Forum Member

Default Say Goodbye Mack MR, Hello Terrapro!

Apparently, and I'm just learning of this, Mack has replaced the MR series with the new "Terrapro" series. There are two models, one thankfully resembles the MR, and one is a low entry version designed specifically for refuse collection.

(Photos From Bulldog Magazine, MackTrucks.com)

Mack Unveils TerraPro™ Refuse Models
    Low Entry & Cabover Models for Demanding Refuse Applications

LEHIGH VALLEY, PA (May 2, 2007) - The life of a refuse truck is non-stop abuse, with harsh work cycles, constant demands for increased efficiency and no compromises on reliability and durability. The new TerraPro™ Series from Mack Trucks, Inc. delivers everything needed to handle that, plus a new driver environment to improve comfort and boost productivity.

The TerraPro Series includes the TerraPro Low Entry and the TerraPro Cabover. The construction industry version of the TerraPro Cabover was introduced at the World of Concrete in January. Refuse customers will be able to see the complete TerraPro Series dedicated for tough refuse applications at Waste Expo in Atlanta, May 8-10.

"Mack designed the TerraPro Series models from the inside out, based on many decades of experience in the refuse business," said Steve Ginter, Mack vocational products manager. "The TerraPro Series takes everything we learned with the Mack® MR and LE models, and gives customers the most versatile and comfortable trucks Mack has ever built for the refuse industry."

TerraPro Low Entry comes with many features designed for the specific needs of the refuse industry. Its low-to-the-ground cab height (17 inches) provides easy one-step entry and exit for curbside pickup operations. It can be configured for front-, rear- or side-loading. It has the largest door openings in the industry for easy entry and egress. And its dual-steer design enhances driver flexibility and productivity by putting the driver in exactly the right place for any routes, with all critical controls duplicated on each side of the cab.

"Mack's refuse customers are in a tough, competitive business that demands maximum efficiency," said Tom Kelly, Mack vice president, marketing. "Our commitment to customer focus means truly understanding our customers' operations. Drivers play a huge role in refuse applications and our new TerraPro Low Entry model allows them to achieve full productivity."

Also critical to refuse truck productivity is a well-designed work brake - and the Mack Work Brake System includes fail-safe features. Moving the brake's hand lever activates the brake and engages the service brakes, thereby holding the truck's position during refuse collection. Releasing the brake and engaging the transmission also requires only one movement. This feature saves time for drivers in high-cycle operations and reduces wear and tear on brake components.

Mack engineers and designers went to great lengths to make the TerraPro Low Entry and its sibling, the TerraPro Cabover, a comfortable and productive work environment for drivers.

Interior features include:

ergonomic seats
    easy-to-read gauges and easy-to-reach switches
    provisions for mounting camera systems
    steering column positioned for ample belly room
    efficient, effective HVAC climate control system
    easy-to-reach parking brake
    cab lighting controls reachable from the ground
    plenty of storage
    plus, a cup holder designed for easy use in a work truck.
    The TerraPro Cabover also has:

an integrated armrest, ideal for joystick operation
    courtesy map light
    accelerator and brake pedals suspended above the cab floor and mounted in-line to reduce driver effort (the suspended pedals also make the floor easier to clean).
    In addition, the TerraPro Series offers a smooth quiet ride thanks to the design of its engine mounts, cab bushings and rubber isolators, and electronically controlled fan - all of which minimize noise and vibration on the job.

The interior of the TerraPro Series is as efficient and productive as it is comfortable. Its low-profile electronic dash enhances visibility while at the same time incorporating comprehensive driver information displays. The instrument cluster features 25 indicator lights, while the dash also contains an automatic transmission temperature gauge. Electronic gauges improve accuracy and reliability while eliminating oil lines and most air lines from the gauge cluster. A new standard engine hour meter that features a wake-up display when the ignition is off is included as well. A battery backup protects vital information stored in the engine control systems.

The TerraPro Series features the next generation of Mack's Vehicle Management and Control System - V-MAC® IV - allowing customers to better control costs and closely monitor truck and engine performance. The V-MAC IV system offers more than 100 proven programmable features, and adds a host of new items, including road speed tamper detection, integrated starter protection and programmable daytime running light override. V-MAC IV electronics include DataMax™, advanced software that captures information such as vehicle trip histories, duty cycle information and scheduled maintenance intervals.

