Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LVFD301 View Post
    I want to show off my equipment
    Ummm... can't you get arrested for that?

PKFPD
    IACOJ and proud of it

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by pkfd7505 View Post
    Only if they complain...

Forum Member

Originally Posted by pkfd7505
    Originally Posted by LVFD301
    Only if they complain...
    Would your trial be in "small claims court"?
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

Lots of good points mentioned, but I further stress the need for diplomacy.

In many smaller communities, the Firehall may be the community hall, voting center, emergency operations center, among many other uses. If that has been the tradition, you may have to be tactful in your efforts to change things.

I agree with the comments about not ****ing off the old folks. They have a lot of time on thier hands, and they can write letters and make phones calls till the cows come home. Plus, if they are active in the community most of them have experience with this, and possibly influential friends who want to keep them happy.

Like any other problem, try to offer a solution instead of just saying no, and be prepared to defend your position with facts and honest concerns. It has to hold up to both public and political scrutiny.

Maybe it's time for the community to buck up and build a dedicated community center for these things (or donate an old vacant building, as has been the norm out here). In order to make that happen, you first have to convince the politicians that it is a good use of public funds, and then you have to help them convince the public that they should pay for it.

Good Luck.

And beware the AARP!
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    Originally Posted by pkfd7505

Originally Posted by LVFD301

Would your trial be in "small claims court"?
    Oh come on now... Never look at the next urinal!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by LVFD301 View Post
    Oh come on now... Never look at the next urinal!
    LOOK at the next urinal???

You shouldn't USE the next urinal. Man rules clearly state a one urinal buffer between strangers. If there are no others available without impedeing a man's "urinal space", come back later.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by mcaldwell View Post

You shouldn't USE the next urinal. Man rules clearly state a one urinal buffer between strangers. If there are no others available without impedeing a man's "urinal space", come back later.
    This thread is really headed towards the crapper....

Good thing's happening

Quote Originally Posted by mcaldwell View Post

This is true...hmmm what about sporting events ? because no man wants to miss any action

MembersZone Subscriber

To answer some of the questions posted, the town owns the building. And no we arenít reckless with our driving, our record for safety is impeccable and wed like to keep it that way, the problem for one is the poor design of the parking lot. The limited spaces are on the outside of the lot because the building has rear doors for the apparatus to pull into to eliminate backing in and at night the lighting is poor. We had an incident last year when another group was using the building and the lot was full of cars parked everywhere and when a mutual aid call came in there was no place for the responding members to park. The new policy was explained in detail and with plenty of notice to this group. In addition other organizations have offered use of there buildings for them and they flat out refuse to accept there offers.

Hook & Can

Quote Originally Posted by BHFF22 View Post
    To answer some of the questions posted, the town owns the building....The new policy was explained in detail and with plenty of notice to this group. In addition other organizations have offered use of there buildings for them and they flat out refuse to accept there offers.
    The next step, IMO, is for the Chief to go to the town council, or mayor, or what-have-you and explain to him/them why he wants the policy change. Also letting them know that there are other sites available for the Seniors to use may help them realize that your chief may have a valid concern...then let those in charge decide what should happen.

Unfortunately for you guys, the Chief does have a "boss," and may not be able to act as the final authority on the matter...especially considering the "political clout" that a seniors group could have.

One question...on the days that they hold their annual garage sale, why couldn't the apparatus be backed in to the station, and use the area at the rear of the station for firefighter parking? It is only an annual event, for what...a weekend? Would it be that much of an inconvenience/logisitcal nightmare? Ok...so it was more than 1 question.

Whatever happens, I wish you guys the best with the sticky situation. Sounds like you're in for a bit of a battle if they've refused other locations that were offered.

MembersZone Subscriber

when we discussed this issue it wasnt just the seniors that we wanted to stop using the building it was all the groups. We felt if we allow 1 group to use the building then the other groups will complain that we are being unfair.

