Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Chicago FD Paramedic

Can you be hired at CFD as a Medic only? If so how do you go about doing this. I thought CFD was similar to Madison in which you must first be hired as a FF then get promoted to Medic. Once hired as a medic in Chicago can you apply within to become a FF?

Thanks

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Paramed36 View Post
    Can you be hired at CFD as a Medic only? If so how do you go about doing this. I thought CFD was similar to Madison in which you must first be hired as a FF then get promoted to Medic. Once hired as a medic in Chicago can you apply within to become a FF?

Thanks
    Paramed36,

Yes you can be hired by CFD as a medic only, as I and nearly 700 other people are. You then have the option to stay as a single role paramedic for the duration of your career or you can take the firefighter entrance exam and cross as a firefighter.

You must take the exam to even be eligible to cross as a firefighter. The city is still hiring from a firefighter list from 1995. No further processing has taken place on the 2006 list.

The city has opened up the list three times in the past 8 years for paramedics. Once in 2000, 2004, and just opened it up at the begining of 2007. Have not hired from the 2007 list and there still exists around 100 paramedics that were processed from the 2004 list that have not been hired or released from further processing.

Staffing is currently "full" for CFD. If they ever start crossing medics then they will start needing medics. Currently though, nearly 70% of CFD medics have less than 8 years of employment.

If you are interested in notification of the next paramedic list, contact city hall, department of personnel and request to be put on the notification list. Before I was hired, I requested to be put on the list every six months. I ended up getting 5 postcards notifing me of hiring! So, give the a ring and get on the list if you want to!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Thanks CHitownMedic

Thanks for the info!

I have a couple more questions if you don't mind.

Are the medics in the IAFF? Is the pay/benifit package similar to the FF's? I understand the schedule you work is 24 on 72 off. Is this true? How many calls(on average) do you run a shift? I tried to find some information on the web but am having a rather difficult time.

Thanks for your time!

Forum Member

Starting pay is 4% less than the firefighters. Same pay increment schedule. You have the option of joining the IAFF with employment. 24/72 shifts. 89 days a year for the first 5 years. 86 up until 15 years.

Thread Information