Default Background Check?

I have recently taken a hiring test for a local department and have have sucessfully made it to the next round, and I am very high on the list. The only problem being that last year I had a run-in with a local gang. Well I ended up knock out, cut up, and trown in a river. A few weeks later they burned my truck to the ground, and tried to light my house on fire. Well needless to say the local police department pined everything on me. I haven't been convicted of anyting, nor have I been arrested. I was wanting to know if that would show up on a background check, and if so should I have my name taken off the hiring list so someone else can have a shot at a job.

Forum Member

well, that sucks what happened to you, but if you weren't arrested, or convicted, then i doubt it will show up. Stay on the hiring list.

Good thing's happening

ok How did you have that bad of a "run-in" with a local gang ? you must have sent someone to jail or something to get on the REALLY bad side of a gang...im just puzzled how this all happened

Rob

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by eaglesrule1024 View Post
    ok How did you have that bad of a "run-in" with a local gang ? you must have sent someone to jail or something to get on the REALLY bad side of a gang...im just puzzled how this all happened

Rob
    Police reports are not indexed or searched typically. So unless the department goes poking around your local police departments looking for dirt (like federal security clearance investigators do) they won't tend to find it.

One place we used to for sure go check out is anytime you claim to have worked/vollied for another fire department. No computer check there, we go find the station you used to work with. I'm pretty sure the police do the same thing with anybody who had any sort of former law enforcement background...no need to pick up someone else's known problem.

Good thing's happening

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    Police reports are not indexed or searched typically. So unless the department goes poking around your local police departments looking for dirt (like federal security clearance investigators do) they won't tend to find it.

One place we used to for sure go check out is anytime you claim to have worked/vollied for another fire department. No computer check there, we go find the station you used to work with. I'm pretty sure the police do the same thing with anybody who had any sort of former law enforcement background...no need to pick up someone else's known problem.

umm did you quote me by mistake because what you are talking about doesnt even relate to my comment.

Rob

MembersZone Subscriber

Well I ended up knock out, cut up, and trown in a river.
    Huh? Trown?

Good thing's happening

Quote Originally Posted by ehs7554 View Post
    Huh? Trown?
    Must be from Brooklyn...My dad talks like that and im From staten Island which depending where you are on the island can take 5 mins or 30 mins to get to via the Verrazano Narrows Bridge or the Verrazano for short but anyways im like you mean Thrown ? yeahhh shaddup its a brooklyn thing..toilet is turliet and bathroom is bathtroom...o well nothing you can do about it

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post

This must be regional. I took part in a couple of recruitments before being hired and had to submit the paperwork showing I had a complete criminal record check completed. The check for vulnerable public checks to see if there were any charges, arrests or investigations pending. The fire department did not have to do this themselves, it was my responsibility.

So, twitch, if you were not arrested, charged or investigated, you will be fine. If you were investigated and no charges were laid, you should also be fine. I would be sure to come clean with this information though and don't leave it up to them to find it on their own. Integrity is a wonderful trait.

Forum Member

I don't think we're getting the whole story, I bet there's more to it than some gang just picking on you. You did something to **** them off. Wether or not that "something" is illegal or not will come up in the hiring process.

Good thing's happening

Quote Originally Posted by gallagher4663 View Post
    I don't think we're getting the whole story, I bet there's more to it than some gang just picking on you. You did something to **** them off. Wether or not that "something" is illegal or not will come up in the hiring process.
    I agree and thats what i said in my post

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by eaglesrule1024 View Post
    Must be from Brooklyn...My dad talks like that and im From staten Island which depending where you are on the island can take 5 mins or 30 mins to get to via the Verrazano Narrows Bridge or the Verrazano for short but anyways im like you mean Thrown ? yeahhh shaddup its a brooklyn thing..toilet is turliet and bathroom is bathtroom...o well nothing you can do about it
    Thats why they call it the Guinea Gangplank!
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Permanently Removed

1. Stay on the list.

2. Gather all of the documentation you can regarding the incident.

3. Keep your nose super clean for now on. No weed, excessive drinking, etc...

4. Meet with the BG Investigator and be honest. Not super honest to a fault, but upfront and clear on what happened.

Thread Information