MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Default She's Packed Up And Is Going Home

Cindy Sheehan 'Resigns' As Protest Leader
    Activist Drained By Criticism, Partisan Politics

POSTED: 10:41 am EDT May 29, 2007

FORT WORTH, Texas -- Cindy Sheehan, the soldier's mother who galvanized an anti-war movement with her monthlong protest outside President George W. Bush's ranch, said Tuesday she's done being the public face of the movement.

"I've been wondering why I'm killing myself and wondering why the Democrats caved in to George Bush," Sheehan told The Associated Press while driving from her property in Crawford to the airport, where she planned to return to her native California.

"I'm going home for awhile to try and be normal," she said.

In what she described as a "resignation letter," Sheehan wrote in her online diary on the "Daily Kos" blog: "Good-bye America ... you are not the country that I love and I finally realized no matter how much I sacrifice, I can't make you be that country unless you want it.

"It's up to you now."

Sheehan began a grass roots peace movement in August 2005 when she set up camp outside the Bush ranch for 26 days, asking to talk with the President about the death of her son, Army Spc. Casey Sheehan. Casey Sheehan was 24 when he was killed in an ambush in Baghdad.

Cindy Sheehan started her protest small, but it quickly drew national attention. Over the following two years, she drew huge crowds as she spoke at protest events, but she also drew a great deal of criticism.

"I have endured a lot of smear and hatred since Casey was killed and especially since I became the so-called "Face" of the American anti-war movement," Sheehan wrote in the diary.

On Memorial Day, she came to some "heartbreaking conclusions," she wrote.

When she had first taken on Bush, Sheehan was a darling of the liberal left. "However, when I started to hold the Democratic Party to the same standards that I held the Republican Party, support for my cause started to erode and the 'left' started labeling me with the same slurs that the right used," she wrote.

"I guess no one paid attention to me when I said that the issue of peace and people dying for no reason is not a matter of 'right or left', but 'right and wrong,"' the diary says.

Sheehan criticized "blind party loyalty" as a danger, no matter which side it involved, and said the current two-party system is "corrupt" and "rapidly descending into with nary a check or balance: a fascist corporate wasteland."

Sheehan said she had sacrificed a 29-year marriage and endured threats to put all her energy into stopping the war. What she found, she wrote, was a movement "that often puts personal egos above peace and human life."

But she said the most devastating conclusion she had reached "was that Casey did indeed die for nothing ... killed by his own country which is beholden to and run by a war machine that even controls what we think".

"Casey died for a country which cares more about who will be the next American Idol than how many people will be killed in the next few months while Democrats and Republicans play politics with human lives," she wrote. It is so painful to me to know that I bought into this system for so many years and Casey paid the price for that allegiance. I failed my boy and that hurts the most."

"I am going to take whatever I have left and go home," Sheehan wrote.

"Camp Casey has served its purpose. It's for sale. Anyone want to buy five beautiful acres in Crawford, Texas?"

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press.

While I dont necessarily agree with her methods, I will admire her spirit in fighting for what she believes in. For that she gets full credit. How she went about it... well thats another story.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Post And...............

Probably the most Ironic thing is that her son died protecting her right to do the thousands of things that people get jailed for in almost all other countries. But All other Americans have rights too, including the right to disagree with her opinions. Which I certainly do. I fully support doing whatever we need to do to insure that our freedoms are always there. If "whatever we need to do" includes sitting in some insane country to prevent their troops from sitting in OUR Country, so be it. Armed Warfare is not a perfect way of doing business, but in some cases, it's the only viable option.
    Last edited by hwoods; 05-29-2007 at 11:24 AM.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Armed Warfare is not a perfect way of doing business, but in some cases, it's the only viable option.
    How true it is. Sad, but true. Sometimes ya just gotta use a bigger hammer.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

MembersZone Subscriber

She got lulled into a false sense of security when she was adopted as a darling by the left. However, as liberals often do, they eat their young. When she expressed her opinions that the liberals were just as culpable for her invented "war crimes", they threw her right under the bus.

I do, however, concur with the "Good Riddance" thoughts. I just do not believe she will really go. It would appear from her blog that her "friends" would beg her not to leave. That ain't happening.

Hook & Can

Sheehan criticized "blind party loyalty" as a danger, no matter which side it involved, and said the current two-party system is "corrupt" and "rapidly descending into with nary a check or balance: a fascist corporate wasteland."

While I dont necessarily agree with her methods, I will admire her spirit in fighting for what she believes in. For that she gets full credit. How she went about it... well thats another story.
    I agree with your sentiments, M27. Most people are too willing to just go with the flow these days.

I also agree, wholeheartedly, with the comments relating to the "current 2 party system."

