MembersZone Subscriber

Default Memphis Medic Requirements...

Hello everyone. I went online to memphisfire.net and was looking around the website and saw where a MFD Fire Recruit job posting. So I opened it up and took a look at all of the requirements and so forth set by the department for new recruits. I was reading along and came to a part that said “SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS THAT MUST BE COMPLETED AS A CONDITION OF CONTINUED EMPLYMENT” and they are as followed….

1. Must successfully complete course work and testing in order to become certified by the State
    of Tennessee as an Emergency Medical TechnicianIntravenous
    (EMTIV)
    and maintain
    EMTIV
    Certification within one (1) year with the Memphis Fire Department, as a condition
    of continued employment.
    2. Must successfully progress through the State of Tennessee Fire Fighter I Certification
    Program within one (1) year with the Memphis Fire Department and must successfully
    progress through the State of Tennessee Fire Fighter II Certification Program within three (3)
    years with the Memphis Fire Department (as specified in NFPA Standards 1001), as a
    condition of continued employment;
    3. Within three (3) years of employment with the Memphis Fire Department, must become
    licensed by the State of Tennessee as a Paramedic (EMTAdvanced),
    as a condition of
    continued employment.

Now before I continue on I want to make it clear that I am not questioning the methods of MFD and anything else of that matter. I think that MFD is an excellent Fire Department, and is actually one of the Departments I plan on attempting to get on with within the next few years, but this is my question….

How can Memphis FD require that new recruits HAVE to go to EMT-IV and EMT-P school to stay on MFD? What if the recruit does not actually want to become a paramedic? What if a recruit would just like to stay at the Basic level or someone who strictly wants to stay with firefighting period? I know that in many fire departments that firefighters are required to become at least an EMT-B, but I have never heard of a department making it mandatory that you must become a Paramedic. I know that EMS is a ever growing thing, and more medics are needed. I actually start EMT school this Monday and plan on going to Paramedic school after I get some experience. But what do those people who do not want to be Paramedics do in this situation??

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by KevinFFVFD View Post
    ]But what do those people who do not want to be Paramedics do in this situation??
    Apply to a different department.

They can require you to dye your hair blue, if they want. You sign up, knowing what the requirements are, you are bound to those requirements.

In my state, EMT-I is the more common requirement, but medic is increasingly required.

The fire service of the future will be even more EMS focussed than it is now. I would require medic too.

Forum Member

MFD has PLENTY of firefighters. As of right now, they are 300 short on medics. they are also offering a 10,000 dollar sign on bonus to new medics. Half after 3 months and half after 6 months with a two year contract. They are desperate and medics are jumping ship every day.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by engine4cLT View Post
    MFD has PLENTY of firefighters. As of right now, they are 300 short on medics. they are also offering a 10,000 dollar sign on bonus to new medics. Half after 3 months and half after 6 months with a two year contract. They are desperate and medics are jumping ship every day.
    wow, i didnt know they were that short. so would it be safe to say that anyone joining the MFD in the future should expect to spend the majority of their time on a medic unit? or do you think they would spread your time out on a engine and medic unit?

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up

wow, i didnt know they were that short. so would it be safe to say that anyone joining the MFD in the future should expect to spend the majority of their time on a medic unit? or do you think they would spread your time out on a engine and medic unit?
    Three letters, Q R S

If a department is short on medic units, there going to have less on the street. That does not mean that the call volume drops also. The FD will simply be running more assist. Your job as a firefighter is to protect life and property. "Protect life" That can also be medical! Or what would happen if one of your crew members on your engine co have a heart attack. As a medic your able to keep him stable till he reaches a hospital.

I guess common sense just isn't common.

Forum Member

Yea, you will spend alot of time on the ambulance. It has been that way for a couple years now. They do pay more money for the fire private to ride the box though. To the guys that do it, the money isn't worth it. MFD's medic units are as a general rule VERY busy. There is usually not more than a couple hours time during a shift that you are not on a run.

Forum Member

The system was designed to have paramedics spend 50% of the time on fire apparatus and 50% of the time on ambulances, or as close as possible. As a result of being short staffed on medics, people have been riding a higher percentage of the time on the ambulances.

Firefighters do not spend that much time on ambulances, probably more than is liked, but firefighters ride on avaerage about 1 out of every 6-10 shifts on an ambulance.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Forum Member

How can Memphis FD require that new recruits HAVE to go to EMT-IV and EMT-P school to stay on MFD???
    The same way they require you become firefighter certified.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Forum Member

Kramer, i didnt even know you guys were hiring FF right now. All I ever hear about are the medic classes. They keep sending my wayyyy too old self the little flyers for the medic job...lol

MembersZone Subscriber

are the medic and fire 2 seperate divisions?

if i got hired on as a medic, would i be looking at spending all the time on an ambulance or would i get rotated to an engine sometimes?

