MembersZone Subscriber

Default Michigan Certs. and IFSAC

How do I know if my Michigan FFI and FFII, Hazmat Awa. and Ops. are IFSAC approved? I recently moved to Georgia to take a career positon and the instructors are asking me if my Michigan certs are IFSAC approved. If they are I'm waved from the state exam and I can get out on the floor a little quicker. I looked at the certifications and all I see is the course/ exam number and the heading from the Michigan State Police Fire Fighters Training Council. The city doesn't require me to take the MPQ/ IFSAC test if I'm already IFSAC certified. If any of you have the info I'm looking for please let me know.

Forum Member

Try http://ifsac.org/

Where did you take the classes? I believe they are only IFSAC approved if the place you took the classes is accredited by them.

I currently have my paperwork in to get the IFSAC seal on my degree.

If Iím not mistaken, they have a degree and academy versions of accreditation.

MembersZone Subscriber

I took them in the Saginaw County Fire Academy. I'll check the Ifsac web site thanks.

Forum Member

Captain22,

I highly doubt they are approved. The Training Council in Michigan has been screwed up for many, many years. What would you expect when they have the State Police running a firefighters training council. When I retired I wanted to go back to instructing and I had given up my instructors certification back in 97. Their main reason being I was RETIRED and because I was not an active firefighter anymore, I could not even qualify to regain the cert. Didn't matter that I was an instructor for 16+ years, an academy and battalion instructor for my department, 33 years experience with certifications in rope rescue, confined space, haz-mat and trench rescue. Go figure!
    Last edited by FireLt1951; 05-29-2007 at 04:07 PM.

Forum Member

Michigan has no reciprocity with anyone for FF certs. I had to go to PA to challenge the test for IFSAC to get my military certs.

Easy way to tell-either your certs have a gold sticker that says IFSAC on it, or they don't.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the info guys. The training Capt. down here advised me today my Michigan certifications were not approved. I guess Michigan is out of the loop. Probably because of their great economy. That's why I left. My new department is hiring at least 30 more for the fall academy. I tried to explain to my former brothers back in Michigan how different it is down here. When I tested here there was less than 200 who applied for 25 positions. Up in Michigan there would have been at least 1000. Anyone interested in a position keep your eye on our union site for the announcements. www.iaff574.org

Stay safe and God bless!

Forum Member

Default Ifsac

I was reading your thread about certifications and accreditation. North Carolina is accredited by IFSAC. We have a great working relationship with other states and entities like DoD that come into our state requesting reciprocity for their certifications, usually, with no problems.

I understand that the State of Michigan is not interested in IFSAC or the Pro Board for accreditation at this time. There is a group that has started Pro Board accreditation, but on a small scale at this time.

If you have questions about accreditation, I will be glad to answer those questions or send you to someone that can. Email me at wayne_bailey642@hotmail.com

--W

Thread Information