1. #1
    MembersZone Subscriber
    elshortt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    18

    Default Whats with the hate?!

    Why do we (vollies) and Careers have to be fighting. I know most of us Arent in the tip top shape. I know alot of vollies are 50+ y/o. We do what we can, between training and our jobs and our family and friends. I can't stand it when these hot headed career firefighters have nothing better to do than bash us honest hard working vollies. Recently I had a female USFS forestry tech ( they arent firefighters mind you) say that vollies are nothing but a liability...... sigh. I guess its always gonna be that way. But I thought we were all on the same team. And dont get me wrong, I know alot of career ffs that are some of the coolest nicest people I know and highly respect what we do, but there are still those ones that just need to get a clue. Oh well. Thanks for listening.
    Tom W. Engineer/EMT

    9/11 Never Forget.
    "Hey Cap? Why is that cat on fire?"

  2. #2
    Temporarily Inactive

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Franklin county
    Posts
    114

    Default

    Well, First i COMPLETELY understand the USFS employees comment....However, Its my and ALOT of Professionals experience that the vast majority of vollies THINK and BELIEVE that they are "just as good" or "do the same thing" or "have the same training" as a Pro,ALL are 100% not true. A great deal of vollies do not understand just how competitive Professional fire jobs are. They have NO idea of how difficult it is to DESERVE the title Professional. It IS the MOST competitive job there is.ANYONE can join a volunteer dept and have very little accountablility. There would be MUCH less "hostility or "hatred" towards vollies if they didint have the "ME TOO" attitude. I dont like the word hatred..I dont hate anyone. I have contempt for some but no hatred. A Professional firefighter whether its L.A. city or Mansfield, Ohio. Big and small cities alike go through a LONG and mighty tough road to get thier EARNED title, Professional. Many like myself served in the Military "8" years. Others have college degrees. Either way, It aint easy getting hired and the training NEVER ends once your on.It gets mighty ridiculous listening to volunteers talk the talk but NEVER walk the walk.

  3. #3
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    SW MO
    Posts
    4,249

    Default

    In my opinion, there's two major reasons: cultural and lack of one set of standards.

    I say cultural, because it varies by region how this topic is viewed. In my area, I only know of one department that the guys in general have the negative attitude towards vollies. To say they have no grounds to say they're better is irrellevent. But, back to the point, I think you see most of the animosity in larger urban areas where the union is more prevelant (no, I'm not saying the union causes issues, but they sure don't help matters).

    I include a lack of standards because there is no single mandatory standard saying a firefighter meets xxxxx training requirements to be a firefighter. If everyone, vollie and career, had to meet the same standards, the entire "I'm higher trained because I'm career" is out the window. You don't hear doctors who make millions say the guy volunteering his time in BFE Africa that he's not a doctor because he's a volunteer. Why? Because they both went through the same crap to get the title. We don't have that in the fire service, and in my opinion it's a major factor of why we are divided.

  4. #4
    Temporarily Inactive

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Franklin county
    Posts
    114

    Default

    Whenever i think of vollies i think of two things...
    1. Banjo music from Deliverence...ALOT of that movie reminds me of vollies.
    2. The bar scene in star wars, The one with all the goofy aliens playing instruments.....PRICELESS

  5. #5
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    S.E. ohio
    Posts
    26

    Default profire1

    When ever I think of profire I think of,
    1. Some one who spent "8" in the military getting paid and still wanted extra points on the test.

    2. Some who has never stepped out of the big city, And will never understand the need or abilities of a well trained and run volunteer department.

  6. #6
    Forum Member
    ndvfdff33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Winterpeg Manitoba
    Posts
    2,461

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ncfd1864 View Post
    When ever I think of profire I think of,
    1. Some one who spent "8" in the military getting paid and still wanted extra points on the test.
    The best part is profire talks like it was a long time vet. 8 years doesn't make you a vet I'm sorry too say.



    And for your info profire, reading a few of your other brilliant postings, saying people get hired if they have military experiance or college. Maybe so in Franklin County,but in the rest of the world a vast majority get starts in the volunteer world. Funny isn't it.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

    Ryan

  7. #7
    MembersZone Subscriber
    mcaldwell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Panorama, British Columbia, Canada
    Posts
    3,022

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ncfd1864 View Post
    When ever I think of profire I think of,
    1. Some one who spent "8" in the military getting paid and still wanted extra points on the test.