Forum Member

If you get hired on as a medic, you will go to the Memphis trainig facility and learn to be a Memphis firefighter. Then when you are put on company, you will split time on an engine/truck company and a medic unit. If you really just want to be a medic and not a FF, the other medic in your house will love you and let you ride the unit as much as you want, because you are the exception, not the rule. Alot of Memphis medics have no desire at all to treat patients, but they got the medic card to get in on the city job.

MembersZone Subscriber

Alright, here is another question….

If most of a new firefighter’s time is going to be spent on an ambulance, then how does that “Firefighter/Medic” rise in rank? What I mean is if I was to spend most of my time on an ambulance would that prevent me from rising in rank to like a “Driver/Engineer” or an Officer rank because they need me to be on an ambulance all of the time? How can I rise in rank in a “Firefighting” ranking position if I spend all of my time on an ambulance? Wouldn’t that take me away from riding the ambulance which is exactly opposite of what MFD apparently needs?

MembersZone Subscriber

By the way, please don’t take anything I am saying as “bashing” the MFD or questioning their methods, I am just trying to understand this system of hiring for them. I have heard of departments requiring firefighters to become basics, but I have never heard of a department requiring firefighters to be paramedics. I 100% respect the MFD and consider them an absolutely great fire department.

Forum Member

If most of a new firefighter’s time is going to be spent on an ambulance, then how does that “Firefighter/Medic” rise in rank? What I mean is if I was to spend most of my time on an ambulance would that prevent me from rising in rank to like a “Driver/Engineer” or an Officer rank because they need me to be on an ambulance all of the time? How can I rise in rank in a “Firefighting” ranking position if I spend all of my time on an ambulance? Wouldn’t that take me away from riding the ambulance which is exactly opposite of what MFD apparently needs?
    No, you are a firefighter, just like the private that is not a medic. You can test and get on the promotional list. If you get promoted to driver, you are taken out of the ambulance rotation, as far as I know. Memphis does run ALS engine/truck companies so you could then be the fire company medic. I would think that is part of the reason for the medic shortage. The privates get promoted and there is no backfill for the units.

Forum Member

As an aside, I think you guys in Vicksburg run FD ambulances. Who mans these? Are the medics fire cert. or strictly medics?

Forum Member

First of all there are other large, urban fire departments that require all applicants to become paramedics - Dallas is one of them and they have been doing it for years. From what I understand however, their paramedics get hired to ride ambulances and you are stuck on one until you get enough senority to be able to bid off.

Its kinda funny if you ask me, because the answer is no - EMS and Fire is not supposed to be two seperate bureaus. In fact a lawa suit was filed years ago when it was structured that way that mandated everything come together, which it is, but it isn't. lol On paper its one big happy family, but it is set up very much like two seperate entities. Both have their own positions all the way through the chain of command and none of them cross over. For example, there are fire Lieutenants and EMS Lieutenants. As a paramedic you would be eligible to take both tests, but whichever one you get promoted to would elimnate any and all crossing over from that point foward. As a fire Lieutenant I am responsible only for any paramedic assigned to my company and take care of my company only. Even if I were a paramedic, my ambulance riding days would be over. EMS Lieutenants may oversee several paramedics, be over severeal ambulances, reports, supplies, etc. They would also no longer ride the ambulance, but is a WHOLE lot more asscociated with them.

Anyway, this is kinda long, but I am going to post a copy of an email I sent after someone reading this thread contacted me. It will answer several questions people may have. If not, feel free to contact me. I will do the best I can.

Copied from email:

I am on the e-board for our Local - 1784, so the figures I am quoting you are not for probationary employees. These go into effect at your 1 year anniversiary date. We do not have probationary pay because we do not represent probationary employees. The exact starting salary should be in the paperwork that you received to apply for the job, but I will see if I can get it.

Local 1784 Article 35 - Salary

Firefighter Paramedic salary per month:
    1-2 years..........................3910.02
    2-3 years..........................4191.70
    3+ years..........................4340.25

Other compensation:
    Currently $10,000 hire on bunus for paramedics. Requires 2 year commitment contract.

Uniform allowance - 1st year = $400.00
    2nd year = $350.00
    3+ years = $275.00

Longevity pay - Starts at $20 beginning your 5th year and goes up $10 in 5 year segments.

College Incentive pay - Eligible after 1 year.
    25 hours......................+ 1.0% of base salary
    55 hours......................+ 2.5% of base salary
    85 hours......................+ 5.0% of base salary
    4 year degree...............+ 7.5% of base salary

Job Incentive pay - Eligible after 1 year.

