+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... Last
    Forum Member

Default Junior FFs are Firefighters

Here is how I feel about junior firefighters and whether they’re actual firefighters. Junior Firefighters are in the atmosphere to learn, and apply. They are taught the skills to successfully deal with a variety of emergencies. Whether they don’t classify as a FIREFIGHTER, is ridiculous. They are there to learn and apply. I am a junior firefighter and I believe I am a firefighter. I know that I am just as hardworking, if not more, than most “firefighters”. Just because I cannot go into a burning building does not mean I not a firefighter. Some “real” firefighters choose not go into a burning building anyways. I could care less about other people saying junior firefighters are not real firefighters. We all have different views of junior firefighters based on how dedicated they are to their department. I’m not around to bull*****, I’m around to do what I can for my community which is what ALL FIREFIGHTERS SIGNED UP FOR. Were all are apart of the fire department, we are all firefighters. Period.

PS: I'm not interested in anyone elses opinion. I just wanted to make my point.
    Last edited by mtfirejunior; 05-29-2007 at 06:55 PM.

Forum Member

*Ducks and covers*

Worldwide Menace

Ahhh.. yes.. where shall i start?

Here is how I feel about junior firefighters and whether they’re actual firefighters. Junior Firefighters are in the atmosphere to learn, and apply. They are taught the skills to successfully deal with a variety of emergencies. Whether they don’t classify as a FIREFIGHTER, is ridiculous. They are there to learn and apply.
    Medical Students are also in the business to Learn and Apply.. they are taught to deal with emergencies and are surrounded in the atmosphere to learn, Yet, do we call them Doctors? They Earn the title of Doctor.

I know that I am just as hardworking, if not more, than most “firefighters”. Just because I cannot go into a burning building does not mean I not a firefighter. Some “real” firefighters choose not go into a burning building anyways.
    Other firefighters have earned that right to be able to step back, while junior members step up to the plate.

I could care less about other people saying junior firefighters are not real firefighters. We all have different views of junior firefighters based on how dedicated they are to their department.
    Obviously you do care about the title, or this thread would hot have been posted. Is that all you are in it for, is the title? Sure seems like it may be. sounds like the wacker t-shirt firefighter mentality...

Were all are apart of the fire department, we are all firefighters. Period.
    Does that mean sally seamstress who comes to the fire department to help with secretarial duties is a firefighter? How about Luke Lawyer who handles legal issues for the Department yet does not act as a firefighter? is he a firefighter?

You have not earned the title of Firefighter yet. Hell Probies haven't earned the title of Firefighter yet.. they get that when they finish their probationary period.

It's children like you who think they are owed something that make People who have crawled on their hands and knees for miles cringe when 13 year old jimmy wacker demands to be called a Firefighter.

-Damien

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mtfirejunior View Post
    Here is how I feel about junior firefighters and whether they’re actual firefighters. Junior Firefighters are in the atmosphere to learn, and apply. They are taught the skills to successfully deal with a variety of emergencies. Whether they don’t classify as a FIREFIGHTER, is ridiculous. They are there to learn and apply. I am a junior firefighter and I believe I am a firefighter. I know that I am just as hardworking, if not more, than most “firefighters”. Just because I cannot go into a burning building does not mean I not a firefighter. Some “real” firefighters choose not go into a burning building anyways. I could care less about other people saying junior firefighters are not real firefighters. We all have different views of junior firefighters based on how dedicated they are to their department. I’m not around to bull*****, I’m around to do what I can for my community which is what ALL FIREFIGHTERS SIGNED UP FOR. Were all are apart of the fire department, we are all firefighters. Period.

JeremyCPFD, I missed you so much. I am looking forward to your fluid yet artistic style of debate and discussion. WELCOME BACK!

Forum Member

Wow, and to think, not even Two months ago you were only thinking of becoming a Junior. You had no clue as to what they did, how they were treated, nothing. Remember this thread you started?

"I am interested in being a FF and was wondering if Juniors are treated fairly and respected. Do the adult FF repect you, or are you the scum on the bottom of thier shoes? What do you do at a scene? Can you be cool with the adult FFs?"

This was just one of the "intelligent" threads that you created. Don't forget the one about Junior vs Explorer, and the several threads you started to find out if you could run lights on your car. Not even Two months, and you're a full fledged Firefighter? Another super junior, just what we need here. You are NOT a Firefighter! You seem to love to stir the pot though! Get a clue, learn from some of the Explorer's and Junior's that post here regularly, RFRDxplorer comes to mind. You may actually learn something.