    2. Some who has never stepped out of the big city, And will never understand the need or abilities of a well trained and run volunteer department.


    lol.


    I have to agree that there are not a lot of volunteers (without career experience), who can truly say they are on par, or even close to the competency of an experienced Big City Career Firefighter. Mostly because they don't have the countless fires and rescue runs to temper their training.

    However, many of the Big City Career guys fail to realize that there are thousands of small town Career Firefighters out there that are at or barely a step above a well trained and experienced Volley. You can't say Career means Chicago, or NY, or LA, because it can also mean some little podunk town with 5000 people and a good tax base.

    Not to mention, a Chicago/NY/LA Rookie is still a rookie. Maybe with a month or two of quality training, but many many volunteers can claim that level of competency, and far more experience. And depending on where they are placed, and the runs they get, it may take years for those Rookies to gain the experience and advanced training that makes them one of the elite.

    Even the best volleys are hard to compare with a good experienced big city FF from a busy house. It really is apples to oranges. But the fact is, those Elite Career FF's are a small percentage of the entire Fire Service.

    The Fire Service is a spectrum, and there are extremes to that spectrum. It is hard for a volley to reach the high end of it, and it takes a real dumbass career guy to fall to the bottom of it. The middle ground however, can be a very grey area indeed.
    Last edited by mcaldwell; 05-31-2007 at 12:25 AM.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

    IACOJ

  8. #8
    Temporarily Inactive

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Franklin county
    Posts
    114

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ndvfdff33 View Post
    The best part is profire talks like it was a long time vet. 8 years doesn't make you a vet I'm sorry too say.



    And for your info profire, reading a few of your other brilliant postings, saying people get hired if they have military experiance or college. Maybe so in Franklin County,but in the rest of the world a vast majority get starts in the volunteer world. Funny isn't it.
    You couldnt be sooo WRONG. The WORST thing that one could have been in trying to become a professional firefighter is a vollie.
    Also, So 8 years in the Military and one in a war zone does NOT make you a vet? Actually just being honorably discharged after 2 years service IS considered a vet. Not sure what your definition is?

  9. #9
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    207

    Default

    You know what, I would agree that there are vollies that do not or never will have the same level of training as the paid folks have. However, there are and always will be vollies that have more training than the paid folks also.

    I have been in this business since 1972 and I have had the experience of witnessing both. But in our areas the paid folks work right along the vollies when the need arises and there is no bad feelings towards each other.

    As far as big cities and small towns go, you can bet your ***** that firefighters can and do loose their lives in each area doing what they love to do and that is to help people in their time of need, regardless if they are doing it for a career or to help a neighbor.

    Yea, there are vollies that brag that they are the baddest thing there is in the fire service and they probably have no justification to make that statement, and yea, the same goes for you profire. Thanks for serving the country, most that have a couple of decades in either level have done so also, and guess what, there are more and more vollies getting degrees in fire service areas. How about that.

    I have been to several off site training classes or conferences that have had paid and volley instructors teaching at these events. Damn if I could tell the difference of who was what during their lectures and HOT training programs.

    Most vollies will never state that they are as good as a paid person. But we will say that we are trying to do the same thing. How we get there may be somewhat different in some eyes, but the job does not become any less dangerous, nor does it become easier because the truck pulling up says V.F.D. .

    No, not just anyone can join all volunteer department either. In most departments there is a process that has been developed to ensure we do what is needed to get the best people and to ensure background checks and reference checks are completed.

    Dude, I have been walking the walk for over 32 years and you or no paid person can take the lives that I have saved through the years away, nor can you take the great stops away from the crews that I have had the honor of working with, nor will troll's like you ever understand a persons desire to help another just because they want to help a neighbor or friend in need.

    So I guess that being professional like you profire allows you to ridicule those so called non profesionals like me because I do not have a union card nor am I getting paid in a monetary amount.

