Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: input-good/bad

MembersZone Subscriber

Default input-good/bad

Looking for input on mounting amkus equipment on front bumper of one of our trucks. Any past problems, suggestions, do's/don'ts would be great. Currently, the extended front bumper is occupied by either the Q, or someone sitting on it. Smaller department looking to become more efficient in the use of its fleet. I'm putting together a proposal to present to the Chiefs. Also, could a hydraulic generator already on the truck, 10kw, possibly push enough psi to run the amkus spreader, cutter, and rams?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mvfd99 View Post
    Looking for input on mounting amkus equipment on front bumper of one of our trucks. Any past problems, suggestions, do's/don'ts would be great. Currently, the extended front bumper is occupied by either the Q, or someone sitting on it. Smaller department looking to become more efficient in the use of its fleet. I'm putting together a proposal to present to the Chiefs. Also, could a hydraulic generator already on the truck, 10kw, possibly push enough psi to run the amkus spreader, cutter, and rams?
    The only way the Hydraulic generator could be used to run the Tools is if you wired an electric pump to the panel box. I believe you would need 240 volt.

MembersZone Subscriber

I appreciate your response, I talked to a manufacturer rep yesterday and found out alot on the issue. Some things that we brought up were just ideas on the board, just trying to get all the answers.

Quote Originally Posted by mvfd99 View Post
    One question is how often do you use your rescue tools? Will it be worth it to spend the money to do this project if you don't use it enough?

MembersZone Subscriber

To meet the overall goals of efficiency, it would. We only run approx 15 "extrication" calls in the city. Mutual Aid brings that amount up some. We've been stuck in the "old days" for so long, we're trying to come up with solid ideas for the future. This idea would tie into all front line ALS apparatus, and ridding ourselves of the "jump companies" that are currently used. There is an outside chance of transporting pts being brought up and kicked around. Change is on the horizon, we're just attempting to be ahead of the game and limit our fleet and maximize on only 2 people on apparatus/station. If the city won't increase manpower, we're attempting to let technology and newer ideas help us out.

We were interested in doing the same thing on our new engine but found that a lot of departments in our climate have had serious corrosion problems with their tools mounted up front (Illinois loves salt on their roads). Most front covers do not have the same sealing properties of compartment doors or roll up doors. We ended up using the driver's side rear (huge) compartment with slide out and slide out tilt down trays for the tools. Also twin CORE reels mounted at ceiling level. The compartment is 58" wide, 67" high and 26" deep. You do not need 220 VAC. Our power is from a Holmatro DPU60E 110 VAC twin pump powered by a 10 KW Harrison hydraulic generator. All our outlets have a transfer relay so you can actuall run the pump and test tools in the station without starting the apparatus. We also carry a small Holmatro DPU30 mini-pump for situations where the 100' reel would not reach. I believe our extrication numbers and demographics are similar to yours. We ended up putting a car fire line on the front bumper with a cover.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

MembersZone Subscriber

Nice truck, unfortunately we don't have the luxury of that compartment space. This would be going on one of our 75' ladder trucks. We have 2 Central State pumpers (program types) on commercial chassis that don't allow for much space. Our ladder truck is a demo from 99 that is also limited in workable compartment space, hence the front bumper idea.

MembersZone Subscriber

Also, I forgot to mention, Illinois does love salt. But down south they LOVE sand. We've been pretty lucky the last few years with very few heavy snows and ice storms. We do have a 95 Spartan/Quality pumper with the space to do what you and most other departments have done, but it's starting to have issues staying in service; electrical problems, generator failing, small brakes for size of truck, alternator problems. All these issues have been raised and with a new administration, hopefully, the ideas that the apparatus committee brings up will finally be worth something.....or not.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by zfdtruckman View Post
    We were interested in doing the same thing on our new engine but found that a lot of departments in our climate have had serious corrosion problems with their tools mounted up front (Illinois loves salt on their roads). Most front covers do not have the same sealing properties of compartment doors or roll up doors. We ended up using the driver's side rear (huge) compartment with slide out and slide out tilt down trays for the tools. Also twin CORE reels mounted at ceiling level. The compartment is 58" wide, 67" high and 26" deep. You do not need 220 VAC. Our power is from a Holmatro DPU60E 110 VAC twin pump powered by a 10 KW Harrison hydraulic generator. All our outlets have a transfer relay so you can actuall run the pump and test tools in the station without starting the apparatus. We also carry a small Holmatro DPU30 mini-pump for situations where the 100' reel would not reach. I believe our extrication numbers and demographics are similar to yours. We ended up putting a car fire line on the front bumper with a cover.
    Could you please post pictures of that rear compartment with the Holmatro tool and reel layout? Thank you.

Actually, photos of anybody's HRT compartment layouts would be appreciated. thank you.
    Last edited by FD1976; 06-06-2007 at 11:28 AM.

Most front covers do not have the same sealing properties of compartment doors or roll up doors.
    100% on-target bro. Luckily with a little creativity you can design a compartment which will keep most of the weather out. Combine that with some regular TLC of the tools (wash and silicone monthly) and we've had no problems in seven years on the salt encrused roads of Maine.

Stainless reel with 100' of hose on left, 100' trashline middle (not preconnected), Amkus combi-tool with chains and a few other accessories below it. Various MVA tools across the inside of the "hood" of the bumper.

One problem we did run into, the bumper hood blocks the headlights when left in the up position.