I am from CT, where you state that you wanted to become a Junior, You are not considered a FF in this state.

Forum Member

Here's the "Reader's Digest" version of your "point", for those who don't have the patience to wade thru all your BS:
    My opinions might coincide with someone of importance's POV... I wouldn't know, since I never bothered to ask. My policy is: "Don't ask, don't care."

IACOJ--West Coast PITA

Forum Member

O god......
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
    For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
    Shall be my brother;..." - King Henry V - Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by Catch22 View Post
    It's not the brightest thing to come into a topic and try to provoke a bunch of guys/gals with more time on the firehouse crapper than you do in the firehouse.
    "crispitycrunchitypeanutbuttery t0ast" - DFurtman

Forum Member

I am a junior firefighter and I believe I am a firefighter.
    Guess what...Your the only one!

Point well made!
    With your childish attitude, you probably never will be a "real" firefighter.
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

Forum Member

Whangaparaoa Peninsular North Island New Zealand

Smile Really?

a Some “real” firefighters choose not go into a burning building anyways..

I just wanted to make my point.
    Not where I come from,Sunbeam--you do not get a" choice"-what do think Firefighting is? A version of "Come Dancing"?

You are what we would call a "Five Knuckle Shuffle"

2 months as a REAL ff and you would still be a probie, nothing more, your a jr, I'm a jr, WE are NOT fire fighters.

And that post script at the bottom, shows that you have some growing up to do.

Forum Member

I too am a junior. I have 3 years with my company, 2 as an explorer and 1 as a junior, but i know i'm not a firefighter yet. i still have another half a year until i start FF1, and it's 1 year from now until i graduate the class. then i'll be a firefighter. but not a day sooner.

i wish that wasn't true, and i wish i was a firefighter right now, but i'm not. gotta deal with the truth sometime.

Forum Member

I'm an Explorer. I am not a fire fighter. I don't have any certifications to go interior. I can't drive an engine. I can change out an air bottle, run some LDH, rack some hose, roll hose, hit a hydrant, or take a blood pressure of a fire fighter if I was assigned to rehab on a fire scene. I am not a fire fighter. I'm an Explorer. I'm here to learn about the job and what it takes, both physically and mentally.
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

Correction to my post-Im an explorer too, I just use the words interchangeably because a lot of people on the department call us juniors.

Forum Member

Smile Jr

Im a junior firefighter and have been for 3 years, ive taken many classes and have gotten state certificates. I took my essentials of firefighting, state test to become a firefighter... this does not mean i am a firefighter. I have dedicated the last 3 years to my volunteer department, running over 200 calls a year. I know that until im 18 (1 year) then i am limited on what i can do on the fire ground. We are juniors until the age of 18. We are here to learn how we can do a good job. A "grandpa" at my station told me as a junior to "keep my ears open, eyes open and you mouth shut."

*We are the future of firefighting, our day will come, just sit back and try to learn as much as possible before we are "FIREFIGHTERS"

Forum Member

Default Thanks

I was just looking to see how other juniors and explorers felt about the title of firefighter. Im not a whacker for those of you who think I am, im just looking as to see how serious the title is taken. There aren't many juniors in our department. I do not plan on becoming a full fledged firefighter, Im just interested in serving my community while still in High School. Thanks for you imput and sorry if the thread was newbie-ish.

Forum Member

What do you mean thanks? You clearly stated you were not interested in anyone elses opinion.
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

MembersZone Subscriber

Here is my 82 cents on this over-strectched topic.

Fire Explorers are NOT Firefighters. Sure, we may do a lot of the same things as a Firefighter, but, I wouldn't dare call myself a Firefighter. It is in fact, that attitude that can kill a Firefighter. Most Fire Explorers are still in school. Most explorers do not go through a rigorous 13-week academy, go through an oral interview, go through a psycopathological analysis to rid perverts and sociopaths from the system, and so on and so forth. If you would simply wait a few years, and wait to give your blood, sweat, and tears to the fire service, then you can call yourself a Firefighter. It takes thorough education, training, and most of all, patience to label yourself as a Firefighter. It takes the will to help and serve the community that gives you the label as a Firefighter. There is a specific reason the law prevents minors from going inside a hazardous environments.