    Shame that some department in Franklin County would hire such a person after their intense background checks, I guess that even the big city like yours lets trolls slip by. Hell, I have some really good friends in the Columbus, Truro Twp., Whitehall, and Washington Twp., tell me where your'e from and maybe my friends would know you!

    Oh That's my bad. Paid folks and Vollies are not supposed to be friends, right profire.

    STILL STANDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  10. #10
    Temporarily Inactive

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Franklin county
    Posts
    114

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by orangebuster View Post
    You know what, I would agree that there are vollies that do not or never will have the same level of training as the paid folks have. However, there are and always will be vollies that have more training than the paid folks also.

    I have been in this business since 1972 and I have had the experience of witnessing both. But in our areas the paid folks work right along the vollies when the need arises and there is no bad feelings towards each other.

    As far as big cities and small towns go, you can bet your ***** that firefighters can and do loose their lives in each area doing what they love to do and that is to help people in their time of need, regardless if they are doing it for a career or to help a neighbor.

    Yea, there are vollies that brag that they are the baddest thing there is in the fire service and they probably have no justification to make that statement, and yea, the same goes for you profire. Thanks for serving the country, most that have a couple of decades in either level have done so also, and guess what, there are more and more vollies getting degrees in fire service areas. How about that.

    I have been to several off site training classes or conferences that have had paid and volley instructors teaching at these events. Damn if I could tell the difference of who was what during their lectures and HOT training programs.

    Most vollies will never state that they are as good as a paid person. But we will say that we are trying to do the same thing. How we get there may be somewhat different in some eyes, but the job does not become any less dangerous, nor does it become easier because the truck pulling up says V.F.D. .

    No, not just anyone can join all volunteer department either. In most departments there is a process that has been developed to ensure we do what is needed to get the best people and to ensure background checks and reference checks are completed.

    Dude, I have been walking the walk for over 32 years and you or no paid person can take the lives that I have saved through the years away, nor can you take the great stops away from the crews that I have had the honor of working with, nor will troll's like you ever understand a persons desire to help another just because they want to help a neighbor or friend in need.

    So I guess that being professional like you profire allows you to ridicule those so called non profesionals like me because I do not have a union card nor am I getting paid in a monetary amount.

    Shame that some department in Franklin County would hire such a person after their intense background checks, I guess that even the big city like yours lets trolls slip by. Hell, I have some really good friends in the Columbus, Truro Twp., Whitehall, and Washington Twp., tell me where your'e from and maybe my friends would know you!

    Oh That's my bad. Paid folks and Vollies are not supposed to be friends, right profire.

    STILL STANDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Actually i am NO fan of the iaff. As for my "background" check....My past is like "GOLD" to ANY Police/Fire job.

  11. #11
    Temporarily Inactive

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Franklin county
    Posts
    114

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by orangebuster View Post
    You know what, I would agree that there are vollies that do not or never will have the same level of training as the paid folks have. However, there are and always will be vollies that have more training than the paid folks also.

    I have been in this business since 1972 and I have had the experience of witnessing both. But in our areas the paid folks work right along the vollies when the need arises and there is no bad feelings towards each other.

    As far as big cities and small towns go, you can bet your ***** that firefighters can and do loose their lives in each area doing what they love to do and that is to help people in their time of need, regardless if they are doing it for a career or to help a neighbor.

    Yea, there are vollies that brag that they are the baddest thing there is in the fire service and they probably have no justification to make that statement, and yea, the same goes for you profire. Thanks for serving the country, most that have a couple of decades in either level have done so also, and guess what, there are more and more vollies getting degrees in fire service areas. How about that.

    I have been to several off site training classes or conferences that have had paid and volley instructors teaching at these events. Damn if I could tell the difference of who was what during their lectures and HOT training programs.

    Most vollies will never state that they are as good as a paid person. But we will say that we are trying to do the same thing. How we get there may be somewhat different in some eyes, but the job does not become any less dangerous, nor does it become easier because the truck pulling up says V.F.D. .

    No, not just anyone can join all volunteer department either. In most departments there is a process that has been developed to ensure we do what is needed to get the best people and to ensure background checks and reference checks are completed.

