Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Forum Member

Default Helmet Mounted Lights

I am going to purchase helmet lights for all of my members. Can anyone tell me some good lights to use or any problems with any of the lights they use. Also do you think lights on the helmet are helpful.

MembersZone Subscriber KevinFFVFD's Avatar

for a few monthes now i have been useing two LED garrity lights with a strap on my helmet...

http://www.thefirestore.com/store/pr...le_flashlight/

but i have found with the type of helmet i have (the modern style Bullard) that the lights do not stay in place that well and i am always having to reposition them, plus its not really that bright.

last week i bought the Pelican 2400C StealthLite with the metal mounting bracket for the hemlmet...

http://www.thefirestore.com/store/pr...ries_included/

http://www.thefirestore.com/store/pr...style_helmets/

i have heard good and bad things about having a helmet mounted light. its good because no matter where you look you have a light source pointing that way. but i have also noticed that in zero visability conditions it dosent help that much. i also also have the Streamlight Survivor LED and i depend on it more than i do the helmet light, but the helmet light is nice to have

MembersZone Subscriber mcaldwell's Avatar

We used helmet lights for years, but have drifted away from them lately in favour of Pelican Big and little Eds. We still have a bunch in service, but I haven't replaced any in a while.

If you do want to try them, here are a few tips we learned over the years.

1. 4 AA mini lights eat batteries like crazy. I would reccomend LED's to help with this.

2. Buy the garritys that sit tight to the dome, or buy two, and mount on each side. The weight of one side only will drive you nuts.

3. Don't use those long metal or plastic mounts as designed. Bend them to keep the light right beside the dome, or they will snag everything, and the tilt factor will be multiplied.

I preferred a custom mount I made that had the light sitting tight to the brim under the visor hinge. Best profile, and no snags.

The new helmets with the integrated light slot are slick, but reduce the space for those with big heads.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber SWLAFireDawg's Avatar

I had one mounted for a brief time, but after people complaining that every time I talked to them on a scene thew light would shine right in their eyes I decided to remove it. Now I just strap a rechargable light off the engine to my side where I can get it when I need it.

Also, as mentioned above, while going through a black out maze with it on, it seemed to snag on every wire in the room. I also removed my visor and went to goggles after that.

I've got a Garrity on my helmet.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by RFRDxplorer View Post
    I've got a Garrity on my helmet.

Makes two of us. Well actually it's sitting in a box right now, but when I get back on a dept it will be back on. QUACK QUACK
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member

I have the old style of Garrity. I remember back when you could buy those for like a buck a piece...The last 2 I bought were 2.97 a piece. It holds up pretty well. The one I have now has the lense disorted, and the plastic on top is a little wavery from heat. But the light still works.

I've stayed away from a helmet mounted light because I learned the hard way a few times in an entanglement prop they're a PITA. However, Streamlight makes a rubber strap which allows a 4AA style light to be mounted through holes mounted in the strap. I think I get the strap for $3 for the guys that want them on the department, and this setup keeps the light "tighter" to the helmet than some of the other mounts.

http://www.streamlight.com/product/product.aspx?pid=83#

A neighboring department is using a simple LED type "headlight" style setup like a Petzl unit mounted on their helmets, but on the cheap available from the local hardware store. Kind of neat idea - everyone turns it on while on a scene (MVC, fire) and you can see your folks and readily ID them as yours, they aren't as obtrusive as more powerful lights, and work great for seeing to write reports, etc.

They look like these, but this isn't what they use:

http://www.rei.com/product/736938
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

I lve my responder 4aa. I had it mounted to my helmet but my visor keep knocking it off. The metal holders work fine but they snag on stuff.

We use an LED version from Black Diamond... It's kind of been adapted from the rock climbing sport on over to our side. It sits up underneath the front brim of our helmet, and stil manages to stay out of the way of our TIC mount on the top lip of our brims. It's a nice little light head, with a remote battery pack that is hidden up between the suspension and the liner... 4AAA batteries, and it lasts for quite a while...

