Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Interesting video

I found this video on youtube made by a Fire Science class (dont know from where) where they did test burns and compared collapse times on truss vs. frame construction, and placed 300lbs of weight on each. Pretty good video, thought I'd share it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jo5ZtBXJiHo
    NJ FFII/EMT-B

MembersZone Subscriber fireslayer1237's Avatar

pretty interesting. wonder if they would collapse quicker though if they had walls built up on the side to contain the heat more.
    FOOLS
    RFB-KTF-DTRT

MembersZone Subscriber mcaldwell's Avatar

Not too scientific, as the fires were significantly different at the 1 minute point, but the message is pretty clear.

I would prefer to see an enclosed roof, with a propane fired flame so you know the measurable BTU's applied. That would be the most "fair", and give a realistic (equal) comparison. I suspect in that scenario the second one would fail a little quicker, but the first one probably would too.

I think there is good value in that video if used anecdotally.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Yea I agree that it is not exactly scientific, being that its not closed in or anything. I think the time of collapse might be a little different if they closed the sides but the results would probably end up the same
    NJ FFII/EMT-B

Interesting: Amazing the complete catostrophic failure of the truss construction compaired to the rafter... Yes not scientific, But the fire was larger in #2 than #1, yet it held up better.... I think dunn said it best " don't trust a truss".. watch your step truckies!!!!!!!! Good vid, thanks for the link....
    Be SAFE!!! Go home when your shift is done and enjoy life.
    This is MY OPINION and ONLY MINE.
    Not my Departments/IAFF/WPFF

MembersZone Subscriber KevinFFVFD's Avatar

Sorry if this has already been said.

I agree with everyone on not closing in the roof for a better representation of an actual roof. Also, I donít think they added a ceiling??? Another words, wouldnít a ceiling offer another level of material the fire would have to burn through therefore affecting the time it would have taken for the truss to collapse???

Quote Originally Posted by KevinFFVFD View Post
    Sorry if this has already been said.

I agree with everyone on not closing in the roof for a better representation of an actual roof. Also, I donít think they added a ceiling??? Another words, wouldnít a ceiling offer another level of material the fire would have to burn through therefore affecting the time it would have taken for the truss to collapse???
    There would be limitless configurations you could come up with doing test burns. No ceiling would make the test comparable to having a garage fire. Either way, the ends should have been closed in as well as the sides to get accurate times.
    However, I don't think the point was looking to get 'accurate' times to failure for stick vs. truss - just a demonstration to show the crews that the instructors aren't full of $_it when they say trusses will collapse sooner when exposed to flame and high heat. A very useful video for training that I've saved!
    G

MembersZone Subscriber KevinFFVFD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Haweater View Post
    There would be limitless configurations you could come up with doing test burns. No ceiling would make the test comparable to having a garage fire. Either way, the ends should have been closed in as well as the sides to get accurate times.
    However, I don't think the point was looking to get 'accurate' times to failure for stick vs. truss - just a demonstration to show the crews that the instructors aren't full of $_it when they say trusses will collapse sooner when exposed to flame and high heat. A very useful video for training that I've saved!
    G
    you are right, good instructional video. i would use it, but i dont know how to download videos from youtube to use them in training. i wish i could because i know of a lot of videos i would like to use.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinFFVFD View Post
    you are right, good instructional video. i would use it, but i dont know how to download videos from youtube to use them in training. i wish i could because i know of a lot of videos i would like to use.
    See the link below for the free software to download from youtube.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Interne...-Grabber.shtml

A lot of my friends are enrolled at the Fire Science Program out to Dutchess I will have to direct them to this thread for the constructive criticism!
    JLS
    MFC
    51 Pride - R.I.P. Sandy
    Alarm 200644004, I won't ever forget.

Remember you only have 1*.

IACOJ

Thread Information