    Dude, I have been walking the walk for over 32 years and you or no paid person can take the lives that I have saved through the years away, nor can you take the great stops away from the crews that I have had the honor of working with, nor will troll's like you ever understand a persons desire to help another just because they want to help a neighbor or friend in need.

    So I guess that being professional like you profire allows you to ridicule those so called non profesionals like me because I do not have a union card nor am I getting paid in a monetary amount.

    Shame that some department in Franklin County would hire such a person after their intense background checks, I guess that even the big city like yours lets trolls slip by. Hell, I have some really good friends in the Columbus, Truro Twp., Whitehall, and Washington Twp., tell me where your'e from and maybe my friends would know you!

    Oh That's my bad. Paid folks and Vollies are not supposed to be friends, right profire.

    STILL STANDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Oh, and another thing...Let me get my violin and kleenex. Jeez, That was absolute Poppycock.

  12. #12
    MembersZone Subscriber
    KevinFFVFD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Vicksburg, Mississippi, USA
    Posts
    573

    Default

    There are several volunteer fire departments across the country that is just as good as or better than some career departments I know of. I know what its like to be on both sides of the fence. I grew up in the "career" fire world with my father and grandfather both being career firefighters and me always hanging out with the career guys. Hell, I just got back last weekend from my uncles retirement party where he retired after 31 years as a career firefighter. And now I am a volunteer but I am working towards becoming a career firefighter soon. So I know whatís its like for career and volunteers.

    We have this problem where I am. Some career guys canít stand us. They think itís wrong that a volunteer firefighter can join a volunteer fire department and from day one get gear and a radio and be fighting fires the next day and call themselves "firefighters". And I do agree that it is wrong for that to happen. How can you trust someone like that? They think itís wrong because they had to literally fight to EARN the title firefighter in there department and had to FIGHT through training and testing to get to where they are whereas a volunteer can "do the same thing" with none of the training or time, and I can honestly see where the hostility comes from. But I do think it is wrong for career firefighters to think that ALL volunteers are this way because thatís not true. As I said before, there are several volunteer departments who are just as professional and just as trained as career guys. and to judge a firefighter just because he has "volunteer" in his title or to judge a department just because they have "volunteer" in their name is wrong.

  13. #13
    MembersZone Subscriber
    elshortt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    18

    Default

    Come on guys, Dont get probitch all worked up. We all know she doesnt like volunteers, even though we out number career firefighters, but yet....she keeps coming to the volunteer forums... Like were going to envy her. NOBODY CARES ABOUT WHAT YOU THINK!!! I should have just put in the title of this thread, "profire, no need to comment." People like that are the reason there is so much fighting between the careers and the vollies. She doesnt know what its like in the real world. Where we are fighting the same fires with less people, older engines, and so on. We cant (at least where I work) just count on there being a second in engine to a multi-dwelling fire, with fire hydrents every 100'. It must be nice. Now for you sick bastards ( saying this with the HIGHEST RESPECT!) that do both, my hat is off to you. You know what we vollies go through. How tough it is. As for her saying she professional, so are we. There is no such thing as an amature firefighter in my book. We all do the same thing, there for the same reason. To help others....

    As one great Chief once said.."It doesnt matter if your career or volunteer, we all fight to protect other lives the same. And we all die the same."
    So go ahead and say what your gonna say, but nobody but you and your ego are gonna care.


    -Tom
    Engineer/EMT
    Weaverville Fire District
    (Volunteer)
    Trinity County Life Support
    (Paid)
    Tom W. Engineer/EMT

    9/11 Never Forget.
    "Hey Cap? Why is that cat on fire?"

  14. #14
    Chuck
    medic673's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Mary Esther, FL
    Posts
    10

    Default

    4 years in the military "1 year of that it "iraq/kuwait" 1st gulf war.
    12 years now professional fire..Yep, You bet i earned it.

    "Many like myself served in the Military "8" years."

    This is what Profire posted in the Career forums. Not sure what the quotes mean, maybe just a way to say I am lying. Who knows.

    Seems there is no truth to what she/he says. This is just another way to get things spun up. Don't fall into the trap, just let it go. This is a no win scenario.

    Remember 9/11, Let us not forget!!