Pretty bright, and yes, it annoys the hell outta the poor guy that you are talking to.
    Giggity - Giggity!

Forum Member

Default well

I never really cared much for helmet mounted lights. They always threw the balance off on my helmet and like others have said....snags on a lot of stuff.

Forum Member

Thumbs up blackjack light mount.

I have tried the metal and plastic ones for on top. The best one I have found to date mounts under the brim. Its called the BlackJack. Here is a link to see it. http://www.fdcrescue.com/Store/index.php

Mounts under the brim of my traditional and my metro. Its a little tight against the shield on the metro but the light with a recoil LED is amazing. As said in another post sometimes the light is right in the eyes of who you are talking to but the light has an off switch that helps avoid that. It doesnt stick out far enough to catch anything and is right in your line of vision.
    Last edited by ksfirefighter; 06-04-2007 at 01:18 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber WaterbryVTfire's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SWLAFireDawg View Post
    I had one mounted for a brief time, but after people complaining that every time I talked to them on a scene thew light would shine right in their eyes I decided to remove it. Now I just strap a rechargable light off the engine to my side where I can get it when I need it.

Also, as mentioned above, while going through a black out maze with it on, it seemed to snag on every wire in the room. I also removed my visor and went to goggles after that.
    I agree, nothing worse than getting blinded or blinding someone else.
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

IACOJ

"Criticism is prejudice made plausible."
    - H. L. Mencken (1880-1956)

We have rechargeable streamlights attached to ours. They're pretty bright, even in smoke.

I go with an LED Garrity strapped to the side of my helmet for several reasons.

1. It's cheap, if it melts it's a few bucks to replace, as oppsossed to the bracket mounted lights that costs $30 and upward.

2. It countours to the helmet better and is alot less likely than the bracket mounted lights to get snagged on something,

3. Personally I've noticed my LED garrity to last longer than the batteries in the bracket mounted lights.

4. The LED garrity puts off plenty of light and accually cuts through smoke somewhat.
    "You choose to go voluntarily into the fire. The blaze might well destroy you. But if you survive, every blow of the hammer will serve to shape your being. Every drop of water wrung from you will temper and strengthen your soul." Margaret Weis

Paul Richardson
    Firefighter/EMT-B
    OVFD unit# 343/SLVFD unit# 610

Forum Member

Problem with flashlights, in a good worker, you're not seeing anything regardless of how many lights you have strapped to you, so in our dep't, people are moving away from helmet lights and wearing Steamlights on our coats (LED or Halogen Bulbs), they are good in rescue situations too, because they are more easily aimed by hand than a light attatched to your head.

and like i said, in a good fire, you're not really using your light anyway

Default Lights???

The light of choice for us is Garrity. I have one one each side of my helmet I also carry a pelican light in my pocket. for greater distance.

Forum Member

UK4AA on the helmet..

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ksfirefighter View Post
    I have tried the metal and plastic ones for on top. The best one I have found to date mounts under the brim. Its called the BlackJack. Here is a link to see it. http://www.fdcrescue.com/Store/index.php

Mounts under the brim of my traditional and my metro. Its a little tight against the shield on the metro but the light with a recoil LED is amazing. As said in another post sometimes the light is right in the eyes of who you are talking to but the light has an off switch that helps avoid that. It doesnt stick out far enough to catch anything and is right in your line of vision.
    the blackjack rim is sweet. doesnt get in the way

Post Helmet light

Two FFs in my department just got the helmet mounted LED light strip from Foxfury when they went to the Harrisburg show.
    I have only seen the light used at a night time extrication and they worked out ok. They lighted up the area where they were looking at and when they looked at you it wasn't so bright that it blinded you. I will be interested in seeing how they do in smoke before I give my complete opinion on them.
    "Your spill is our thrill."

Thread Information