to run a windows-only accident report program, I have never had the need or felt the desire to use XP/Vista anymore. And with Parallels (or comparable) virtualization, you can access your XP/Vista drive virtually from within OS X and run XP/Vista in a window (or full screen)... if you absolutely had to for some reason. Since January, I haven't run XP/Vista for anything other than to impress fellow PC geeks.

I'll never go back. There's absolutely no reason for me to. I've gone for months without needing to restart my computer. The "sleep" function actually works -- instantly. The hardware and software integration is tight. The experience is what personal computing should be like. Any hardware I plug in just works. Networking is a breeze -- I can connect to anything with ease.

Apple uses the same hardware as other PC's. Apple's ARE PC's. You will find the same Intel processors in modern Macs. OS X is a robust, RELIABLE environment. It just works. Newbies, novices, amateurs.... I'd recommend Macs and OS X to them all.

If you LOVE to tinker with system registry problems, reinstalling your operating system, spyware, viruses, loading device drivers... by all means, stay with Microsoft. If you have the need to constantly tinker with a more stable OS, go with linux, ubuntu, etc. I've tried those too. I used to love wasting time tinkering. BTDT. Most people don't like tinkering, and I don't like to anymore.

My MacBook Pro is wonderful, and I have no regrets about the purchase. Apple beat my expectations by a wide margin. Just my personal, first-hand experience with MODERN Macs and CURRENT versions of OS X. Your mileage may vary.

God, I sound like one of those Mac fans I used to hate!
    http://www.apple.com/getamac/

PS - I'm not sure what Macs you crashed often, Bones, but I've had *far* more stability issues with PC's. Maybe older Macs and older OS's...? The new OS and product line are completely different animals.
    Last edited by Resq14; 05-23-2007 at 04:54 PM.
    God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
    Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
    Click this to search FH Forums!

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

I've got a PC with LEDs in the casing, and a clear plexi window on one side... who needs to wait for IMac?

(and NO I did not design it - it came that way.)
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

I am running a Mac Probook right now. Idiot proof, easy to use, not much to install, just open, powerup, and you are set. Got any questions, feel free to PM or email me
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Thumbs up Awrite!!...............

Quote Originally Posted by BLSboy View Post
    I am running a Mac Probook right now. Idiot proof, easy to use.

Sounds like it was invented just for Forums Posters..........
    In memory of

IACOJ Budget Analyst

www.gdvfd18.com

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    Sounds like it was invented just for Forums Posters..........
    Chief, why do you think I got one?
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Quote Originally Posted by BLSboy View Post
    Chief, why do you think I got one?
    I think HWoods might be thinking of getting one. that abacus he has been using (along with the slide rule he keeps in his desk) is getting pretty worn, and I hear the new software upgrade doesn't appear to be compatible to his current firmware
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Quote Originally Posted by DrParasite View Post
    I think HWoods might be thinking of getting one. that abacus he has been using (along with the slide rule he keeps in his desk) is getting pretty worn, and I hear the new software upgrade doesn't appear to be compatible to his current firmware
    ouch

lol

MembersZone Subscriber mcaldwell's Avatar

How in the hell do I get these extra beads on this thing...
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Talking Follow The Damn Directions..............

Quote Originally Posted by mcaldwell View Post

How in the hell do I get these extra beads on this thing...

Read the Directions............ use a 3/32nds bit, drill a hole in each vertical frame of your Abacus, 1 inch down from the top. Tie a 8 turn Stop Knot in one end of the wire (Wire and Beads are in the upgrade kit), thread the wire thru the hole, load the beads on the wire, thread thru the other frame, and tie another stop knot......... Easy. (Maybe because I've done so many...... )
    In memory of

IACOJ Budget Analyst

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber voyager9's Avatar

But does it run Windows?
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

MembersZone Subscriber voyager9's Avatar

The problem I've always had with Mac's is their cost. They're always significantly more expensive then their PC brethren. I'd gladly buy a Mac but not when its $1000 more then a equivalent PC.

I recently heard that Dell was starting to ship units with Ubuntu. That's not a bad option IMHO. Most of the problems with PC's are with the operating system, not the hardware. Ditch Windows and they do fine. Ubuntu has come a long way to becoming an idiot-proof linux distribution. When I looked at it (2 years ago) the only thing I had problems with was the printer, which was easily solved looking at online forums

And I love the Mac vs PC commercials...
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

Quote Originally Posted by voyager9 View Post
    The problem I've always had with Mac's is their cost. They're always significantly more expensive then their PC brethren. I'd gladly buy a Mac but not when its $1000 more then a equivalent PC.

I recently heard that Dell was starting to ship units with Ubuntu. That's not a bad option IMHO. Most of the problems with PC's are with the operating system, not the hardware. Ditch Windows and they do fine. Ubuntu has come a long way to becoming an idiot-proof linux distribution. When I looked at it (2 years ago) the only thing I had problems with was the printer, which was easily solved looking at online forums

And I love the Mac vs PC commercials...
    When the Mac crashes much less, has more memory, and looks cooler, its worth is. Trust me.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF

Quote Originally Posted by voyager9 View Post
    Many breakdowns have shown that's no longer the case. If you compare "oranges to oranges" of what you're getting in similarly equipped Mac's and for example, Dells, Mac's are quite competitive. A good example is the "entry-level" Macbook. You get quite a bit fot $1099... and Dell can't touch that price on a software and hardware level, even with a watered-down level of Vista (fyi there is only one version of OS X sold).

Piece for piece, feature for feature, Macs are no more expensive than comparable PCs and often less.
    Last edited by Resq14; 05-24-2007 at 03:56 PM.

Some Guy

This was the discussion I was looking for. I really like the imac but I also like this Velocity Micro computer I saw at Best Buy. I am just scared to death of Vista.

On top of all of this I am thrilled to be watching Verizon start to install Fios in my neighborhood.
    This space for rent

Quote Originally Posted by KyleWickman View Post
    This was the discussion I was looking for. I really like the imac but I also like this Velocity Micro computer I saw at Best Buy. I am just scared to death of Vista.

On top of all of this I am thrilled to be watching Verizon start to install Fios in my neighborhood.
    Scared of Vista? I was scared of OS X!

You worry if you're going to cut yourself off from the rest of the world if you go the Mac route. Compatibility, price -- it is tempting to see cheaper deals at places like Best Buy -- new interface, smaller user base, BAD experiences with old Mac's in the school computer labs... those almost swayed me away.

I'd be surprised if you regretted a decision to switch. Don't get me wrong -- I'm not saying OS X is perfect. There are plenty of little changes I'd like to see. The thing is, OS X is "more perfect" than other avalailable systems, including all the flavors of Vista. Apple releases updates and features routinely. The new version, Leopard, will be interesting to see in the upcoming weeks.
    Last edited by Resq14; 05-24-2007 at 04:04 PM.

Thread Information