  15. #15
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    207

    Default

    Right! But as I Said, I walk the walk, and deservingly so. Now what!

    STILL STANDING!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by orangebuster; 05-31-2007 at 04:07 AM.

  16. #16
    Forum Member
    ndvfdff33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Winterpeg Manitoba
    Posts
    2,461

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by profire1 View Post
    You couldnt be sooo WRONG. The WORST thing that one could have been in trying to become a professional firefighter is a vollie.
    Also, So 8 years in the Military and one in a war zone does NOT make you a vet? Actually just being honorably discharged after 2 years service IS considered a vet. Not sure what your definition is?
    Of course I'm wrong. I'm not saying how things are done in Franklin County. So yes like I said maybe in your neck of the woulds you get all seasoned military vets like yourself or college folks, but in my area and many others, A lot get their starts in volunteer world. I know your going to have a tough time swallowing that but get over it sunshine.


    You still didn't answer why you got out. Just gave me useless babble. I don't care you spent a year in a war zone, I still wouldn't consider you a vet.
    I'm sure it wasn't the whole reasoning behind your getting hired. Why would someone hire you solely based on the fact you were military?? I know I wouldn't.

    What branch were you anyways?? Air,Army???
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

    Ryan

  17. #17
    MembersZone Subscriber
    XRaysJL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Red Lake (Outside of Williams), AZ. USA
    Posts
    200

    Arrow career and vollies

    Quote Originally Posted by profire1 View Post
    They have NO idea of how difficult it is to DESERVE the title Professional.
    Quote Originally Posted by profire1 View Post
    A Professional firefighter whether its L.A. city or Mansfield, Ohio. Big and small cities alike go through a LONG and mighty tough road to get thier EARNED title, Professional. Many like myself served in the Military "8" years. Others have college degrees.
    As I have said before: "Proffesional" is not a earned title. It's how one acts. I think there are those (I wount mention names) who think they are a professional but they act far from it. I have seen volunteer firefighters act more professional then some paid firefighters.

    Quote Originally Posted by profire1 View Post
    ANYONE can join a volunteer dept and have very little accountablility.
    $!^% can hit the fan just as quick with volunteer departments as career. The difference is that the career departments have more resources for this area then volunteer depts..

    Quote Originally Posted by profire1 View Post
    There would be MUCH less "hostility or "hatred" towards vollies if they didint have the "ME TOO" attitude.
    This part here goes both ways. Most career (Notice I didn't say "Proffesional"?) firefighters including some that like to come here have a lack of understanding what it takes to run a volunteer dept. If these people spent time with a vollie dept. they will see how volunteers sometimes need to go above and beyond what their duty would be as compared to a career dept. Volunteers sometimes need to think outside the box to get things done. How many career departments can say that? (Honest question here)

    Quote Originally Posted by profire1 View Post
    I dont like the word hatred..I dont hate anyone. I have contempt for some but no hatred.
    Judging by previous posts you have "Contempt" for the entire volunteer field.

    Quote Originally Posted by profire1 View Post
    It aint easy getting hired and the training NEVER ends once your on.
    Training NEVER stops with a volunteer department either.

    Quote Originally Posted by profire1 View Post
    It gets mighty ridiculous listening to volunteers talk the talk but NEVER walk the walk.
    This can be said about some career firefighters also.

    Now having said all that let me say this:
    I have seen some new volunteer firefighters get the BIG ego and act like they are king s*!^. This is an embarresment to all volunteers. The same goes for career firefighters as well when it comes to new people (Or those with little experience).

  18. #18
    MembersZone Subscriber
    WaterbryVTfire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    547

    Default

    Some good posts for both sides....anyway I am a paid call firefighter. Luckily I work and live less then a mile from the station so I miss very few calls. Anyway, my small town POC dept., responds to approx. 300 (no EMS) calls a year. I personally hit 200-250 out of the 300 (out of town, stuck in meeting kind of things for missed calls.) and it could possibly be more. That roughly works out to a call every other day or so.

    So, lets say an average "fulltimer" works a 24 on 48 off. That comes out to roughly 10 days a month? And mutiply that by 12 months thats working 120 days a year. Now we all know we don't catch a worker everyday. (Maybe in the BIG depts., live LA, Chicago, FDNY you will). Its the smells and bells, minor crashes, etc..so even at 2 calls a day it still works out to be 240 responses a year.
    And of those how many area a no nothing/routine calls?


