Default Not sure what to do here.

I have a question for all of you who know alot about the Fire ACT Grants.

I am a member of a dept. who was awarded the grant last year.

First off, I wrote the grant and my name was on it as far as administrator.
    I recently found out that there may have been some money spent on things that were not what was asked for in the application. I was not allowed to have any part in the decision making as far as what was purchased and not. I was simply told when and how much money to request to be transfered to our account to pay bills.

I had no knowledge of what was being done and if I had I would have refused to allow it.

My question is if I report this am I going to be held responsible for what happened. I was nothing but a pee on in this. I want to ensure the integrity of this program and I know it should be reported, I am just afraid that I will be held accountable.

Can anyone give me some suggestions?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by firemedic1999 View Post
    I have a question for all of you who know alot about the Fire ACT Grants.

I am a member of a dept. who was awarded the grant last year.

First off, I wrote the grant and my name was on it as far as administrator.
    I recently found out that there may have been some money spent on things that were not what was asked for in the application. I was not allowed to have any part in the decision making as far as what was purchased and not. I was simply told when and how much money to request to be transfered to our account to pay bills.

I had no knowledge of what was being done and if I had I would have refused to allow it.

My question is if I report this am I going to be held responsible for what happened. I was nothing but a pee on in this. I want to ensure the integrity of this program and I know it should be reported, I am just afraid that I will be held accountable.

Can anyone give me some suggestions?

Give me a call at 800-992-0272 Ext 3111 ( ignore the auto-attendant and just push 3111 and it will come straight to me).
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

FH Mag/.com Contributor

There is the Excess Fund of $4999 federal that is a buffer, and even though it's better to get clearance first, you may not have a problem. From DHS anyway, that's a pretty crappy set of folks you're surrounded by if that's going on. Drop the hint to whoever is pulling the strings that they'll soon join those already in federal prison for attempted to defraud the US Government if they don't come clean and return stuff or pay for it out of pocket to make up the difference. If they don't, DHS would probably like to hear about this now, expecially since it will be found out about later at audit time.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Ouch!!!

Yeah, I would definetly find out what they did. The PG states that the excess funds must be used to further the project unless special arrangments are made. Did they purchase more of what was asked for in the application or was it other stuff? Definately give Kurt a call man and he will do what he can to help you out.

I would not want to be that dept. right now.

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er View Post
    There is the Excess Fund of $4999 federal that is a buffer, and even though it's better to get clearance first, you may not have a problem. From DHS anyway, that's a pretty crappy set of folks you're surrounded by if that's going on.
    I am aware of the $4999 excess funds for expanding the project, but in this case I have reason to beleive that the funds were used for things not in the original application, so therefore they should have to get clearance from DHS from what I understand about it.

I hate to cause them trouble but I don't want to get into trouble myself for something I really didn't have control over.

Default Audit

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er View Post
    If they don't, DHS would probably like to hear about this now, expecially since it will be found out about later at audit time.
    Do they audit everyone or is just random?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by firemedic1999 View Post
    Do they audit everyone or is just random?
    Everyone is supposed to have a FP&S examination ( not audit per se). From some of your comments here it appears to me that your department did follow what was supposed to be obtained inthe orginal grant applicaton. Is that correct?

If the problem is simply with them buying something that was outside the scope of their original project, with excess funds, then the problem although serious, is not quite as bad as you may think. It is difficult to render any sort of advice via this forum when we don't have the whole story. Feel free to call me and we can get into this deeper and get a resolution that will turn out right for all. I'm working in office today if you want to call.
    Kurt Bradley

MembersZone Subscriber

Kurt, you are too dedicated, Im working because its my shift. You need to find Jack this afternoon and have a serious talk.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by WFDFPBEMSL4 View Post
    Kurt, you are too dedicated, Im working because its my shift. You need to find Jack this afternoon and have a serious talk.

I'm just working while the ribs are smoking and being smothered in JD sauce! Key to fall off the bone ribs; close the lid and resist the turge to open it for 7 hours!
    MMMMMHHH, MMMHH Good!
    Kurt Bradley

Forum Member

seems like this is happening more and more...........

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Ribs

any left overs?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyg26 View Post
    any left overs?
    Well I cooked about 30 lbs of ribs for 25 people and there was still about 6-7 lbs left over after the intitial feed at 5:00PM. Unfortunatley, once everyone got their second wind at about 8:00PM last night, they devored that pile also. Only thing left was about two helpings of BBQ beans. I'll try to save some for you at the July 4th bash.
    Kurt Bradley

MembersZone Subscriber

Any chance of some chicken with the ribs? I should be there by 3 on the 4th.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by WFDFPBEMSL4 View Post
    Any chance of some chicken with the ribs? I should be there by 3 on the 4th.
    The 4/7 celebration menu has ribs, brisket, chicken and venison on the menu right now. Come on down!
    Kurt Bradley

Forum Member

Default Forget something??

Kurt.....I'm disappointed in you! Shouldn't you have something from Tennessee on your menu to wash all of that down? You know it's used for more than just marinade didn't you????? Don't tell me nothing good has ever come from Tennessee!! We've got BBQ and JD!

Thread Information