Easy to get. Get qualified on 3 apparatus = + 2% of base salary. You already have paramedic, so you get qualified on an engine and truck and you'll get a 2% raise.

Bonus Days: Every 90 calendar days you report to work without calling in sick earns you a bonus day. They were designed to be used as a free day off when we had extra people, but we never have extra people. The union was then successful in allowing these earned days to be sold back to the city - maximum of 4 days per year. Additionally, they are sold at the hourly rate of pay you are making the day you turn the form in. So if you earn 4 bonus days your first year when you are on probation but wait and sell them when you are off probation they will be worth more because you are at a higher rate of pay when you sell it. Additionally, if you earn a day as a firefighter but get promoted to Driver and Lieutenant, you get paid the higher rate.

Holiday pay: I am not sure the exact number of holidays we are up to every year. I think its 14, but not 100% on that. Anyway, you don't have to be working the day of the holiday to get paid for it - so everyone gets it unless you call in sick on that holiday or the day before or after depending on how your shift falls. (make sense) Anyway, you get paid an extra 8 hours of straight time for all holidays. Essentially you are working that day at the overtime rate. Holidays ARE NOT paid through out the year however. All extra holiday pay for the entire year is paid on the first paycheck in December.

Overtime: To be honest, I am not sure exactly what the current status is for probationary employees as it pertains to overtime. It has been a while since I have had a new guy. I know being a paramedic, that once you are off probation you can get nearly as much as you want. I think the first year is set up so that you can work as a firefighter on the company, but not as a paramedic on the unit - but again I wil have to check on that.

Residency requirement - You heard correct. The requirement mandating city residency has been relaxed for 2 years allowing you to reside anywhere in the county. This has been in effect for several months so I would guess that there is about 18 months or so of that left.

25 and out retirement. Currently also has 3 year drop program. Eligibilty begins at the end of you 25th year.

There are a couple of other small compensation things, but they are dependent on several variables. I think I hit on all the big stuff and things that apply to everyone.

Keep im mind though that several things also come out of your paycheck. Of coarse all the regular taxes. Family insurance runs me about $225 a month, any supplemental insurance you want, we pay 7% into our retirement, union dues are right at $20 a pay day.
    Last edited by MemphisE34a; 06-02-2007 at 10:56 PM.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by engine4cLT View Post
    As an aside, I think you guys in Vicksburg run FD ambulances. Who mans these? Are the medics fire cert. or strictly medics?
    I am not on Vicksburg Fire Department, but I am on one of the volunteer departments in the county surrounding the city, and VFD runs ALS ambulance and rescue for us because we don’t have that. Plus my dad was on VFD so I know how they work. Our main function is fire suppression and assisting VFD at MVC’s. We do have members that are first responders that run medic calls to assist the VFD on EMS calls. But to answer your question…..

VFD does run ALS for the whole county. They run 5 ambulances to cover the city and county. They also have a rescue unit that is staffed by Firefighter/EMT’s and Firefighter/Paramedics. Every ambulance is staffed by a Firefighter/EMT and a Paramedic. The thing is though, in Vicksburg you do not have to be a firefighter to be a Paramedic with VFD. You can apply to VFD strictly as a Paramedic and they will assign you to an ambulance. So there are people on VFD that are not firefighters at all and are just medics.

Now on VFD (and I am pretty sure this is how it goes) you have to become an EMT within the first year. As a matter of fact, the EMT class I start with this month is being taught by the EMS training officer for VFD and there are going to be several VFD guys in there. All firefighter are EMT’s and serve as the drivers for the ambulances and assist the Paramedics. When a firefighter shows up for duty they may either be assigned to an ambulance that day or they may get assigned to an engine, it just depends on where they need them. Now there are Paramedics who are firefighters, and most of them started out on the department as an EMT and then went to Paramedics school, all paid for by the department. VFD does not hire EMT’s alone. The only medic class they will hire without you having to be a firefighter is Paramedic.

I also believe you may choose not to go to EMT school if you choose not to, but you will not be eligible for promotion because EMT is a requirement for promotion in the VFD. Also the Mississippi Fire Academy requires at least First Responder to attend Firefighter 1001 1&2. They do offer an “Emergency Responder” course, but it only gets you though 1001 and that’s it. So most of the guys from VFD who I will go through the EMT class with have not even gone through the academy yet. They just got hired on about a month ago.

In Mississippi there are many departments who have Paramedics. For instance Ridgeland Fire Department has ALS rescue’s. And I think in cities like Gulfport they run ALS engines. Vicksburg I think is the only fire department in Mississippi who runs the Ambulances, but I may be wrong. Everywhere else is a private ambulance service.

