Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Career question

Default Career question

I am a 23 year old volly looking to obtain a job I was recently offered a postion in a department, but was unable to start on may 14th due to an unsettled DUI case. I was told once it was setteled I would be able to start in january 08. I had my court hearing and I am going to be entering into a first time offenders program since it is my first ever arrest. My question to everyone hear that could help is that I have no conviction doing it this way and after a year from now my arrest record will go away> Do you Think that the chance is still there of getting to start recruit school in January of 08.. I am looking for all the advice I can get..

I also posted this under the career section but figured this might be a better spot to post it

Default Handle it

FF...You were told to handle it and it looks to me that you have. You went to court and was given a diversion program....case closed . You need to notify the Department and let them know you have taken care of it.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

thank ypu for the advice

Forum Member

Default What?

I was told once it was setteled I would be able to start in january 08. Do you Think that the chance is still there of getting to start recruit school in January of 08.. I am looking for all the advice I can get..

I think they're giving you lip service and you shouldn't plan on the next academy. Miracles do happen but I don't think so in this case.

DUI/Diversion program.

Consider this. You were arrested for a DUI right? You're trying to get into a diversion program hoping it will go away? Maybe not. Because no chief wants his firefighters arrested for anything especially a DUI.

So even if you get into a diversion program the arrest will still be on your record to explain why. Many of the background packets will ask you in several different ways "have you ever" including if you've entered a diversion program or had a charge expunged. If you don't reveal this information and it is found later, you're gone.

The problem is this is a fairly new DUI charge. I know candidates who've had DUI's more than 6 years old who still can't get hired.
    ______________________________ _______________

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

I am not a DUI expert, but it sounds like youre jumping through all of the hoops needed.

I would recommend saving any and all paperwork so that if/when the Chief/Department call you, youre ready to give them any information needed.

Lastly, this is a legal issue. Getting into the fire department is a rare opportunity. Might want to consult an expert attorney for the answers you need vs. just us in here.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefighter4512 View Post
    I was told once it was setteled I would be able to start in january 08.
    Were you told this verbally or in writing?
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Thread Information