Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber KevinFFVFD's Avatar

Question Goggles for helmet (really need advice)...

Hey everyone. This question has several parts to it. I really do need advice for this because I donít know much about goggles for eye protection.

It was brought up in our last training about eye protection and how our shields on our helmets are not sufficient eye protection. Our department took note of it, but more than likely the department will not spend the money to buy us all goggles, so I want to go ahead and buy my own.

We use Bullard fire helmetsÖ
    http://www.thefirestore.com/store/pr..._4_faceshield/

We have the face shields attached to our helmets as seen in the link above.

Question 1:
    Would it be possible to put both goggles and face shield on one helmet or would it have to be one or the other? Another words, could I mount both on my helmet?

Question 2:
    If it is not possible to mount both then would I just have to carry them in a pocket? If so how could I protect the goggles from breaking from pressures like if I keep them in my turnout pants pocket.

Question 3:
    I went online to look for goggles I would like to buy and there are several to choose from. Which goggles would be the best choice? http://www.thefirestore.com/store/ca...ye_protection/

Thanks everyone. Stay safe out there.

I personally cannot stand goggles. I hate them with a passion. The damn things are always fogging and I can't see sh**. I would much rather prefer a pair of safety glasses. I for one like yellow or amber tinted safety glasses. I have a yellow pair and a clear pair in my turnouts. They are cheap, easily replaceable, and do not fog up.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

MembersZone Subscriber

I wore goggles for a long time and I would still have them on my helmet if I didnít get a 1044 defender. I would recommend any of the ESS goggles they are top of the line. The best ones for you I would think b/c of the way I understand it, you pretty much only want them for extrication and not so much firefighting b/c of the shields on your helmet. I would get these.
    http://www.thefirestore.com/store/pr...goggle_system/
    Now the only problem with these is if you wear them into any kind of hot fire the straps will melt and they will not hold up. They are made for exterior operations only but they are about 15- 20$ less and snap on and off in like two seconds when I had mine I kept them in my coat pocket and if we were going on any type of MVA I put them on. Now the other ones are made to go into fires but will smoke up over time so if you go with the other ones. I would go with these
    http://www.thefirestore.com/store/pr...ting_brackets/
    But with these get the sleeve made of nomex to put over it but this also makes it 20$ more. So look at both styles and figure out which one works best for you. The cheaper ones worked for me for a long time one b/c I never wore them in fires and you donít need them in fires any way you have your face peace and in your case a 4in shield. I used mine with Bourks. Good luck let me know if you have any more questions about them.

Forum Member

We issue safety glasses to all of our members that have shields. If you use the ESS goggles, that is the other choice on our dept, we use crown royla bags for storage. Just go to your local bars and ask for the bags. They will be happy to save them for your guys to use. They are soft and will not scratch your goggles while in your gear. Do not leave them on your helmet when making interior entries, the lenses will melt immediately.
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

Safety glasses from Home Depot, less than $10. They are in my left pants pocket for when I need them.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

I'm not a goggle fan either. I Keep a pair of safety glasses in a hard case glasses case that I picked up at a dollar store in my gear.

MembersZone Subscriber

We were useing ESS gogles but have been switching to Revision Desert Locast. we can pick lense style amber, clear, or tinted and they don't fog up when its hot out

MembersZone Subscriber fireslayer1237's Avatar

we have ess goggles that came with our paul conways. They are pretty nice no complaints from me on them. I took them off though and put them in my mask bag that way if I need them I got em I just didn't want them hanging on my helmet gettin scratched up and smoked over so I couldn't see out of them.
    FOOLS
    RFB-KTF-DTRT

Good thing's happening

see i know this is going to be a bit off-topic but the way my department does it is you get the bullard style helmet (idk if its the exact helmet but looks the same) as a probie and then you get the FDNY Stlye helmet(probably not the exact correct wording i just used it because iam from NYC) after your 6 months again i know its off topic but the bullard helmet made me think and put this in here