    To get my dept., there is an insterview and application process. The interview board actually will and have turned away people that couldn't "pass" the interview process. We must obtain and maintain IFSTA/Proboard Firefighter level 1. (I have FF2 and FESI 1). Plus, attend other non departmental trainings.
    We put in over 3000 man hours of training as a dept., last year. We have a newer member that is a retired Dep. Chief from one of the largest "pro" depts on the east coast. He states he can't believe the amount of training we do, and how dedicated we are, for even a simple building alarm at 3AM. As a vollie, we have to be ready for any type of emergency, we don't have a dedicated truck company or engine or rescue, hazmat team etc...

    Basically, yeah no doubt that FDNY, Chi-town, LA can walk & talk the I am a Pro walk. But, small/medium city depts that run majority EMS? Nope, sorry. You really are no better than me and my depts., members when it comes to you call responses and training.

    So, get over yourself. I am a professional I just don't get paid as much as you to do the same job!!! And guess what? I don't think the next person you pull from a burning building or wrecked car could give a sh*t if you are "pro", white, black, polka dotted, fat, skinny, woman, man, gay, straight etc...

    they are just happy to have you there..
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."
    ********

    IACOJ

    ********

    "Criticism is prejudice made plausible."
    - H. L. Mencken (1880-1956)

  19. #19
    Temporarily Inactive

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Franklin county
    Posts
    114

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by firefighter6973 View Post
    4 years in the military "1 year of that it "iraq/kuwait" 1st gulf war.
    12 years now professional fire..Yep, You bet i earned it.

    "Many like myself served in the Military "8" years."

    This is what Profire posted in the Career forums. Not sure what the quotes mean, maybe just a way to say I am lying. Who knows.

    Seems there is no truth to what she/he says. This is just another way to get things spun up. Don't fall into the trap, just let it go. This is a no win scenario.

    Remember 9/11, Let us not forget!!
    I will clarify my "military service" 4 years active duty...4 years in the Ohio Air National Guard. Thats a total of 8. ALL of which i can use towards my retirement. While i was on active duty i served in Iraq/Kuwait for 1 year.
    That should be simple to understand.

  20. #20
    Temporarily Inactive

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Franklin county
    Posts
    114

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ndvfdff33 View Post
    Of course I'm wrong. I'm not saying how things are done in Franklin County. So yes like I said maybe in your neck of the woulds you get all seasoned military vets like yourself or college folks, but in my area and many others, A lot get their starts in volunteer world. I know your going to have a tough time swallowing that but get over it sunshine.


    You still didn't answer why you got out. Just gave me useless babble. I don't care you spent a year in a war zone, I still wouldn't consider you a vet.
    I'm sure it wasn't the whole reasoning behind your getting hired. Why would someone hire you solely based on the fact you were military?? I know I wouldn't.

    What branch were you anyways?? Air,Army???
    Air Force...and YES i did state why i got out in another post. I knew that i would become a professional firefighter if i worked at it long enough. I did my time in the military, I wanted to goto a City Dept.
    Also, If 2 years or 8 years or whatever is NOT enough for YOU to consider someone a Veteran than YOU do not know the meaning of the word.
    That is to be expected though...You clearly do NOT know the meaning of the word..Professional. You just like to use the term to make you feel important or wanted. You or NO other vollie earned the right to be called a Professional.
    None of you have "Paid the toll".
    Last edited by profire1; 05-31-2007 at 01:47 PM.

  21. #21
    Temporarily Inactive

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Franklin county
    Posts
    114

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WaterbryVTfire View Post
    Some good posts for both sides....anyway I am a paid call firefighter. Luckily I work and live less then a mile from the station so I miss very few calls. Anyway, my small town POC dept., responds to approx. 300 (no EMS) calls a year. I personally hit 200-250 out of the 300 (out of town, stuck in meeting kind of things for missed calls.) and it could possibly be more. That roughly works out to a call every other day or so.

