Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Default Well We All Knew It, But Its Been Confirmed

I always knew that DC drivers were better suited to horse and buggy rather than motorized vehicles, now the proof is in the pudding as it were:

Survey: Many Drivers Wouldn't Pass Test
    84 Percent Don't Know What To Do On Yellow Light

POSTED: 10:11 am EDT May 25, 2007
    UPDATED: 11:05 am EDT May 25, 2007

What drivers think they know about the rules of the road might just get them in trouble someday.

According to the results from the 2007 GMAC Insurance National Drivers Test, one in six drivers on the road -- roughly 36 million licensed Americans -- would not pass their written department of motor vehicles exam if they had taken today.

The third-annual survey by GMAC Insurance gauges driver knowledge of the rules of the road by testing licensed Americans on actual questions from state DMV license exams.

According to this year's results, New York drivers ousted Rhode Island by ranking last in all 50 states and the District of Columbia on driver knowledge.

Idaho, on the other hand, topped the list and dethroned Oregon's tenure at first place as the most knowledgeable drivers in the United States. While the national average score was 77.1 percent, New Yorkers had an average of 71 percent and the highest failure rates -- 36 percent; Idaho had an average score of 81.7 percent.

In general, geographical regions ranked similarly to previous years, with Arkansas, Minnesota, Kansas and Wisconsin ranking in the top five and New Jersey, Washington, D.C., Massachusetts and Rhode Island in the bottom five among all states.

"All Americans need a refresher course when it comes to basic driving rules," said Gary Kusumi, CEO and president of GMAC Insurance Personal Lines Division. "Being a safe driver is about conduct, judgment and knowledge. We're hoping this year's results encourage people to arm themselves with the knowledge they need to stay safe."

What Does Yellow Mean?

Respondents completed 20 questions drawn from actual DMV tests. GMAC Insurance National Drivers Test respondents found two questions particularly vexing this year, driving scores down across the board: 81 percent couldn't identify the proper following distance from the car in front of them -- the correct answer is two seconds.

Even more -- 84 percent -- couldn't identify the correct action to take when approaching a steady yellow traffic light -- which is to stop if it is safe to do so.

Other points of interest drawn from the 2007 GMAC Insurance National Drivers Test include:

The older the driver, the higher the test score. Drivers 35-plus years old were most likely to pass.

More than half of respondents -- 55 percent -- don't know how many feet to signal before making right or left turns.

More than 2 in 5 drivers are unaware of the meaning of a diamond-shaped sign -- warning sign.

Nearly all respondents -- 98 percent -- know what to do when an emergency vehicle with flashing lights approaches, {MalEdit: WHAT? get out of the way?} what to do when hydroplaning and the meaning of a solid yellow line.

South Atlantic Region Lowest

Illinois, Georgia, Washington, D.C., Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, Rhode Island and Massachusetts were the least knowledgeable states overall, with average scores lower than 75 percent.

Idaho and Alaska were the most knowledgeable, with average scores over 81 percent.

Regions displaying the highest failure rates were the South Atlantic -- 20.8 percent -- and New England -- 15.7 percent.

Distributed by Internet Broadcasting

www.nbc4.com/automotive/13389234/detail.html
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Banned

Proof of what I have been saying all along. We keep putting stupid and bad drivers on the road. We need to stop treating driving like a right and treat it like a privilege.

It is not the native DC drivers, it is all the damn transplants! Everyone who grew up inside the Beltway knows that a yellow light means speed up, a red light means three more cars, and a green means to wait until those three cars have passed, unless you are making a left turn in which case you floor it before the traffic in the opposite direction can react. Duh!!!! Oh yeah and the left lane is the fast lane no matter if it is a highway, secondary street, or school zone, the middle lane is the slow lane as the right one is the hurry up to your exit lane.....
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

One of my favourite HATE maneouvers is the taxi (or personal vehicle) that pulls a U-turn right in the middle of 4pm rush hour traffic. I just LOOOOVVVEEE when they do that, especially when the vehicle is too large to make the turn in one sweep and they end up 3-pointing the turn. Gotta love it.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Let me guess....

This exam was in English (only)?

Thought so....
    Be safe y'all!
    IACOJ Animal Control
    Ladder 8
    "Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"

Thread Information