Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Arrow How many have reached into their own pockets?

Here's a thread I don't recall seeing.

I've bought a garden hose and a nozzel for mopup operations. I've bought a set of emergency beacon lights to place on the ground for additional scene safety and helicopter L-Z operations.

How many of you have had to reach into your own pockets to purchase "Stuff" for your department? What kind of stuff did you buy for your department?

Other then that I've only made departmental errands in my POV for my department. I've tried to let the department buy the stuff, but sometimes I've felt compelled to just "Get -R- Done".

MembersZone Subscriber KevinFFVFD's Avatar

personally, i would not but anything for the "department" to use because i don't want to spend my money on something that i couldn't really "trust" others with and who might break it because "they didn't buy it". but i have bought a lot of stuff for myself. if i think the department needs something we don't have i just bring it up in the department business meeting.

MembersZone Subscriber KevinFFVFD's Avatar

btw, does the department pay you back for using your personal money to buy them things?

I'm with Kevin on this one. I'm not going to buy anything for my own dept unless I know it's going to be secured away some place. Things have a tendancy to disappear at times.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

MembersZone Subscriber SWLAFireDawg's Avatar

I only buy tools or gear for my own personal use that may be above and beyond what my Dept issues. My tax dollars pay for the rest.

MembersZone Subscriber

I have...a lot. As have all of the members of my VFD from time to time.

When we first organized the department, there was no "department money".

Nowadays it's better, but we're by no means rolling in the dough.

We aren't tax supported, and get less than $12,000 a year in subscriptions. Everything else is donations, grants or fire run fees (and most people are members, so there aren't many of those).
    Bryan Beall
    Silver City, Oklahoma USA

MembersZone Subscriber

I have...a lot. As have all of the members of my VFD from time to time.

When we first organized the department, there was no "department money".

Nowadays it's better, but we're by no means rolling in the dough.

We aren't tax supported, and get less than $12,000 a year in subscriptions. Everything else is donations, grants or fire run fees (and most people are members, so there aren't many of those).
    Bryan Beall
    Silver City, Oklahoma USA

Forum Member

We just put a new / used wildland truck online about 100 hours of time.
    Nuts bols screws, wiring connectors and about $50 metal for a hose rack.

With an annual budget of $4200 I do spend my money for stuff.

My wildland setup, I will keep it when i leave

Who hasn't?

We need somthing we get to gether and try and get it.

Now, of course I'm not talking about Hundreds of$$ but if we are woring on a truck or anything and we need some parts someone will get them and not bring in a receipt to get there money back.

It just what we do.

Now if you have to worry about things disappearing their are alot of other issues going on.

MembersZone Subscriber mcaldwell's Avatar

Of course.

I'm sure I could pull a lot of stuff out of the rigs that I had bought personally or brought in from home over the years. Sometimes it's just a tool that gets pulled out of my truck instead of off the rig, and never makes it back.

A pair of pliers or a multi-driver here and there, maybe an extension cord, etc.

I don't sweat the petty stuff, nor do I pet the sweatty stuff.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Fire equipment wise, no, that stuff we get out of our budget. We may buy something and then get reimbursed for it.

Fire house wise, yes, often. Many little things are needed around the firehouse and it's easier to just purchase it. Do I get reimbursed? Depends on what the cost was. Many smaller items I just don't bother with the paperwork to get reimbursed, it's not worth the $5 or $10. It's OUR firehouse, it's up to us to care for it.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Smile more stuff

Aside from the equipment I've mentioned (To name a few), I've also bought numerous drinks for the personnel.

Forum Member

Default Priceless

Well lets see. Last year the department wanted to buy new patches for our uniforms, but the body wanted but did not want to allocate the funds. This year they wanted a new company flag.
    Patches $250.00
    Flag $555.00
    Smiles on the members face, priceless

Past chief.

Forum Member

I have many times. It depends on what the cost is and what it does for me. If buying a bolt to fix something or it makes it easier for me, I buy it. I usually keep stuff I buy under $50.00 and it makes it easier AND it doesn't impact the family.

I am Chief, so I have access to the budget and Association funds with little problem. I also try to make it so that the guys that spend their own money get paid ASAP to not impact them.

MembersZone Subscriber dmleblanc's Avatar
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Not very often, and certainly not for any substantial amount (like Bones, maybe 5 or 10 bucks here and there). I'd say my biggest expense is easily the gas I burn in my POV doing fire department stuff. At 60-mile round trip to pick up a pager or radio from the shop or to a neighboring department for a meeting...Yeah, that happens quite a lot.

I have "donated" some stuff from my house for the department....a string trimmer I wasn't using any more, stuff that I didn't need any more but the department might have use of.

We're not rich by any means, but we're well funded enough that we're able to buy the supplies we need....If only we can get a chief's vehicle one day and cut down my fuel expenses
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

MembersZone Subscriber

Over the years countless times I've reached into my pocket. I've ponied up for fundraisers. I bought the wires and conduit to rewire the station. I bought 1200' of 5" hose. Four of us financed the initial EMS service. What do I get in return.... The satisfaction of a safer community! When anyone asks me why would I spend money I reply that there are several reasons. 1) My family and friends all live in the community, they're worth it. 2) I learned to be a good steward of the community from my parents, now I'm teaching my children. 3) I'm by no means wealthy, but I'd just blow it on beer. LOL

Forum Member

The willingness of a volunteer to reach into his or her own pocket when something is needed and no funds are availible is often a true measure of how dedicated a person is to their fire company, their department, and their community.
    I agree with Arrowcap 180: we live in this community and our friends, family and neighbors depend on what we do. We even have paid personnel in our department who have dug down and gave when needed because they are a part of this community as well.

I bought my own helmet. I didn't like the bullard firedomes the department issued so I went into my own pocket and bought a cairns 1010.
    "You choose to go voluntarily into the fire. The blaze might well destroy you. But if you survive, every blow of the hammer will serve to shape your being. Every drop of water wrung from you will temper and strengthen your soul." Margaret Weis

Paul Richardson
    Firefighter/EMT-B
    OVFD unit# 343/SLVFD unit# 610

MembersZone Subscriber

I have bought a few things out of pocket when the cost was something I felt willing to bear, and when I felt that trying to push it through the administrative process was not worth the effort. I can spend weeks or months arguing about some little thing that may eventually not be approved for whatever reason, or I can pick it up at the hardware store and put it on the truck on the same day. As long as the price is right and the need is significant, I know what my time is worth.....
    You only have to be stupid once to be dead permanently
    IACOJ Power Company Liason
    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution
    and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy. - Dave Barry.

Forum Member

I bought a portable radio (for me) and a mobile radio (for me). They're both programmed with a plethora of agencies' frequencies. Other than that, in five years, I don't think I've bought anything related for V.F.D. use. In fact, I just got the mobile a couple of weeks ago and the portable only early last year.

Some guys buy t-shirts (I prefer polos), yet I've never bought any. A lot of guys buy lights and sirens for their personal vehicles (which I find odd), but I haven't.

Some guys buy EMS bags to carry around in their personal vehicles although there aren't many that do. The department bought me one. In fact, I was the first as I'm a paramedic, but I don't work as one anymore. After that along with public school teaching I became a cop.

I did pay the travel and hotel related expenses, out of pocket, once to attend a hazardous materials course one weekend. I didn't mind. I'd never been to that area of the state so it was worth it just to go, but I was disappointed by the class. It was very boring.

Thread Information