Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default How old is too old?

What are your guys respective age limit as to when a firefighter should retire? Of course depending on health, and activity, but what age do you consider to be too old to be doing the job?

It seems career would be earlier because of the 24 hour shift(in some places) and the call volume. And in volly departments, older because of less call volume.
    Just my opinion.

Career firefighters have a mandatory retirement age of 65. Most retire after anywhere between 20 and 32 years on the job, depending on the pension system.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Helping people?

When you die.

Stop before then, and you have died inside.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi View Post
    Helping people?

When you die.

Stop before then, and you have died inside.
    I actually, really laughed out loud when I read this. Was Richard Simmons watching over your shoulder as you typed that??

Cap- Mandatory 65? I have never heard of that here. That may just be in your state.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up Not Here............

Retirement Age here is by individual department's discretion. Baltimore had a guy retire a while back who had passed 70. I'm still actively responding daily, and I'm 65. Of course, my Doctor has the last word. Currently, he feels there is no problem with what I do, and as long as he and the cardioligist agree, then I'm good. I'll probably step down in another 30 years though.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Volunteer or career, there needs to be a mandatory age for every state in the union. Some guys just don't know when they're hurting the cause more than helping.
    I'm wondering if the guys that stay way to late don't have anything (Hobby-wise) to do after they retire?

Forum Member FireCapt1951retired's Avatar

My department had a mandatory retirement at age 60. As far as how old is to old, that's up to the individual. I left at 54 and 33 years in but I'd had enough of the city I worked for, its politicians and a lot of it's residents.

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Post Huh?.............

Quote Originally Posted by gallagher4663 View Post
    Volunteer or career, there needs to be a mandatory age for every state in the union. Some guys just don't know when they're hurting the cause more than helping.
    I'm wondering if the guys that stay way to late don't have anything (Hobby-wise) to do after they retire?

I have several hobbies, but Firefighting isn't one of them. Federal Age Discrimination Laws, especially where Volunteers are concerned, are a fine line to walk. I simply don't think a number on a calender page is relevant to anything else. Requiring people to be in good shape should be priority, not counting years. I know a few 30somethings that I can steal a line from, and get on down the hallway, because I keep myself in better shape. No disrespect intended to anyone, just stating the obvious.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    I have several hobbies, but Firefighting isn't one of them. Federal Age Discrimination Laws, especially where Volunteers are concerned, are a fine line to walk. I simply don't think a number on a calender page is relevant to anything else. Requiring people to be in good shape should be priority, not counting years. I know a few 30somethings that I can steal a line from, and get on down the hallway, because I keep myself in better shape. No disrespect intended to anyone, just stating the obvious.
    I agree, I am still serving at 68, and do not have any hard and fast retirement date in mind. I am in better shape than some of the younger guys. If we were a busier dept fire wise then I would have given it up years ago, but we are not that busy so I shall stay till I get fed up doing the job.

I know here you can't join after you turn 45. But if you're in before that, I doubt they'll kick you out.

It's up to you. When you feel you can't do the job anymore, or that you're putting your crew mates into danger by going in with you, then it's time to stop. But you don't need to quit, become a driver - pump operator, or a fire police. There's plenty you can do in the FD that doesn't require leaving.

Some Guy

In NJ we are shown the door at 65 also.
    This space for rent

Forum Member

Here manditory retirement is at 60.

Cheers Firedog21
    I.A.F.F. Proud

Thread Information