Forum Member

Default MSA multi-gas detectors

We are looking at purchasing either a MSA Orion or a Solaris. Any input on either unit?

MembersZone Subscriber

My vollie department's got an Orion that we like.

My career department, however, is using Industrial Scientific units (I think it's the TMX412, but it's been a while since I've been assigned to the rescue that carries them). I couldn't tell you why, but our special ops chief is impressed as hell and prefers them over the MSA, Scott, etc.

Forum Member

we have a sirius, its the least problematic of all our MSA Meters, (5 Star, VOC).

MembersZone Subscriber

I looked into these meters and found for the price they are not worth it... I just bought 2 Bio systems miltiversions, LEL,co,o2,H2S, for the HAZMAT team and confined space for 1/2 the price... Dragger has a nice 4 gas out there also (miniwarn)...It depends on maintence, repair,(service) calibration and operation.... It depends on what you are going to use it for, the run of the mill CO call, Gas leak then look around.....you wont need a $4000 unit for that If you are looking for a confined space meter, then your limited......only prob i have with the biosystems is it is caled to methane not pentane... less conversion but will still keep me in the ball park...;..Bio also has a lifetime on the meters and 2 yr on all sensors
    Last edited by plisken; 06-01-2007 at 08:22 PM.
    Be SAFE!!! Go home when your shift is done and enjoy life.
    This is MY OPINION and ONLY MINE.
    Not my Departments/IAFF/WPFF

MembersZone Subscriber

I handle all the air monitors for my department. We use Industrial Scientific, originally used the TMX412s (been fairly bullet proof for years) and I've started phasing in the new ITXs (so far seem to work great as well). I've had great luck with the customer technical support as well, can always call and get answers or trouble shooting help for no charge.

Only MSA we had was a PID II (not a CGI). It was good, but they discontinued parts for it. For our PID we went to the Rae when the PID II broke.

I looked at some of the MSA CGIs when switching to the ITX and decided to stick with Industrial Scientific.

I know that doesn't address the original question, but wanted to chime in on ours, since they've worked so well for us (we have about 25 or so total).
    FTM-PTB-RFB
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

FYRMNK: How do you like the REA looking to replace our msa pid with one???

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by plisken View Post
    It's OK, we have the Mini Rae 2000. I personally liked the PID II better, it was easier to get into the cal. mode before use, but when I called MSA about the repairs, they said after this year we couldn't even get parts anymore, and the repair cost to keep the obsolete one in service was about 1/2 the cost of the new Rae we got.

So far it seems to have been doing well, and most other hazmat teams in our region are using them also. They seem to have a good reputation. We've only had ours about 9 months though.
    FTM-PTB-RFB
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the info!!! don't want to steel the thread..... Currently we have 3 CMX-271 Industrial sci, they have been good but have become obsolite, 2 msa proguards and am finding the same thing, parts are getting expensive... we switched to phase out the msa's and Cmx's, if the bio systems work we will purchase 3 more for the rigs... I do all the maint so if you have any other questions give me a post.....

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by plisken View Post
    We use the Entry RAE with PID. Like all of this hi-tech instrumntation you get what you pay for. Buy cheap you get cheap. We actually had an engineer look at the various models and he determined that the RAE meters were by far the best on the market. They are also extremely easy to use.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by HotTrotter View Post
    We use the Entry RAE with PID. Like all of this hi-tech instrumntation you get what you pay for. Buy cheap you get cheap. We actually had an engineer look at the various models and he determined that the RAE meters were by far the best on the market. They are also extremely easy to use.
    I'd certainly agree the Rae is probably the best currently available for PID based on my research.

However for standard 4 gas, the Industrial Scientific have been simply bullet proof for us for many, many years.

On a side note, if anyone considering these have the resources to keep a separate PID and CGI, I'd highly recommend it. I've had to send off CGIs for repair and PIDs, don't want to loose both at once if you don't have to.
    FTM-PTB-RFB
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Todd,

Currently at work, I use the MSA Solaris. I use it to monitor Methane (CH4) and Oxygen (O2) levels in an underground coal mine. I have used the Orion at my previous volunteer fire company. In my opinion, the solaris is easier to use. The only drawback, is (and I'm not sure if it's a work-specific S.O.P or not) it has to be calibrated before each shift. That can take sometime as little as one minute to as much as five minutes. The construction of the Solaris is pretty rugged and it has a very easy to read display and only a few buttons. If you would like some more specific info, PM me and I'll see what I can find out.

Brad

Thread Information