Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Forum Member

Default Painted Bumper Vs. Chrome Bumper

Ok, so why should our apparatus committee choose one over the other? Is the painted bumper more durable over time compared to the chrome bumper? Is it easier to repair dings and knicks to a painted bumper instead of a chrome bumper? Does a painted bumper provide more safety then a chrome bumper due to it being solid steel? Thoughts, opinions, suggestions????

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Purely on looks alone I prefer the chrome bumper.

The advantage to a painted bumper is if it is damaged or scuffed up it is easily repaired.

FyredUp

Forum Member

Can you get a chrome bumper shaped like a steel bumper with the angled corners like what Chicago and FDNY use? I think this is a good idea as that corner probably isn't getting a whole lot of use and it's one less thing to get busted off.

Permanently Removed

It sure will stop truck damage better than chrome, Steel is the way i would go. TL
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by SSIaerialmanTIM; 05-26-2007 at 12:05 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber firefighterbeau's Avatar

to match the other trucks?? might be a reason. a chief i worked under threw a fit when he seen the second F550 we got didnt have a chrome grill and wheel simulators like the other one. Chrome is no where in any book as a firefighting agent, that is what i explained to them. the money could be put to much better use than makin a truck ''pretty''

I believe that the painted or squared off bumpers are heavy duty steel bumpers that are super strong. I know sparton offers them because places like Dallas, Ft worth and Arlington are going to them. It sounds like they take one hell of a beating.
    Chris
    FF/Lic-Paramedic
    Galveston FD "The Big House"
    IAFF Local 571
    www.galvestonfiredept.org

Just dip the heavy bumper in the plating vat.

MembersZone Subscriber

Spartan calls that there severe duty bumper. If I were buying a truck today, I think it would be the only way I would go. If you would happen to get into an accident, it would save your truck so much. If looks are an issue, you can get a Stainless Steel trim kit to go around the painted bumper. If I can find any photos, I'll post them here.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ctt447 View Post
    Ok, so why should our apparatus committee choose one over the other? Is the painted bumper more durable over time compared to the chrome bumper? Is it easier to repair dings and knicks to a painted bumper instead of a chrome bumper? Does a painted bumper provide more safety then a chrome bumper due to it being solid steel? Thoughts, opinions, suggestions????
    depends if your in a high traffic area and your chances of being in an accident are high I would go with steel also but I know from past experiences alot of manufacturers charge up to $2,000.00 or more for them

Low run little traffic tight budget I would go with chrome and spend the extra money on other needed equipment.

MembersZone Subscriber Halligan84's Avatar

Talking

Does a painted bumper provide more safety then a chrome bumper due to it being solid steel? Thoughts, opinions, suggestions????
    Aren't they both steel? 40,000 lbs moving at almost any speed coming in contact with something will damage whatever it hits. The "severe duty" and painted bumper deals are great marketing tools. If FDNY didn't get them how many little FD's do you think would have them now. Same with severe duty, who wants to be known as a light duty FD? So they strip the cab down, paint the bumper instead of chrome and charge you more money... beautiful!

Kinda like the guy who invented extra large condoms... who's gonna pick the regulars off the rack now? Brilliant!

We ordered the painted steel bumper mainly for the smoother larger surface for the chevron striping. It is also about 3 times thicker steel than the chrome bumper. I know everyone has an opinion on whether one is better than the other or one looks better than the other. We could care less. What you see is our opinion.

Forum Member

Last year our engine 4-2 was in a MVA on the New Jersey Turnpike at a toll plaza when a tractor trailer made a dead stop in front of us. The chrome bumper,front suction, Q2 siren, grill, front trash line, plumbing, were all pushed back into the cab, a red painted steel bumper would have been the same. After 2 months of repair at the KME plant & $ 100,000 in damage all is fine!...
    Last edited by NewJerseyFFII; 10-24-2007 at 07:04 PM.

Here's one with the patented Detroit Bumper.

http://www.northtexasusar.com/

Dallas has the chrome insert things on the severe duty bumper.
    Chris
    FF/Lic-Paramedic
    IAFF Local 571

http://www.bensware.com/firetrucks/a...Rollover53.jpg

Here is an Arlington truck with the severe duty bumper after it hit a concrete barrier. They just put the new bumper on that truck a few months back. With the old bumper it would've pushed it into the cab more.
    Chris
    FF/Lic-Paramedic
    IAFF Local 571

Chris
    FF/Lic-Paramedic
    IAFF Local 571

As far as the big steel bumpers go, I believe it was either Chicago or FDNY who calls them "Cab Crushers".
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Purely on looks alone I prefer the chrome bumper.

The advantage to a painted bumper is if it is damaged or scuffed up it is easily repaired.

FyredUp
    Agreed. Nothing beats the look of a highly polished chrome bumper on your apparati.

That said, our next rig will have the chevron stripping on the bumper, so we will probably go with painted steel. With the stripping you wont see much chrome anyway.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

MembersZone Subscriber

We went with the painted angled off bumpers for looks! We like it better. In my opinion nothing says "This is a parade truck" more than chrome. Regardless of actual price, taxpayers often think of chrome and bells as show stuff vs. functionality. Our trucks are designed to look like the war wagons they are. In fact it's become a slightly sore subject in our dept. due to the "no chrome or aluminum wheels (except as required for braking benefits on the Tower ). So we suffer with red painted wheels. If thats our biggest complaint... I'll keep my trap shut!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Painted Bumpers

Toronto have adopted the "Chicago" style steel painted bumper to reduce damage to the apparatus and easier to repair and don't look that bad in either red or silver..

Thread Information