    So, lets say an average "fulltimer" works a 24 on 48 off. That comes out to roughly 10 days a month? And mutiply that by 12 months thats working 120 days a year. Now we all know we don't catch a worker everyday. (Maybe in the BIG depts., live LA, Chicago, FDNY you will). Its the smells and bells, minor crashes, etc..so even at 2 calls a day it still works out to be 240 responses a year.
    And of those how many area a no nothing/routine calls?


    To get my dept., there is an insterview and application process. The interview board actually will and have turned away people that couldn't "pass" the interview process. We must obtain and maintain IFSTA/Proboard Firefighter level 1. (I have FF2 and FESI 1). Plus, attend other non departmental trainings.
    We put in over 3000 man hours of training as a dept., last year. We have a newer member that is a retired Dep. Chief from one of the largest "pro" depts on the east coast. He states he can't believe the amount of training we do, and how dedicated we are, for even a simple building alarm at 3AM. As a vollie, we have to be ready for any type of emergency, we don't have a dedicated truck company or engine or rescue, hazmat team etc...

    Basically, yeah no doubt that FDNY, Chi-town, LA can walk & talk the I am a Pro walk. But, small/medium city depts that run majority EMS? Nope, sorry. You really are no better than me and my depts., members when it comes to you call responses and training.

    So, get over yourself. I am a professional I just don't get paid as much as you to do the same job!!! And guess what? I don't think the next person you pull from a burning building or wrecked car could give a sh*t if you are "pro", white, black, polka dotted, fat, skinny, woman, man, gay, straight etc...

    they are just happy to have you there..
    This is the reason vollies get no respect....Paid Call..same thing.
    You have NO idea...I hate to use the word but you are a wanna be.

  22. #22
    Temporarily Inactive

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Franklin county
    Posts
    114

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WaterbryVTfire View Post
    Some good posts for both sides....anyway I am a paid call firefighter. Luckily I work and live less then a mile from the station so I miss very few calls. Anyway, my small town POC dept., responds to approx. 300 (no EMS) calls a year. I personally hit 200-250 out of the 300 (out of town, stuck in meeting kind of things for missed calls.) and it could possibly be more. That roughly works out to a call every other day or so.

    So, lets say an average "fulltimer" works a 24 on 48 off. That comes out to roughly 10 days a month? And mutiply that by 12 months thats working 120 days a year. Now we all know we don't catch a worker everyday. (Maybe in the BIG depts., live LA, Chicago, FDNY you will). Its the smells and bells, minor crashes, etc..so even at 2 calls a day it still works out to be 240 responses a year.
    And of those how many area a no nothing/routine calls?


    To get my dept., there is an insterview and application process. The interview board actually will and have turned away people that couldn't "pass" the interview process. We must obtain and maintain IFSTA/Proboard Firefighter level 1. (I have FF2 and FESI 1). Plus, attend other non departmental trainings.
    We put in over 3000 man hours of training as a dept., last year. We have a newer member that is a retired Dep. Chief from one of the largest "pro" depts on the east coast. He states he can't believe the amount of training we do, and how dedicated we are, for even a simple building alarm at 3AM. As a vollie, we have to be ready for any type of emergency, we don't have a dedicated truck company or engine or rescue, hazmat team etc...

    Basically, yeah no doubt that FDNY, Chi-town, LA can walk & talk the I am a Pro walk. But, small/medium city depts that run majority EMS? Nope, sorry. You really are no better than me and my depts., members when it comes to you call responses and training.

    So, get over yourself. I am a professional I just don't get paid as much as you to do the same job!!! And guess what? I don't think the next person you pull from a burning building or wrecked car could give a sh*t if you are "pro", white, black, polka dotted, fat, skinny, woman, man, gay, straight etc...

    they are just happy to have you there..
    Completely incorrect. EVERY time there is a serious EMS run or non serious more and more these days, The vollies call us for mutual aid. Trust me the victims DO care who is helping them. Ive seen 20 vollies on a scene that are capable of NOTHING but a cluster ^&*($. Anytime something serious or "too much"..We get called...Talk about responsibility.
    You have gone to great strides to "justify" your status..You failed.