Both customers and bodybuilders will appreciate the in-cab Control Link and back-of-cab Body Link™ II electrical interface systems in the new TerraPro models. These provide required quick-connections to the bodybuilder's control unit, as well as pass-through harnesses and connectors from the controller to the body - meeting the needs of any application in the refuse industry. The TerraPro Cabover model features pneumatic lines for joystick mounting on the integrated armrest.

Offered with the proven Mack camelback rear suspension, the TerraPro Cabover can also be spec'd with the Mack M-Ride™ six-rod suspension, allowing up to 17-inch articulation for maneuverability in landfills and on jobsites. The TerraPro Series is available in both 6x4 and 4x2 axle configurations.

The TerraPro Low Entry comes standard with the EPA'07-certified 11-liter Mack MP7 engine, in two ratings: the MP7-325M Maxidyne® model with 325 hp and 1200 lb-ft of torque; and the MP7-345C MaxiCruise® version with 345 hp and 1360 lb-ft of torque. The TerraPro Cabover is standard with the Mack MP7-325M and has optional Mack engines up to 405 hp. The Mack MP7 has superior low-end torque and power, and features single overhead cams, electronically controlled ultra-high-pressure fuel injection, one-piece steel pistons, and robust bearings and cylinder heads.

Refuse vehicles frequently work in densely populated areas, with intense public demands for clean operations. The TerraPro Low Entry meets these demands with an application-specific diesel particulate filter - the Mack Back-of-Cab Non-Catalyzed DPF - that reduces particulate matter emissions by more than 90% over the previous generation of engines.

Mack's new TerraPro™ Low Entry model is a versatile heavy-duty chassis designed for a variety of refuse applications, including front-, rear- and side-loading.

Dedicated to quality, reliability, and total customer satisfaction, Mack Trucks, Inc. has provided its customers with innovative transportation solutions for more than a century. Today, Mack is one of North America's largest producers of heavy-duty trucks, and MACK® vehicles are sold and serviced in more than 45 countries worldwide. All Mack manufacturing locations are certified to the internationally recognized ISO 9001 standard for quality and ISO 14001 standard for environmental management systems. Mack is also a proud sponsor of Share the Road, an American Trucking Associations' public information campaign aimed at enhancing the safety of our nation's roadways.

Mack is a member of the Volvo Group, a publicly held company headquartered in Gothenburg, Sweden. With annual sales of approximately $34 billion, Volvo business areas include heavy trucks, buses, construction equipment, marine and industrial drive systems, aerospace, and financial services. In the United States, Volvo shares are listed on NASDAQ and are traded as ADRs (symbol: VOLV).
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Forum Member

Post Mack MR Chassis ?

Any departments that are looking at a Mack have many other chassis to pick from like this custom HME SFO, or a two door Pierce, Seagrave, Kme, Ferrara, Spartan, etc!...
    Last edited by NewJerseyFFII; 07-20-2007 at 11:40 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NewJerseyFFII View Post
    Any departments that are looking at a Mack have many other chassis to pick from like this custom HME SFO, or a two door Pierce, Seagrave, Kme, Ferrara, Spartan, etc!...
    Why would they want to?
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber

Mack CF's where the BEST!!! LEGENDARY!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dano8696 View Post
    The main word to look at are "WERE the best" But thanks I will stick with a Chassis acually designed for the modern day fire service looking forward to seeing the new Mack chassis on our city garbage trucks though.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firetdriver99 View Post
    But thanks I will stick with a Chassis acually designed for the modern day fire service looking forward to seeing the new Mack chassis on our city garbage trucks though.
    Though a Freighliner/Sterling, International, or GMC aren't really desgined for the fire service either...but they are cheaper. THe MR is/was a good alternative to a commmercial chassis as it is cab over and cheap but still has plenty of power (435 HP?). I think they're a good chassis for a tanker, but I have seen them on literally eveything...ladder to engine.

Forum Member

Please enlighten me as to what constitutes a chassis "designed for the modern fire service".Inquiring minds want to know. Is it anything like "sole source"? I can think of no industry harder on trucks than the refuse industry. But you don't see too many Spartan garbage trucks. T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanx TC, if some of these guys knew what they are missing! My company had one of the last 5 Ahrens Fox pumpers built in 1955. The chassis were built by C.D. Beck and that became the CF-Mack.
    METZ AERIALS: "SO EASY A CAVEMAN CAN USE THEM"

dazed and confused

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    Please enlighten me as to what constitutes a chassis "designed for the modern fire service".Inquiring minds want to know. Is it anything like "sole source"? I can think of no industry harder on trucks than the refuse industry. But you don't see too many Spartan garbage trucks. T.C.
    I was thinkin' the same thing.
    God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
    Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
    Click this to search FH Forums!