Hook & Can

when we discussed this issue it wasnt just the seniors that we wanted to stop using the building it was all the groups. We felt if we allow 1 group to use the building then the other groups will complain that we are being unfair.
    Good point. I had forgotten you had said the other group understood and agreed in your original post.

Forget what I said about the backing in, etc.

Still, it seems the Chief is going to have to make a case to the "owners" of the building to make anything happen...maybe the seniors will have to make a case to them as well, with each side presenting their arguments. I think the Chief will have the stronger position, especially with other options available.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrParasite View Post
    Am I the only one that has a problem with this? whether the town owns the building or the corporation, it's still a firehouse.

if I'm not mistaken, the City on New York owns all the FDNY firehouses. Does that mean I can hold a bake sale there next week?

For all you guys who are in 100% paid firehouses, since the buildings are owned by the cities, I am going to have a group meeting there. after all, they are public buildings, and I can use them as I like, right?

from a PR side, yes, you can be nice and help them find a new place. But you are under no legal obligation to do so. However, you can suggest they meet at the police station, municipal building, or library, as they are as equally public buildings as your fire station, and they have as much equal right do do what they want there as they do as your fire house
    I agree with you. It's a firehouse, not a community center. It's purpose and set up is for emergency responses, not community events. If a department wants to allow their building to be used for community events, then more power to them, that's their choice.

Originally quoted by BHFF22:

In addition we would lose the use of our day room for 2 days.
    If your department, or any department is going to use their house for a community event, the living quarters of the house should be off limits. I personally don't like strangers roaming through my firehouse. We've had things stollen by our visitors. This is one reason why I don't like community events at the firehouse. You leave on a fire call with a house full of civilians, who's watching your stuff?

Forum Member

Default Surrender the Firehouse

Looking for some feedback about a problem we are currently facing. The senior citizens in my community have used the firehouse for the past several years to hold there annual garage sale. The current Chief raised some safety concerns he has regarding them walking threw the parking lot while members are responding to emergencies. It was discussed at the meeting and the membership voted to end all public use of the building.The other group that used the firehouse graciously accepted the decision and made other arrangements. But it seems the seniors feel itís a public building and for them to use when they like. Our call volume has doubled in the past 2 years and the safety concerns are legitimate because our parking lot can barely accommodate us. In addition we would lose the use of our day room for 2 days. Any experiences or suggestions will be helpful
    Annual garage sale. As in once per year. Donít walk away from this fight, RUN! Firehouses were once the center of community life. Nothing strikes fear in politicians more than seeing the front row of the town meeting filled with blue haired ladies. Your FD does not want to p-off these folks. They are organized, networked & have lots of time on there hands. Donít try to confuse this argument with facts, you will lose. Change the name of your place to Fort Surrender for one day

Forum Member

the town owns the building.
    Then fortunately/unfortunately, the town gets to decide how it's building is used and by whom.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Looking for some feedback about a problem we are currently facing. The senior citizens in my community have used the firehouse for the past several years to hold there annual garage sale. The current Chief raised some safety concerns he has regarding them walking threw the parking lot while members are responding to emergencies. It was discussed at the meeting and the membership voted to end all public use of the building.The other group that used the firehouse graciously accepted the decision and made other arrangements. But it seems the seniors feel itís a public building and for them to use when they like. Our call volume has doubled in the past 2 years and the safety concerns are legitimate because our parking lot can barely accommodate us. In addition we would lose the use of our day room for 2 days. Any experiences or suggestions will be helpful
    That building is a firehouse first and any public usage that interferes with that should be prohibited. I would help them find an alternative place for their garage sale, maybe help them with it if they find a place.
    "You choose to go voluntarily into the fire. The blaze might well destroy you. But if you survive, every blow of the hammer will serve to shape your being. Every drop of water wrung from you will temper and strengthen your soul." Margaret Weis

Paul Richardson
    Firefighter/EMT-B
    OVFD unit# 343/SLVFD unit# 610

Thread Information