MembersZone Subscriber

You know.... you have the right.... and the far right-wing.... such as those church wacko's and the likes of David Koresh.

Then you have the left...

And then, just like right, you have.... I guess the far far left.... or extreme liberal.

Thats just my opinon though.

Dont be offended for being called a wacko if you are out there.

MembersZone Subscriber

Isn't Wacko the brother to Jacko and Dot?

MembersZone Subscriber

As I said. This is a story from politico.com.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0507/4233.html

“Even though Cindy is, quote-unquote, retiring from the movement, she’s really just taking more of a break,” said Burns. “She’s not going away. Stay tuned."
    This is a situation where a woman threw a hissy fit because she was no longer the darling of the left who could say whatever she wanted with the full support of the media. She expected to be begged not to go. When that didn't happen, she had to change tack.

Unfortunately, we have not seen the last of her.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    This is a situation where a woman threw a hissy fit because she was no longer the darling of the left who could say whatever she wanted with the full support of the media. She expected to be begged not to go. When that didn't happen, she had to change tack.
    15-minutes of fame over in 5...4.....3...2...
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

Forum Member

Despite what one thinks about Sheehan she had a great soundbite on her way out the door that I believe to be true.

She stated that Americans are more interested in Lindsay Lohan's DUI than they are about the troops dying in Iraq.

And I have to agree with her.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    Despite what one thinks about Sheehan she had a great soundbite on her way out the door that I believe to be true.

She stated that Americans are more interested in Lindsay Lohan's DUI than they are about the troops dying in Iraq.

Pretty much. She is still a twit.

She allowed herself to be manipulated by "greater powers" shall we say. She got caught doing it, and that took away from her message. Propping herself up against Hugo CHavez didn't lend her any credibility either.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Temporarily Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    Probably the most Ironic thing is that her son died protecting her right to do the thousands of things that people get jailed for in almost all other countries. But All other Americans have rights too, including the right to disagree with her opinions. Which I certainly do. I fully support doing whatever we need to do to insure that our freedoms are always there. If "whatever we need to do" includes sitting in some insane country to prevent their troops from sitting in OUR Country, so be it. Armed Warfare is not a perfect way of doing business, but in some cases, it's the only viable option.
    Agreed....

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post

My brother has a picture he yanked offline of a dry erase board in a Marine barracks in Iraq.

"America isn't at war. The Marine Corps is at war. America is at the mall."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by emt161 View Post
    My brother has a picture he yanked offline of a dry erase board in a Marine barracks in Iraq.

"America isn't at war. The Marine Corps is at war. America is at the mall."
    Ya know, I have said for years that if a true World War II scenario ever repeated itself this country would never give up its sense of selfishness and greed like it has.

We are too self centered as individuals and have no comprehension of anything greater than ourselves.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey Sharkie, one thing I'll say though, besides that I intrinsically agree with you on your point is this:

Things would change in a hurry if it became a "shooting war" in Your backyard. Or at least I think it would.... Unless of course the war was on the East Coast, then naturally the Californians would still say "It didnt happen here, so lets keep shopping."

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up Yup!!...............

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7 View Post

Unless of course the war was on the East Coast, then naturally the Californians would still say "It didnt happen here, so lets keep shopping."

Ladies and Gentlemen, There you have it, my nomination for "Quote of the Week".
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks Chief.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7 View Post
    Hey Sharkie, one thing I'll say though, besides that I intrinsically agree with you on your point is this:

Things would change in a hurry if it became a "shooting war" in Your backyard. Or at least I think it would.... Unless of course the war was on the East Coast, then naturally the Californians would still say "It didnt happen here, so lets keep shopping."
    Not true Malahat. Because (I suspect) there would too many whiny people wondering the Federal Government failed to do anything to prevent it from happening. Those same people would have said that they were against any and all foreign intervention to prevent such an event from happening, as well as securing our borders, inspecting every container that came into the country, and "profiling" suspected persons of interest.

Then they would complain that we, as individuals, have been robbed of any means to defend ourselves and fight back. But those same individuals would have also been for stripping every single individual in the United States of America of their Constitutionally guaranteed right to keep and bear arms.

And the Californicators would be upset that they would not be able to get their double mocha soy latte at Starbucks.

A war in our own nation would change nothing. People would be fighting about how badly we treated our aggressors by putting a bullet into their heads. Let alone the fact that I would not be taking any prisoners. The ACLU would then complain that a disproportionate number of Blacks were killed in the initial attacks because more Blacks died in the major metropolitan areas than whites.

Forum Member

Pretty much gotta agree there.

MembersZone Subscriber

I was trying to be "optimistic". But you're right about the whiners. I suspect it would be much the same in Canada too. Ian's post about Admiral Lord Nelson in another thread comes to mind about "Political Correctness".

Thread Information