Forum Member

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by dano8696 View Post
    We had 3 Mack CF's at one time, a 1970, 1972, & 1974 Mack Baker Aerialscope. They were very good trucks, this one is still in service today and was rebuilt/refurbed back in 1985 !...
    Last edited by NewJerseyFFII; 06-17-2007 at 12:14 PM.

Forum Member

If I need to enlighten you then maybe you need to pick another profession. Custom Chassis are designed with the fire service in mind Pierce,KME,E-One,Spartan,HME and Seagrave, some commercial Chassis such as International,freightliner M2 have the fire service in mind also when designing their chassis such as the wiring for the extra lights bells and whisles and such. Mack no longer produces a true fire chassis and while they were a good chassis in the 70's and 80's and even before then, the newer Mack Chassis lack the qaulity and endurance that the older ones do. They also lack the runing radius of the custom chassis. Your right the Garbage and contruction business is extremly hard on chassis but they also arent expected to last 20 years like a fire Engine is.
    Last edited by firetdriver99; 05-25-2007 at 01:14 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

T.C.,
    Good luck with this Guy, he's a no capeesh!
    METZ AERIALS: "SO EASY A CAVEMAN CAN USE THEM"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firetdriver99 View Post
    If I need to enlighten you then maybe you need to pick another profession........the newer Mack Chassis lack the qaulity and endurance that the older ones do. They also lack the runing radius of the custom chassis. Your right the Garbage and contruction business is extremly hard on chassis but they also arent expected to last 20 years like a fire Engine is.

Wow.....6 years in the fire service and you are telling someone else they need to pick another profession......

Then why does Mack have the trashpacker, dump and concrete chassis markets cornered?

You dont drink with firefighter807 do you?
    Last edited by FWDbuff; 05-25-2007 at 09:11 AM.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Yep,after 38 yrs it's getting time for a new profession.Maybe selling fire trucks. Pick a truck,ANY truck. Take it apart and tell me what you find.The only big difference is the cab.And most of todays offerings have the upgraded wiring and other items required for upfitting.This view is somewhat oversimplified but the TRUE custom is a thing of the past. Think about it,how do you build a truck today? On a COMPUTER! Same with the body,they figure out the cubes,what you want for available options and assemble it. Now keep in mind my first "firetruck"was a 48 Chev with a hosebed and a 500 pump.Nice piece for the time.We've advanced a bit from there but I still see rigs being built on all kinds of chassis,they all still respond to and mitigate emergencies and for the most part all serve out their service life with the usual amount of problems, REGARDLESS of who built them. Now obviously,this has not been your life experience. So my question remains,what do YOU think constitutes a "true fire truck chassis"? I have my opinion,we welcome yours. T.C.

Forum Member

Ok some people are very suprised when I talk about this being a young guy (22yrs old) but the mack CF like the one above and the 4 door ones are hands down the badest fire trucks ever made.

Forum Member

Default There are worse things you could do

Yep,after 38 yrs it's getting time for a new profession.Maybe selling fire trucks.

Rescue101, you have the background and knowledge but would you be willing to give up the easy life you have now to go out and sell fire trucks? I would be willing to give you the needed "ball pein hammer lobotomy" to make your transition from the easy life of a small business owner to apparatus sales easier. Anything for a friend.

Forum Member

24/7/365, yeah that's an easy lifestyle.But you raise a valid point.I'll be thinking of you and Glenn sweatin' your ba**s off in Springfield. Don't forget we're going Outback when you get out of work that Friday.And NO, that isn't negotiable.And you can tell your Boss I said so.My pups need a little culture.You guys are going to help me give them some,hehe T.C.

dazed and confused

I have my opinion,we welcome yours. T.C.
    (are you quoting Fred Nutter? lol)
    God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
    Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
    Click this to search FH Forums!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Wow.....6 years in the fire service and you are telling someone else they need to pick another profession......

Then why does Mack have the trashpacker, dump and concrete chassis markets cornered?

You dont drink with firefighter807 do you?
    Lol you Mack fans keep waving your flags.
    24 years in the fire service.
    I dont know why they have those Markets cornered my guess would be alot of times they are Low Bid.

No but if he offered I would probably take him up one one.
    Last edited by firetdriver99; 05-26-2007 at 12:29 AM.

Thread Information