MembersZone Subscriber

Default Stanley, Iowa article

Has anyone else read the article in Fire Chief magazine (May '07) about Stanley, Iowa and their use of FEPP? If not, it's definitely a good read and enlightening about the possibilities of the program for us with low funding. They've done some things would have never thought of!

Now, if we can get NEIowa to divulge some of his secrets...

We've used the program some, but not to the level these guys have. Our guys at the state level are trying to get into the fire program of FEPP (I didn't realize they weren't!), which is supposed to help us out a lot more as far as priority of equipment and such.

I just need to get a major education on how to take advantage of the program to a higher level.

Forum Member

Talking Article on Stanley FEPP use

I read the story yesterday and was thinking the same thing. Maybe we can get NEIOWA to hold a training class on how to access this program. I made a few calls to various state departments here and no-one seems to have heard about this program. Sounds like there are lots of good used surplus items out there for the asking. Just need to know how to get the system working.

MembersZone Subscriber

I think that's a major deal with our state. They're supposed to be working to get in a program, or get the program adjusted somehow, where after a certain time has elapsed, the FD can get the title to the equipment. As it is now, anything we get we have to return when we're done with it. It really takes the wind out of trying to get a truck or something and doing a bunch of work to get it to what we need.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Use FEPP

There are some additional photos on our city web site.

There is a lot of good usable FEPP equipment available. The lack of title should not deter anyone from using the program. Who cares if you own it? You get the equipment for free, you can modify in any manner you want in order to convert to fire service use, and when you wear it out or are otherwise done with it you give it back the the state forester/US forestry (minus anything you want to strip off it). And get a replacement. You just can't sell the basic unit/whatever part the forester's ID stickers are stuck on.

There is a newish program where FD can get title to the equipment. Has on advantage in that FD has a higher priority in competing for equipment. So less chance getting beat out of a particular item (very rarely has been an issue for me/us). Essentially the same program as the police have (LESO).

BUT I'm not sure overall is a smart move. The cops/LESO program has reportedly become a BIG problem for many cops and depts. MO in some big cities (who are the major LESO users) has been: obtain many many light duty vehicles (for example all the AF surplus Suburbans disappear), park them for the 2yrs required to obtain clear title from the Feds, and then sell them: the $ dollars go into the donut fund/or someone's college savings ???. Reportedly major abuse of the system and ongoing GAO investigation/charges out there. The Fire Service doesn't need to get ourselves in a similar situation. And the temptation will be there. We're poorly funded compared to the cops, pull in a little extra income playing the surplus game as a business venture in order to ______. BAD IDEA.

www.stanleyiowa.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by islandfire03 View Post
    I read the story yesterday and was thinking the same thing. Maybe we can get NEIOWA to hold a training class on how to access this program. I made a few calls to various state departments here and no-one seems to have heard about this program. Sounds like there are lots of good used surplus items out there for the asking. Just need to know how to get the system working.
    BC79er has been talking to me about doing for some time. I'm not sure exactly what that would look like though. Or who would be interested. Or if there is a way to help FD navigate the program to get equipment they need. But time is not free/cheap and that quickly runs into the problem of why we look for/use every grant/assistance program we can find.

The program is really pretty easy in concept. BUT your state forester HAS to get the required requests processed in a timely manner and then the followup accountability paperwork has to get done. Apparently most states don't fund anyone to do what is required (certainly the case in Iowa). An issue I've worked on in Iowa for 3yr. Can bring thousands or $ in free equipment home but they won't come up with $20k to fund clerical time. Much less some $ for diesel fuel and driver so can transport.

And unless you're prepared to search out the equipment you want, get request info to your forester, and then transport it home program may not work for you.

Someone with a mil background is useful including some exposure to the mil supply system, particularily if a scronger (or cheapskate) by nature. And it may take a while to find what you want.

Forum Member

I've been trying for over a year to get our state contact to return a phone call or e-mail in order to get a tow vehicle, but haven't had any luck. Yet you go to the Illinois Office of the State Fire Marshal's website and they have a huge banner posted right at the top of the page about this program. How are you supposed to get stuff if the person running the program won't work with you?

MembersZone Subscriber

Read the article when it came out. Neiowa and the Stanley F.D. should be very proud of their accomplishments with this program. Definately, thinking "outside of the box" in what they have accomplished, especially with water supply.

I've been trying for over a year to get our state contact to return a phone call or e-mail in order to get a tow vehicle, but haven't had any luck
    Unacceptable for any agency to conduct business like this. Time to move onward and upward. Go over their head to their boss.

Forum Member

i sent an e-mail off to the contact listed for our state on the fepp site last night and received a response back this AM. He directed me to our district forest ranger , who I know from playing smokey the bear at the schools for him. Maybe this will finally work out.
    NEIOWA I was a SEABEE so world class scrounger qualified!!

