Forum Member

Arrow Minitor II only receives when on charger?

Anyone have a clue why a Minitor II would only receive when it is placed in charger. when its out of the charger, it will not pick up anything.

crystal clear on the charger though,,,, not very handy for being out and about,, LOL

Tom

Forum Member

Does the charger have an external antenna attached?

Or, are the batteries completely dead so that when you pull it out of the charger it's not powered?

Andy

Forum Member

Hey Andy,

Thank for taking time to reply.

To answer , no,, its a standard charger, with only two pins, one and two, which are one = + and two = ground.

Its this ground pin that is key to this, if i cover the + key and set it on there it is ok, if i cover the Ground key then it still dont work.

The batteries are new. and when off the charger, if i push the reset/clear button. then it does squelch. beeps when turned on.

it is something to do with the ground pin. only works when that ground pin is making contact on charger.

Regards
    Tom

Forum Member

Motorola stated,, of course, that a Min II,,, is no longer supported,, because of age. But they also stated, that,, they can only think of two reasons that would happen. One,, was that the charger was one that had the AMP and external antenna, but that has to be ruled out as this is standard charger, with only two contact pins, + and - . Two,, that, " the pager might be having physical pressure that allows it to page under those circumstances but not normally. " it is this one that I do not understand.

Any one have any thoughts on there statement?

Regards
    Tom

Forum Member

This is definitely a weird one. If it was an amplifier charger, there would be several things to look at but this is obviously not the case.

Unfortunately, my only suggestion is along the lines of what Motorola told you. Perhaps the internal antenna has a broken solder connection. When it is in the charger, something is getting squeezed and it makes contact again. Best thing I can suggest at this point.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Answer

We had a similar problem and a contact was bed within the pager itself that was forced together by the charger. A tiny drop of solder by the radio shop and problem was resolved.

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Shamu2,
    Looks like you may have had the million dollar answer.
    Thanks for the info, I opened it up once again, searched it over,, used an ohms meter, found a week contact point, and touched it with solder gun, looks like that may have taken care of it. it is working for the current moment,,, i'll find out come morning when i wake up excited,,, thats when i find my previous nite fixes went wrong,, LOL so thats when the real test will be.
    but as of now, it is receiving again,

Thanks to you all for input and advise.

Regards
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Shamu2 View Post
    We had a similar problem and a contact was bed within the pager itself that was forced together by the charger. A tiny drop of solder by the radio shop and problem was resolved.

Forum Member

Glad you found the problem, now...take really good care of that thing! Best pagers Moto has ever made, and judging by the lack of quality of their subsequent and current offerings, ever will make. You simply cannot compare the performance of a crystal/filter controlled MII with a newer synthesized unit designed to operate on a wide range of frequencies and tones. A well tuned one will always outperform the new stuff, no matter how "sensitive" they try to tweak them. Hell, I've even seen MI's outperform MIV's.

Forum Member

OH, I forgot to update,, I was right,, when i got up the next morning, it didnt work, and i figure out why it did work the night b4,, another pager was sitting on the desk within about a foot, the pager that is being worked on,, works with that pager within a foot of it, but drops back out when u move it off. i have narrowed down where the problem is though. if i use the good pager,, and take the smaller board off the front. and replace the other one, then the problem changes pagers, so, it can all be narrowed down to that front board. the smaller of the two that make up the pager. I dont know enough bout them to know what that front one is called or what it does. but that is where my problem is.

Thanks for all the info and direction,, sooner or later i'll figure out what is wrong with this one, or get tired of it and scrap up the money to send it to shop.

Thanks again
    Tom

Forum Member

The smaller board under the speaker is the RF board, which contains the frequency crystal(s) (the bigger main board is the Decoder/Audio board). If the pager is having trouble receiving with that one particular RF board, it most likely needs to be realigned/retuned, or there's a problem with the antenna contacts on it. Unfortunately, it's not something you can do without the proper equipment, so you'll have to send it to the shop. Shouldn't cost that much to do. If you don't have a local place to send it, you should contact Gerry at G&G Communications, he'll take care of you.

http://www.gandgcommunications.com

By the way, the reason the pager receives better in the charger is because it's basically using the charger and power cord as an antenna. These pagers are designed to use the body as an antenna (they will actually pick up better on your hip than laying on a desk). That's why there's a big metal plate over the back of the Decoder board, which is right against your body. It doesn't really matter if the charger has an external antenna or not, it's still going to act like an antenna somewhat when the pager is grounded in it, especially low band model pagers.
    Last edited by Chauffer6; 06-15-2007 at 12:01 PM.

Forum Member

Chauffer6

Thanks for the info,,, very much appreciated.

I have done business with Gerry before and am in the process of having him re-crystal some other pagers, so he'll get this one too,,, then he can just tune it up while he's got it.

Thanks again for the info.

Regards
    Tom

Thread Information