Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber WaterbryVTfire's Avatar

Default Question for the small city/suburbs fulltimers!

We all know of the stiff competition to get hired by the "big boys", FDNY, Chicago, Houston, etc.
    But, what about the (your) smaller depts.?

Thanks!!
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

IACOJ

"Criticism is prejudice made plausible."
    - H. L. Mencken (1880-1956)

In California, the competetion is still tough up and down the entire state except maybe in the upper most Northern (Humbolt/Eureka) and the very most South Eastern (Imperial County/El Centro) parts of the state. Even there, its still not easy.
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 06-05-2007 at 10:31 AM.

Some Guy

Harder. Lots of people going for a VERY limited amount of positions.
    This space for rent

Forum Member

Default How many badges are you looking for?

Last time I checked you're just looking for one badge? Yours!

The people that prepare for an interview, and do well, are the ones getting hired, the ones that don’t are not asked to continue in the process. Don’t let fair and unfair get in the way of getting the job or promotions you want. Those are distractions, and the excuses people that didn’t do well use. I’ve heard people say, “I didn’t get the job/promotion because they were hiring minorities and woman”. I ask how much they prepared and they are silent.

While different departments and agencies may “reach down”, or give a helping hand to some groups, they are not holding it against you. If you go in and “Wow” them in your interview, you will be the one that makes it. I have seen many, many people go into situations where everyone says they have already decided who they are hiring. Everyone says it’s going to be a volunteer, a minority or a woman, but instead these people prepare, practice, and leave everyone else in the dust. They get the job.

I will get a few calls a month from people that say they were “the one” who was supposed to get the job, the chief told them. “Then some person nobody had ever heard of came and took the job out from under me”. They ask the person how they did it, and then call me.

It doesn’t matter what kind of paper your resume is on, what your minority or gender is, it doesn’t matter where the chair is, if your suit is black or blue, if you remember their names, if you cross you legs, if you’re a volunteer for the department, or someone told you that you don’t have a chance. What does matters is that you do well in every part of you interview and come out on top. Don’t let these other things distract you. If you want a job, do well in the interview, if you want to loose weight, eat less and exercise more, there is no mystery here.

CAPTAIN ROB (Thank you)
    NRTC@SONIC.NET
    http://www.myfireinerview.com
    Last edited by CaptBob; 06-04-2007 at 12:09 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

In North san diego county there are about 11 small departments that require a medic cert AND a FF1 Academy to even apply. Once in a while they will send a medic through the college academy, but that is rare. Also, they generally only hire one or two at a time. It's a big sacrifice for many people to stop working and pay their way through medic school (9 moths) and an academy (3 months).... without even having a job after that. However, all those departments are top notch with great equipment and large salaries...

MembersZone Subscriber

We just closed applications for an exam this fall. About 100 applicants for the test. They still have to pass CPAT in order to sit for the written exam. This is typical for my FD.

We have 41 full-time members.
    Last edited by KenNFD1219; 06-04-2007 at 11:49 PM.
    -------------------
    "The most mediocre man or woman can suddenly seem dynamic, forceful, and decisive if he or she is mean enough." from "Crazy Bosses"
    -----------------------------------------------
    Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless.

Forum Member

I'd say it's generally harder because of the massive amounts of people testing for few spots. However, if you do well, you might end up with too many offers down the road - then good luck figuring that predicament out.

MembersZone Subscriber

One of my fire fighters tested for a couple of years. He ended up with three offers within 30 days.
    -------------------
    "The most mediocre man or woman can suddenly seem dynamic, forceful, and decisive if he or she is mean enough." from "Crazy Bosses"
    -----------------------------------------------
    Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless.

Forum Member

Default Will Moving Improve my chances?

Shall I move my family to the area I want to test for a better shot at a badge?

This is not the first time I've seen this question if the chances are better in areas around the country to get a badge.

Do yourself and your family a big favor. Don’t even think about moving until you get the invitation in writing that you have the job. Never move away from family, friends, support and established connections thinking that will improve your chances of getting a badge.

A candidate is invited to the chief’s oral. He just knows they want him. He gives notice at his job, his apartment and finds a new apartment for the city he is being considered for. He starts packing. After the chief’s interview he is notified to complete the medical, given the date for the academy, uniform fitting and then the psych. He flies down to complete these items in two days. He goes by with his wife to check on the new apartment, flies home and waits for the mover to show up the next day.

Don’t touch that dial. There is something wrong with the psych interview. It comes back inconclusive. They want him to retake the psych. But the movers are on their way. I can taste that badge. I know they want me.

A medic candidate moved his family from southern California to Seattle, so he could be in position for the next test. Although he made the list, he was going to have to wait until they got down to him. In the mean time the pressures built up at home, he lost his house in California to foreclosure, and got in a heated argument with his wife. The police arrived and arrested him for domestic violence. This at a time when he was in background for the next academy. Everything came to a full halt. Fortunately, in the state of Washington, if you complete the counseling and probation program and it’s your first offense, you can appeal the court to remove the charge. Now a year later, this has been done. The Seattle list he was on expired. Now it’s back to square one.
    ______________________________ _______________

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Default Firefighter openings

I was a product of a larger Fire Department where 6,000 applied for 46 slots. I'm now retired and our Fire Department had a test for 2 positions...about twenty applied. There were even some no-shows at the physical ability. You never know what the odds are.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Thread Information