MembersZone Subscriber

I had a good scrounger but he was so good that he got promoted to another area and I lost him to the higher ups.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by onebugle View Post
    Read the article when it came out. Neiowa and the Stanley F.D. should be very proud of their accomplishments with this program. Definately, thinking "outside of the box" in what they have accomplished, especially with water supply.
    They should be VERY proud. I was extremely impressed with the water bladders. I'm trying to figure out if we can work something similar and if I can even track any down (if there's even any available).

I've been trying to play around on the GSA axcess site, but it's about half greek to me.

MembersZone Subscriber

The problem we have in Missouri, is our state forester says the only equipment he can get and issue is only equipment directly related to firefighting. Radios, fire flails, pumps, and trucks, that kind of thing. The program that NEIOWA is using so well allows other items, which are equally
    vital to a properly running department, as well as allows him to do his own searches and transportation, where we are not allowed to do those things.

I am hoping Missouri follows suit soon.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default FEPP is a wonderfull thing

Our department has three wildland apparatus that are FEPP rigs and a diesel powered back-up generator for our station. Our latest project (Brush #4) is a 2002 Ford F-350 with ~70,000 miles, this chassis now has a 200 gallon tank and CAFS pump on the back that was also obtained through FEPP. You wouldn't believe me if I told you our total cost to aquire this piece. As far as the title thing...who cares. For what we paid to acquire this unit combined with the fact that we can run it until the wheels fall off we have absolutely to need or desire to re-coup any costs. When we are done with it they can gladly have the thing back, of course minus the stuff we've added. We wouldn't have half the equipment we do if it weren't for FEPP.

If your curious the FEPP trucks (Brush #1, Brush #3 and Brush #4) can be viewed on our website @ www.plattevfd.com
    Rick Gustad - Chief
    Platte Volunteer Fire Department
    www.plattevfd.com

MembersZone Subscriber

CATCH 22 - You ok? Was that you? No names given.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by LVFD301 View Post
    CATCH 22 - You ok? Was that you? No names given.
    I'm fine. You talking about our injured guy, I assume? He's OK and at home, us guys not on shift that day have no idea what happened.

The title thing isn't that big of a deal to me, I just know a lot of chiefs who don't want to poor a lot of money into something that's not "theirs" if you know what I mean.

LV-- The guys at the state are supposed to be working on that other program. From the way they talked, they're waiting approval. This was about a week ago when I picked up a couple of trailer-mounted generators.

Another thing... how the hell do you guys get decent chassis for your brush trucks? The only thing MO ever gets in is mid-80's junk!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Catch22 View Post
    I'm fine. You talking about our injured guy, I assume? He's OK and at home, us guys not on shift that day have no idea what happened.

The title thing isn't that big of a deal to me, I just know a lot of chiefs who don't want to poor a lot of money into something that's not "theirs" if you know what I mean.

LV-- The guys at the state are supposed to be working on that other program. From the way they talked, they're waiting approval. This was about a week ago when I picked up a couple of trailer-mounted generators.

Another thing... how the hell do you guys get decent chassis for your brush trucks? The only thing MO ever gets in is mid-80's junk!
    Junque... Not Junk...

Hope your ff is ok.

I sure do hope they get something going - from what I see if we have to handle our own shipping and screening, it will actually end up helping the
    folks at Lebanon, less work for them than the present program.

Forum Member

Default Another Iowa FF

Thanks to NEIOWA I too have been able to reap the benefit from this program, we have acquired generators - treadmill - laptop computers. This is a great program and our contacts here in Iowa have been great. Is this heaven for IOWA? I tend to think so. Thanks Gail and Karl at Iowa State Forestery.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by onebugle View Post
    Unacceptable for any agency to conduct business like this. Time to move onward and upward. Go over their head to their boss.
    Well I gave it a couple more weeks after sending yet another e-mail and leaving a phone message and received no reply. So I forwarded all the attempted e-mails to the director and low and behold I had a return phone call within less than 24 hours.

Same old song and dance though. Not enough people in the office and they have no one to run the program but they hope to hire someone to dedicate to this program as early as the end of summer. So while the state gets it's affairs in order, the rest of the departments in Illinois suffer. Oh well. What can you do?

MembersZone Subscriber

Call them and ask if:

1.) they will "freeze" for you items/equipment needed if you provide the NSN (National Stock Number) and DTID (Disposal Turn-In Document Number). That's all the info needed in order to request transfer of an item to your state/to you (actually all that is needed is a DTID). Someone signs into FEDS enters the DTID and hits send. A 30second project.
    2.) Inform them (if you're prepared to do so) that you will make all pickup/shipping arrangements at your expense. You'll have 2 weeks to get r done.

Now the forester must followup allocation with a form letter authorizing you to pickup the equipment and they must maintain inventory accountability records, and inspect the equipment every two years. This does take a small amount of time.

Get your local state senator/representative on it. Discuss the Fire Chief article if appropriate or our website (www.stanleyiowa.com). They push them to allocate a little $ to directly support FEPP. Huge payback for a small investment. Where else can a local gov't get equipment for free.

Thread Information