Forum Member

Default Disptacher pay and working conditions.

Howdy guys and gals,

I am about to start with a new department, a our state goverment has amalgamated the 2 disptach centres into one, with the city department running all dispatches from now. As part of the deal we are going along with the work.

Now to my point, the new rate of pay is $60,300 dollars per year without overtime, and has a shift roster of 2x10 hr days and 2x14 hr nights. There is a shift of 6, including 2 officers and 4 operators, apart from the 4 of us, all are career firefighters on re-assignment.

The working conditions are fantastic, due to a strong union, and the guys are pretty happy.

Any other disptachers on the forums care to compare, as I think we are on a pretty good deal here !! I want to know how others compare, I have looked into the US job specs, and some I have seen were starting on $28,000, I thought that was fairly low.

Thanks for your help

Forum Member

That is very good pay. I'm curious to know if the dispatch center is a fire radio only center and if you take 911 calls directly? It's odd that a small center would pay that well and use only Firefighters.
    Someone once told me that time is a predator that stalks us all our lives. But maybe time is also a companion who goes with us on our journey, and reminds us to cherish the moments of our lives because they will never come again.

Forum Member

I started out at about 24K in 1999 and now make 30K a year so your pay is great compared to ours. We work four 10 hour shifts and rotate through shifts so we all work each type of shift(day,graves, swings). Normally two Dispatchers on but some shifts have only one Dispatcher.

Forum Member

Wow, I kinda feel bad saying this now, oh well.

The department I am coming from currently looks after 430 stations, all volunteer, the department I am going to looks after about 40 stations, all fulltime or retained, so we will have 470 stations to look after, added to that we are now going to look after 60 volunteer rescue squads, not EMS, more like USAR and storm damage, so that makes it 530 stations to look after. We both do all radio and 000 calls (our version of 911) so its busy enough, will probably be around 25,000 calls a year, plus all the extra stuff that isn't a response. But it is only fire related, police and ambulance each have their own dispatch centres.

No offence, but how on earth are you supposed to make dispatching a career on 30 k, thats pretty low, and our dollar isn't much worse , I think its now 83cents for every Aussie dollar. I admire you guys, must be for the love of it!!

I think a strong union helps, and I don't know of any other place that uses FF's as staff.

Thanks for your replys guys.

Forum Member

Cool

Do you have any openings???? LOL

I work for our statewide emergency communciations center. We dispatch 22 different EMS units statewide, track all air medical units throughout the state, provide flight following for our Fish & Game department and for EMS air medical when requested. We are the dispatch point for the state Bureau of Homeland Security as well as the dispatch center for our states transportation department. We work with a minimum staffing of 2. We work 4/10 hour shifts, and 3 days off. We have a rotating schedule with several different shifts (A,B,C,D,E and F). Our starting pay is approximately $24,000/year.

Forum Member

WOW, I wonder why the pay rates are so different, having now started with the new department, I can tell you I am far better off !! It must be hard to attract good operators, and those that stay must do it for the love of the job, or is your cost of living a lot less, its not like our dollar is much different, we are currently getting 89c for and American dollar, so there is nothing in it.
    I had thought of making the move over to the states and try my hand at dispatch, but not for that kind of money.

Forum Member

pumper - Cost of living is one of many things that affects pay rates here. I make over $26 per hour, and will make between $65,000 - $70,000 after overtime this year.
    Someone once told me that time is a predator that stalks us all our lives. But maybe time is also a companion who goes with us on our journey, and reminds us to cherish the moments of our lives because they will never come again.

Forum Member

Sounds like a nice place...

My "full time" job is at a county 911 center. We dispatch 4 police departments, a county sheriff office, 1 ambulance service, a county rescue/hazmat squad, coroners office, and 6 fire departments. Our starting pay is just over 24,000 with 5 diffrent 8 hour shift that we rotate every 2 weeks. We get two true weekends off every 3 months and usually have 2 dispatchers on per duty from 9am till 1am. Oh by the way we get all the overtime we want and usually more that most want.

Thread Information