Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Volunteer FF/1R

Default Online FF2 through the IFSI

Hello all. I'm looking to take the online version of the Firefighter II course through the IFSI website. I have a couple questions I'm hoping someone can answer, as I haven't gotten an answer back from Brian Brauer (I assume he's a bit busy right now!). I also do not know of anyone personally who has taken the online course set, so I'm coming here to fish for answers.

1) Am I reading the website correctly...it states that I can perform my practical requirements with my local department. Is this correct?

2) Is the online program still informative and educational enough to possibly use for future career FF use? I have taken quite a few online courses during my computer science degree program, and some were lacking in content, thus my reason for asking.

Thanks in advance for any replies. Oh yeah, if Jack hasn't told you all already, check out our website!

Quote Originally Posted by jhughey View Post

<snipped for sanity>

1) Am I reading the website correctly...it states that I can perform my practical requirements with my local department. Is this correct?

My understanding is that as long as the practicals are performed to the satisfaction of a state certified Instructor I, and that individual signs that you did them, you're set.

2) Is the online program still informative and educational enough to possibly use for future career FF use? I have taken quite a few online courses during my computer science degree program, and some were lacking in content, thus my reason for asking.
    I haven't done the FFII online. The only thing I think you would miss is the insight you get from a live instructor, as well as their ability to help you through something you're struggling with...
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

MembersZone Subscriber

Ive taken 2 out of the 3 mods

you do all of the practicals with a certified instructor I

For the content...its all based on how much work you put into it. Your assigned homework every week and a chapter every week. It works out pretty well as long as you want to do it. Im sure that you could just skate by and get to the OSFM test but that would be up to you.

MembersZone Subscriber

I took the online FF II about three years ago. The class gives you everything you're going to need to pass the state exam, but it's not the same as taking it with a live instructor. npfd801 was right in his assumption that you miss out on some things by taking it online. You can't beat a live classroom, however if online is your only option I would recommend it. One thing you might want to consider is going to Champaign and spending the extra money to take your practicals with them. Unless you have a group from your station taking the class together, your practicals are probably going to be the area that you are most dissapointed in due to your department having to fit your practicals into their normal training schedule or setting something special up for you.

Yeah, I did it too. I got all the help I wanted through any instructors that I did my practicals with. They showed me anything I wanted. Blake is right too, it all depends how much you put into it. The more you study and practice what you read at fires and around the station the more you will get out of it. Just get a good instructor or a few and they can help you through anything you will need.

Volunteer FF/1R

Default Thanks!

Thanks to everyone for the replies so far.

I'm aware that I'll miss out having the instructor there to help me with problems, but I'm thinking I can always turn to my buddies in the fire service with any questions I might have. I have a pretty good group of friends to turn to, and we have some pretty knowledgeable officers on our department. I'm never afraid to ask someone who has more knowledge than me for advice and/or help!

I would much rather take the courses in a classroom, but online is really the only option I have. I have a pretty full work schedule, and I am still going to school for computer science as well. I definitely want to get my FFII certification. I may be making an attempt at becoming a career FF in a couple years. Even if that doesn't work out, I know going through the courses will help me become a better volunteer FF.

Thanks again to all!

Forum Member

Not a dig at the instructors I had for FFII but everyone that left the testing facility commented that they felt completely unprepared for each the mod tests. Sometimes the live experience is a good thing but the material just doesn't match up to the test... I would hope the online stuff would be closer to the test material. Guess it depends on who is teaching and what material they chose to cover.

MembersZone Subscriber WaterbryVTfire's Avatar

I agree with most. Its best to take the course with an instructor. You get more out of it. And you touch on what is more important in a certain chapter. Not, sure how it operates in Illinois but here in Vermont some of the requirements are hard to accomplish strictly on line (NIMS-ICS for example).

I know of a few people that have challenged the test (sort of like taking it on line). And, while they passed they missed some important highlights of the class.
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

IACOJ

"Criticism is prejudice made plausible."
    - H. L. Mencken (1880-1956)

MembersZone Subscriber ChiefReason's Avatar

First off, I have several friends who are instructors, so I am not being critical in the least.
    But, every once in a while, you get a very colorful guy and he will infuse humor, war stories and perspective into his FFII training. It is very entertaining and makes the time go quickly, but let's face it; you want the "meat" so that you can successfully pass the test.
    I have reviewed the online, some of our guys have used it, they passed without any problems.
    Online accomplishes for you exactly what you want to accomplish. The information will get you through your practicals and your test.
    Don't shortcut ANY of it.
    It's not designed to be easy. It is designed to prepare you for the toughest and the best job in the world.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

Thread Information