Now that is not to say that we don't work hard, and all we do is sit on our rears and consume potato chips at the station. Explorers often do most of the dirty work, like cleaning toilets and washing dishes. That is part of it. Probationary firemen go through the same process you do. You ought to enjoy doing that. I know when I am at the station, I get a kick out of "Thank You" or "Good Job Man, that looks awsome!" after cleaning the dirtiest of bathrooms. It is THAT which makes you a fireman. We do not pull hoses all day. There is much more to being a Firefighter than running incidents.

It might take you a few years to understand this concept, but one day you will understand what many of us are trying to say.

God Bless, and stay safe.

Chris

All Gave Some. Some Gave All.
    FDNY - 343 - 9/11/2001

God Bless the Charleston 9. Godspeed Brothers.

Forum Member

I am a probie at my station, and Im am nearly 22. I have about 3 weeks left in my FIreFighter 2 class, and about 8 weeks left in my EMT Class. I run calls with my department. I do everything on the back of the Ambulance that an EMT-B would do, and I do everything at a fire scene (with exception of entering the building while its on fire, and pumping the water) and I am still not a Fire Fighter. I have about 1 month left on my probational period and then, and only then, will I begin to be a firefighter. Until this last month is over with, I am simply a probational member with no certifications. I am here to learn to become a firefighter.

Explorers/Juniors are here to learn about the job. Probies are here to learn how to perform the job and get the certifications to do the job right.

Neither are Firefighters.

End of discussion.
    Get busy livin, or get busy dyin. - Shawshank Redemption
    IACOJ

Permanently Removed

Back in the 80s, I was an Explorer Scout. I was there to learn and build my skills. I was NOT sworn, NOT badged and NOT a Firefighter.

Juniors and Explorers are there to learn all aspects of the fire service. Please remember your place, to be humble and listen to the people that are Firefighters and were there before you.

And even when you do become a Firefighter, you are still young and do not know it all. Its still a starting point and you need to continue your education.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 2andfrom View Post
    Not where I come from,Sunbeam--you do not get a" choice"-what do think Firefighting is? A version of "Come Dancing"?

You are what we would call a "Five Knuckle Shuffle"
    HAHAHA LMFAO. I spit orange juice all over the place.

Like my good friend RFxplr326 said, I am an explorer. I know my place and my limitations. I do not at any time consider myself to be a firefighter.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFxplr326 View Post
    What do you mean thanks? You clearly stated you were not interested in anyone elses opinion.
    I knew I would recieve an answer anyhow. I just wanted other peoples opinion about it. Im not trying to "stirr up" anything.

Forum Member

I knew I would recieve an answer anyhow. I just wanted other peoples opinion about it. Im not trying to "stirr up" anything.
    What are you trying to say then??? I'm very confused right now.

Does this seem familiar?

This is the very reason why respected members of these forums are being tossed out. Don't put stupid BS in your posts. You're instigating. Grow up. Please.
    Firefighter/EMT

MembersZone Subscriber

End the madness. No further replies. Please!
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    You only have to be stupid once to be dead permanently
    IACOJ Power Company Liason
    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution
    and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy. - Dave Barry.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFxplr326 View Post
    What are you trying to say then??? I'm very confused right now.

Does this seem familiar?

This is the very reason why respected members of these forums are being tossed out. Don't put stupid BS in your posts. You're instigating. Grow up. Please.
    I don't think he even knows what he wants too say.

Sorry pal but no matter what you say your going to get peoples opinions whether you want it. Don't try and go back on what you said.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member

I just love how these threads get going. Only problem is I don't have enough beer to sit back and watch the fireworks. Overall this was a pretty tame thread on this topic.

First to those Jr FF's and Explorers that do know your place...RFRD, RFXplorer, Toast, etc...I would be proud to have you in my station one day when you get on the job.

The stuff about being cosidered a FF just because your title is a jr FF is bull. We handout sticker badges to little kids who come in for a fire talk and the stickers say "junior fire chief"....I truly doubt any of those kids think they are a FF or Chief, because it says so on their sticker.

A jr FF, Explorer, Cadet's ONLY purpose is to learn what the job of FF entails. Not to act as a FF in any way shape or form. If you want to consider yourself a FF because it says FF after jr...then you might as well consider anyone who ever pee'd on a campfire a FF too.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... Last

Thread Information