Quote Originally Posted by FireRescue43 View Post
    I'm not a goggle fan either. I Keep a pair of safety glasses in a hard case glasses case that I picked up at a dollar store in my gear.
    I would check and make sure that the Dollar Store glasses are ANSI Z87.1 certified. If they don't say so, then they arent. For a few dollars more you can buy a pair of ANSI certified glasses that are guaranteed not to shatter if something hits them with enough force. Hell you may even be able to get some donated. The dollar store ones are probably for extremely low velocity particles and splashes. Your eyesight is a big risk to gamble on a pair of cheap safety glasses, I would spend the few extra george washingtons and get a pair of certified ones.
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Quote Originally Posted by RFRDxplorer View Post
    I would check and make sure that the Dollar Store glasses are ANSI Z87.1 certified. If they don't say so, then they arent. For a few dollars more you can buy a pair of ANSI certified glasses that are guaranteed not to shatter if something hits them with enough force. Hell you may even be able to get some donated. The dollar store ones are probably for extremely low velocity particles and splashes. Your eyesight is a big risk to gamble on a pair of cheap safety glasses, I would spend the few extra george washingtons and get a pair of certified ones.
    I hit dollar store safety glasses with a spring loaded window punch, went right through, same thing with regular glasses, didn't even leave a mark!

Quote Originally Posted by RFRDxplorer View Post
    You also might want to check the packaging they came in. I bought a new pair of Oakley Five's the other day, and while the glasses don't have the Z87 stamp in the frame, the literature that they came with say they are certified.
    Just know, I chose my own fate. I drove by the fork in the road and went straight.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi View Post
    Go put your pussy 2 1/2" lines away kiddies.

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer343

By the way KEEPBACK200FEET, you're so dramatic!

Quote Originally Posted by KEEPBACK200FEET View Post
    You also might want to check the packaging they came in. I bought a new pair of Oakley Five's the other day, and while the glasses don't have the Z87 stamp in the frame, the literature that they came with say they are certified.
    I forgot about that. My brother just bought a pair of M Frames and he found that Z87 cert stuff in the literature also.

I hit dollar store safety glasses with a spring loaded window punch, went right through, same thing with regular glasses, didn't even leave a mark!
    Yahtzee!

Point proven.

For your own safety, go out and get a pair of certifed glasses.

MembersZone Subscriber KevinFFVFD's Avatar

well i dont need glasses for extrication because we dont do that, the rescue company from the city is the ones who do extrication for us. so if i get goggles they need to be for fires, not extrications. i understand that the mask provides primary eye protections, and during primary fire operations there would be no need for goggles. what i am looking for is good goggles for overhaul or assisting EMS and rescue at MVC's.

Forum Member

Re read my post, my safety glasses are from the hardware store (ANSI Z87.1 certified), the hard case I store them in came from the dollar store, agree I wouldn't trust a pair of dollar store safety glasses.

Quote Originally Posted by FireRescue43 View Post
    Re read my post, my safety glasses are from the hardware store (ANSI Z87.1 certified), the hard case I store them in came from the dollar store, agree I wouldn't trust a pair of dollar store safety glasses.
    OHHHHHH. Gotcha. Sorry about that.

Well at least those reading this thread will know what NOT to buy!

Quote Originally Posted by KevinFFVFD View Post
    Goggles for helmet. Really need advice.
    Don't use them. Goggles on helmets suck!! It will be an utter waste of your money.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

I have a pair of goggles I keep in my pant pocket in case I need them for an MVC. The new NFPA States something like If you have goggles they dont have to be attached to your helmet anymore. This makes things alot smoother regarding Fire runs and goggles getting ruined.

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Safety glasses.

Go the Farm and Fleet or Home Depot or Lowes or whatever and get ANSI certified safety glasses for less than 10 bucks. You can even get sun glass safety glasses.

We have goggles on my volly FD and they are universally hated to the point that people are buying their own safety glasses to replace them.

FyredUp

Thread Information