Check this thread out about front mounted tools
    http://forums.firehouse.com/showthre...ghlight=bumper
    ______________________________ __________________
    If you are new to posting please CLICK HERE for an essential lesson
    ______________________________ __________________
    A bad day in the boat is better than a good day in the office. And in my case the office is a boat!

IACOJ Fire Boat 1

MembersZone Subscriber

We have a set up currently on our rescue/quint of Holmatro tools in the front bumper with 2 reels. 1 spreader on 1 reel and 1 cutter on 1 reel with 2 rams carried between them in the bumper along with a halligan tool and windshield saw/glass axe. Power plant is in the rear lower compartment (R1) and is on a slide out tray so it can be pulled out during use since it is gasoline powered. The lines are run along the frame rails to the reels up front with the control valves for each being mounted to the underside of the bumper compartment. Has worked very well with a "Q" and 2 air horns in the bumper.

We are awaiting a new pumper now that we are planning on adding the same thing. Electric powered Holmatro hydraulic pump to power 2 preconnected tools in the front bumper. Since this set will be Holmatro Core tools, no reels are needed so there will be far less room taken leaving room for 1 spreader pre-connected, 1 cutter pre-connected, 2 rams, halligan, glass axe and 100' of 1-3/4" trashline with Class "A", "B" and CAFS to it while also maintaining the "Q" and air horns in the bumper.

We liked the ability to pull up, turn on the generator and have power to the tools all with a less maintenance intensive set-up that is quieter in operation and takes up less valuable space while still keep the gas powered power plant and loose hose for remote operations away from the rig.

Just some thoughts.
    Stay low and move it in.

Be safe.

Larry

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for that old thread, I looked but couldn't find anything. Good pics, in three years that I've gone to FDIC I've seen some pretty good set-ups. We also came up with a rubber type seal that we could use to help with the weatherizing aspect. It's starting to look like this idea may fly, but on our next truck. Don't know exactly when that will be, maybe 1-2 years. Just stockpiling ideas for when the time comes. Thanks

Mr. FD1976 - here are the pictures you wanted. As you can see, we are still outfitting the vehicle. All trays have inserts made of poly so the tools and equipment can set in their own pocket, be protected from damage and we didn't have to install a lot of individual brackets. Also easy to clean. Take out the tools, lift out the insert and clean with soap and water.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Forum Member

Mr. FD1976 - here are the pictures you wanted. As you can see, we are still outfitting the vehicle. All trays have inserts made of poly so the tools and equipment can set in their own pocket, be protected from damage and we didn't have to install a lot of individual brackets. Also easy to clean. Take out the tools, lift out the insert and clean with soap and water.
    Nice... looks like your department is putting a lot of thought into getting it set up.... Looks great.

Quote Originally Posted by STATION2 View Post
    We are awaiting a new pumper now that we are planning on adding the same thing. Electric powered Holmatro hydraulic pump to power 2 preconnected tools in the front bumper. Since this set will be Holmatro Core tools, no reels are needed so there will be far less room taken leaving room for 1 spreader pre-connected, 1 cutter pre-connected, 2 rams, halligan, glass axe and 100' of 1-3/4" trashline with Class "A", "B" and CAFS to it while also maintaining the "Q" and air horns in the bumper.
    How much hose are you pre-connecting on the rescue tools and how are you storing it?

Are you using the new "bulkhead" fitting from Holmatro?

Thanks
    "The hero is commonly the simplest and obscurest of men."
    -Henry David Thoreau

Visit my dept. at www.TCFD.com

Forum Member

All of our engines (that have extrication eqpt.) and all of our trucks except for the newest one have a stand alone pump, and it and the accompnying tools are kept in a side compartment. We have spare pumps in the event one needs service, or takes a dump. It is a very easy system to operate and relocate if the need arises.
    The thing that chaps my butt is the truck committee decided that it would be cool to have a built in pump and have all of the tools come off of the front bumper. It becomes a problem when the pump has issues that need to be addressed at the shop. Now we have to take the truck out of service until the amkus pump is ready. AND not all calls are easy for the big boy to nose into. I talked until I was blue in the face. Now I am in a position where I can say " I told you so,,," but I am not going there. I don't need to.

MembersZone Subscriber

There are a lot of possibilities of mounting equipment in the bumper. I am not a big fan of it because a small fender bending incident can become really expensive.

MembersZone Subscriber

Why limit youself look at TNT there warrenty is untouchable
    nrz2334
    Just my view

I would rather push my Seagrave than drive your Pierce!!

TNT Rescue The Best!!!!!!!

Forum Member

"Why limit youself look at TNT there warrenty is untouchable"

And why spelczech? Like them or not, I believe Champion can touch their warranty.

Forum Member

I think putting the tools in the front bumper is definitely a good idea. Even on the rare cases where you aren't coming nose in (which can't be that much because I assume if its a 75' stick it isn't huge), you can still deploy the tools to the side so long as there isn't much in the way on the top of the bumper (q, bumper turret, suction). Even if there are you could put a roller in front of them to keep the hose on track.

Sure a fender bender can put you OOS out more easily, but the more rapid extrications probably outweigh that.

Also, couldn't a roll up door be placed over this, I know ROM makes a door that covers and entire hose bed with a 90 degree angle so it could be bent over the compartment. his would be weather-proof and since it is relatively short, not take up too much room.

Thread Information