Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Exclamation Civilian Schooling or Join Military????

Hey everyone, i am twenty years of age. I just finished my first full year of college, taking some core classes and also getting my EMT-Basic. I am scheduled to start a Paramedic program in the fall if i get accepted. My ultimate goal is to get on a good city fire dept, i know it is EXTREMELY competitive these days. I do not have any fire certificates. After reading over most of these forums it seems that Air Force is the best way to go as far as firefightin is concerned. I have always thought about joining the military, think it would be a badass expericence and honor to serve this great country. Any help would be much appreciated on what you think would be my best option???

Quote Originally Posted by wffire520 View Post
    Hey everyone, i am twenty years of age. I just finished my first full year of college, taking some core classes and also getting my EMT-Basic. I am scheduled to start a Paramedic program in the fall if i get accepted. My ultimate goal is to get on a good city fire dept, i know it is EXTREMELY competitive these days. I do not have any fire certificates. After reading over most of these forums it seems that Air Force is the best way to go as far as firefightin is concerned. I have always thought about joining the military, think it would be a badass expericence and honor to serve this great country. Any help would be much appreciated on what you think would be my best option???
    I would not call joining the AirForce a "badass expericence". If you want to serve your country, then sign up. If you don't want to serve your country don't.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

If you get your paramedic, you have a huge in. I would simply continue your college Fire Tech courses and then go through the Fire Academy. You will get your certs there. Also, go volunteer at a fire department. Most volunteer companies allow firefighters the opportunity to get certs with there fire station training. If you go the Air Force route, remember it is a big commentment and not everyone gets to be a firefighter. So do not be tricked into something else.

Kev

Temporarily Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by DennisTheMenace View Post
    I would not call joining the AirForce a "badass expericence". If you want to serve your country, then sign up. If you don't want to serve your country don't.
    I was an Air force firefighter..Its definately not "bad ***" or the Marines.
    HOWEVER, It is (the military) the BEST way to become a Professional firefighter. PLUS being a VET has HUGE advantages in life.
    Personally,Id do your service to your nation. Being a Medic or EMT-I in some states is also a huge advantage.
    The Air Force IS the best branch for firefighting..100% correct statement.
    Last edited by profire1; 05-31-2007 at 03:18 PM.

Default Which path to F/F

Your on the right trail for accquiring lots of certs, Air Force Fire is the way to go. Do the shortest enlistment you can, 4 yrs i think then plan to go to medic school on your GI bill. When you get out.
    In the western US there will be a huge demand for firefighter/ paramedics. over the next 10 years. Civil governments like cities and counties give preferential points to veterans, it won't make you a shoe in but if the other fella's don't have it, that's points they wont get. good luck

join the guard and get the best of both worlds, your college and military training

MembersZone Subscriber

The schooling for civilian will take much longer and expensive, not to mention every time you apply to a Fire dept they will have you then go through their fire academy or any professional and good dept. will. That is not counting your medic program and continueing eds. all this VS
    The Military will pay for your medic course if you sign up under the AMEDD or Army, and pay bonuses for that area. But if you want firefighting sign under Engineer for fire.
    They pay training, you will get an awesome experience that civilian life can not offer.
    Talk to a recruiter ( I teach for military, I'm not a recruiter)
    If you prefer to not join army for the time frame then the National Guards is a great way to do both the options may be limited with guards.
    Both of these options though will improve your career down the line, Companies give prefernce to hire persons with Military experience.

http://www.goarmy.com/JobCatList.do?...areerindex&bl=

http://www.goarmy.com/JobDetail.do?id=137
    Last edited by sassyffmedic; 09-10-2007 at 07:27 PM. Reason: Added Link II

Default medic

There are a few federal installations that have hired medics and then trained them to get their FF1 and 2. That way you can get paid while being trained....best of both worlds. You may want to see if anyone is doing that when you get your medic.

Forum Member

If you decide to join the military, just remember ITS THE MILITARY!!!!!!
    dont sign up for the bonus money, training,etc. and then want to wimp out and cry "conscientious objector" WHEN...not if...... they deploy you somewhere.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by wffire520 View Post
    Hey man if you do decide to join AF make sure you go the airforce.com to check out the many different enlistment jobs out there. I wanted to join the AF as a firefighter too, but my recruiter was straight up with me, and explained that even if I was qualified there would still have to be a job opening for me. Fortunitaly I got my number one pick as a FF, and leave for basic Dec. 18th. If you do go AF my advice would be to let your recruiter know you'd appreciate all he could do for you in order to get the FF job (they can pull some strings) but also let him know your joining the AF in order to serve your country and find at least 2 or 3 other jobs you would be interrested in. Keep in mind even if you don't get the job in Fire protection you can still complete a FS degree (at no expense to you) as your serving your active duty. Be sure to Check out pararescue, it was my second choice and I think It could be somthing you would be interrested in too.
    Anyway, good luck with whatever you decide to do, and if you do go AF let me know when you go to basic.

later

Thread Information