  23. #23
    MembersZone Subscriber
    WaterbryVTfire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    547

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by profire1 View Post
    This is the reason vollies get no respect....Paid Call..same thing.
    You have NO idea...I hate to use the word but you are a wanna be.
    I have no idea about what? Please tell me, I'd like to become a better AHEM firefighter with your guidance! And obviously superior mind frame!!

    You seem to take the little parts of a much broader story and use them to slam the vollies. Remeber Ben Franklin was "just a vollie".
    Last edited by WaterbryVTfire; 05-31-2007 at 01:58 PM.
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."
    ********

    IACOJ

    ********

    "Criticism is prejudice made plausible."
    - H. L. Mencken (1880-1956)

  24. #24
    CFSI/CFSII/CFEI
    sepalmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Napoleon, Ohio USA
    Posts
    67

    Angry My two cents

    So Profire1 you say you do not hate anyone. I think you used the word contempt.

    contempt
    One entry found for contempt.


    Main Entry: con∑tempt
    Pronunciation: k&n-'tem(p)t
    Function: noun
    Etymology: Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Latin contemptus, from contemnere
    1 a : the act of despising : the state of mind of one who despises : DISDAIN b : lack of respect or reverence for something
    2 : the state of being despised
    3 : willful disobedience to or open disrespect of a court, judge, or legislative body

    Seems awful close to hate to me. And by reading your post I feel it is fair to say that you feel volunteer are not even deserving of the title firefighter. So lets see if we can solve YOUR problem.

    First we will disband all none "pro" departments.Second we will take all the volunteers off the LODD list and erase the names from the fallen firefighter memorial and ask the families for any compensation they received be returned and remove the work volunteer from the vocabulary.

    I understand you were in the military also, so I guess you have contempt for the national guard also because they are not Professional military
    so I guess all the one that have died need to be removed from Arlington National Cemetery because they do not rate to be there.

    I hope this will solve you problem or maybe not it might be something deeper. mommy and daddy not give you enough hugs?

    TO ALL OTHER MEMBERS: I am sorry for this outburst, but attitudes like profire1 is a sickness that gets people killed and stops any forward progress of our profession

  25. #25
    Temporarily Inactive

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Franklin county
    Posts
    114

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sepalmer View Post
    So Profire1 you say you do not hate anyone. I think you used the word contempt.

    contempt
    One entry found for contempt.


    Main Entry: con∑tempt
    Pronunciation: k&n-'tem(p)t
    Function: noun
    Etymology: Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Latin contemptus, from contemnere
    1 a : the act of despising : the state of mind of one who despises : DISDAIN b : lack of respect or reverence for something
    2 : the state of being despised
    3 : willful disobedience to or open disrespect of a court, judge, or legislative body

    Seems awful close to hate to me. And by reading your post I feel it is fair to say that you feel volunteer are not even deserving of the title firefighter. So lets see if we can solve YOUR problem.

    First we will disband all none "pro" departments.Second we will take all the volunteers off the LODD list and erase the names from the fallen firefighter memorial and ask the families for any compensation they received be returned and remove the work volunteer from the vocabulary.

    I understand you were in the military also, so I guess you have contempt for the national guard also because they are not Professional military
    so I guess all the one that have died need to be removed from Arlington National Cemetery because they do not rate to be there.

    I hope this will solve you problem or maybe not it might be something deeper. mommy and daddy not give you enough hugs?

    TO ALL OTHER MEMBERS: I am sorry for this outburst, but attitudes like profire1 is a sickness that gets people killed and stops any forward progress of our profession
    volunteer=HOBBY Profession= Us

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Florida Arson is Hate Crime
    By captstanm1 in forum Fire Investigation
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-07-2005, 11:06 PM
  2. Things I hate
    By firefiftyfive in forum The Off Duty Forums
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 02-14-2004, 12:07 PM
  3. Hate is a strong word... but this constitutes it
    By rfcmitch in forum Fire Explorer & Jr. Firefighting
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 04-07-2002, 05:21 AM
  4. Dont You Just Hate.....
    By Daniel Joubert in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-02-2002, 01:53 PM
  5. Why do you hate Emergency One's ???
    By TM in forum Meet and Greet
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 12-14-2000, 04:52 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register