Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smaller Grants

Forum Member

Default Smaller Grants

Since we are on a bit of a break in Grant Writing, I thought Id start a thread that highlights some of the smaller lesser known grants that are out there. Either state or national, does not matter. I just received a DCED grant from Pennsylvania. $10,000 for new Roof, $5,000 for new concrete in front of station. They are much needed repairs that we would have had to put out of pocket for. The DCED is an online, single form grant application that they do quarterly I believe.
    Anyone else want to add.

MembersZone Subscriber WJVaughn's Avatar

Wish I had more to add here. I do know that if you are not for profit volunteer agency you can sometimes hit up your local United Way for one time requests for specific items that bebefit the community in some way. I.E fire safety and prevention or training.

MembersZone Subscriber

We had some luck getting some little stuff from CMN. We ended up with a couple of pulse oximeters and glucometers. Not much, but it's more than we would have gotten had we had to spend our own money!

MembersZone Subscriber WJVaughn's Avatar

Catch, CMN?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by WJVaughn View Post
    Catch, CMN?
    Childrens Miracle Network. We had to show a need for children, but with some kids locally with asthma, diabetes, and such, it wasn't hard.

I have been very successful with several of the local charitable trusts. In the last five years they have funded 8 AED's for all our EMT's jump bags. Complete ice and cold water rescue gear and training and this year a pulse / carbon monoxide oximeter.
    Sometimes it's easier to convince them to give a few thousand $$$ for a small project than it is to ask for big dollars to complete a large project. There are many small charitable trust's that target specific goals in your local areas.

It is always a good idea to look in your area and see who the major corporate players are. What Fortune 500 companies are in your area, who are the major employers etc. Google Search them for a website and then check under "philanthropic activities, community services, charitable giving" and see what their eligibility requirments are and areas that they fund. Also a good idea to check specifically what they DO NOT fund also. Most corporate or private foundations will need you to be a IRS designated 501c3 but, many will waive that, or do not exclude you, if your are a semi-quasi government agency ( VFD, FD etc.). It never hurts to aks them; "no" is just a word. Technically speaking, there is more money, $68 billion dollars a year, given away by corporate and private foundations; more than is given by the government. You have to learn to think "out of the box" when looking to them for assistance and pay strict attention to making your project fit their needs first. remember you also work in areas of "community development", "child safety", "educational programs" ,"health and welfare". "disaster preparedness and recovery" . These are all terms you shoudl look for when looking at their giving patterns and areas of concern.
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Forum Member

Default CSX Railroad

Has anyone had any luck with the CSX Railroad? We have applied and still have heard nothing.

MembersZone Subscriber

Can you tell me where you found info on a grant from CSX. Their rails run the complete length of our district. We had a derailment a few years back and I can easily think of some much needed equipment

Forum Member

Default CSX Link

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the link. What did you apply for?

What is DCED?

MembersZone Subscriber

department of community and economic development I believe.

Forum Member

Default Correct

Correct. We have it here in PA. It comes out quarterly I believe. There is an online site to submit, and it helps to be in good with your State Senator..

MembersZone Subscriber

We've also found a couple of our hospitals have foundations they offer grants through. One is very proactive in regards to extrication equipment and AEDs. We're working on an app to get rams for our set-up.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Walmart Foundation for small grants?

Hi,

Just curious if anyone has gotten any grant money from your local Walmart store?

Their tag line is "We're committed to the communities we serve. We live here too. And we believe good, works."

The website is here if anyone else is interested (just as long as you don't apply at the Walmart I'm thinking about

http://www.walmartfoundation.org/wms...ipts/index.jsp

"To learn more about receiving a grant from your local Wal-Mart or SAM'S CLUB, please see the Community Involvement Coordinator at the location closest to you."

Thanks!!

Frank

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by frankr View Post
    Hi,

Just curious if anyone has gotten any grant money from your local Walmart store?

Their tag line is "We're committed to the communities we serve. We live here too. And we believe good, works."

The website is here if anyone else is interested (just as long as you don't apply at the Walmart I'm thinking about

http://www.walmartfoundation.org/wms...ipts/index.jsp

"To learn more about receiving a grant from your local Wal-Mart or SAM'S CLUB, please see the Community Involvement Coordinator at the location closest to you."

Thanks!!

Frank
    Yeah, back in December we got $500 to purchase an overhead projector for our laptop. We have a new one opening up closer to us next year, so I will be knocking on their door

Beth

Forum Member

Try your local Lowe's store, they have been good to donate as well. 24 volt sawzall combo kit works nice on the rescue. They also donate materilas for projects at the regional training center. Don't have a Home Depot, but would wager a guess the same deal there too.

I noticed you mentioned several smaller grants. The USDA also has grants for fire departments. It's based on community's median income. My town's income was just over the limit, however the next town over received funding for $70,000 + to purchase a rescue boat for river rescue last year and this year for a rescue equipped mule. I found an online link, however we went to our local office and filed the app with them.

http://www.rurdev.usda.gov/rd/nofas/index.html

FH Mag/.com Contributor

USDA's program is limited to 75% of the project costs based on median income for the area, but the advantage of working with them is that if you qualify then you can possibly get a loan from them for the remainder to make it easier to handle the 25%+ gap.

Thread Information