MembersZone Subscriber

Vicksburg I think is the only fire department in Mississippi who runs the Ambulances, but I may be wrong. Everywhere else is a private ambulance service.
    Olive Branch, Southaven, Horn Lake, and Hernando Fire Departments in Desoto County run their ambulance services. The paramedics do not cross-train and are strictly medics. However, I have heard that Olive Branch and Southaven were gonna let medics who wish to obtain NFPA 1001 do so.
    Secretary/Treasurer
    Memphis Fire Fighters Association
    IAFF Local 1784
    www.iaff1784.org
    www.memphisfirescanner.com

MembersZone Subscriber

One of the main reasons of the new requirement of getting your medic license is to up the numbers so eventually it may be to the point where medics may only ride an ambulance eight hours a day or so. The more medics, the less time you will have to ride the sick wagon.
    Secretary/Treasurer
    Memphis Fire Fighters Association
    IAFF Local 1784
    www.iaff1784.org
    www.memphisfirescanner.com

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Post Another View.................

In my area, Several "Metro" departments tried requiring Medic Certification, then dropped the idea after several years. EMT-B is a standard requirement for Firefighters, but in most places, EMT-P is optional. One Department required new hires to become EMT-Ps within 4 years of hire, on their own time. Suprisingly ( ) when the first academy class hired under that rule reached the end of the 4 year period, a bunch of them moved on to other, smaller, departments, using their "I got 4 years with the BIG CITY FD" resume'. THAT was an eye opener. That requirement was tabled until an evaluation could be done of the entire EMS Operations arena. Another thing that most people, including Fire Chiefs, miss, is the fact that MOST EMS calls DO NOT need ALS intervention. For that reason, in the Mid-Atlantic area, most FDs operate 60 to 85 percent of their EMS Transport Units as BLS Ambulances. And, Most of these ALS Units are staffed by two EMT-Ps. One department that I know of is trying the ALS engine concept, where one member of a 4 or 5 man Engine Crew is a ALS provider, on each shift. This medic can join a BLS Ambulance Crew as an "Upgrade" to provide ALS service until the Patient is transferred to the control of Recieving Facility Personnel. Another Pilot program is running Ambulances with 1 ALS and 1 BLS Provider on board. It will take time to pull together all the "Best Practices" and see where the future of EMS will go...... Stay tuned.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

never mind, never mind, never mind.....

my bad lol

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    In my area, Several "Metro" departments tried requiring Medic Certification, then dropped the idea after several years. EMT-B is a standard requirement for Firefighters, but in most places, EMT-P is optional. One Department required new hires to become EMT-Ps within 4 years of hire, on their own time. Suprisingly ( ) when the first academy class hired under that rule reached the end of the 4 year period, a bunch of them moved on to other, smaller, departments, using their "I got 4 years with the BIG CITY FD" resume'. THAT was an eye opener. That requirement was tabled until an evaluation could be done of the entire EMS Operations arena.
    are you sure about that chief? I know MCFD has all their new recruits be paramedics after they get out of the academy. I think PGFD requires similar.

One thing you need to keep in mind in several "metro" departments don't require ANY training prior to getting hired. no firefighting experience or EMS experience is necessary. They say that you will learn everything you need to do the job in the academy (or taught during the probie's first year).

However, many departments (MC, PG and DC from your area, others that provide ALS service to their areas)) all give preference to those who already are certified as EMT-Ps. Of course, if a department doesn't do ALS care, they don't require or even request a medic cert.

But if they are busy enough of a metro department, they often give you all your training in the academy, and pretty much ignore any prior experience you may have.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrParasite View Post
    One thing you need to keep in mind in several "metro" departments don't require ANY training prior to getting hired. no firefighting experience or EMS experience is necessary. They say that you will learn everything you need to do the job in the academy (or taught during the probie's first year).
    That is the way it is here. If you don't have anything, they will provide you with fire and paramedic training in-house. You have 1 year to pass FFI, and 3 years to pass FFII and paramedic.

If you already have paramedic they are offering the $10,000 bonus. Presumably because they will be saving the money in training.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Post Yeah..............

Quote Originally Posted by DrParasite View Post
    are you sure about that chief? I know MCFD has all their new recruits be paramedics after they get out of the academy. I think PGFD requires similar.

Lets just say things are in a fluid state...............
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mtomek112 View Post
    Olive Branch, Southaven, Horn Lake, and Hernando Fire Departments in Desoto County run their ambulance services. The paramedics do not cross-train and are strictly medics. However, I have heard that Olive Branch and Southaven were gonna let medics who wish to obtain NFPA 1001 do so.

I work in Southaven, and yes, we have had several medics crosstrain as FF. It has also worked the other way that FF have crosstrained as medics. Of all the medics that have crosstrained, I think that every one of them are now riding ALS engine companies. I know of one that has been promoted to Driver. I am the LT on my engine and also happen to be the medic.

Thread Information