Forum Member

Default certs to get hired

i'am currently in the process of becoming certified as an emt-basic.
    what are the chances that i will get on a dept with just an emt cert. i know the chancers are better if i were to become a paramedic. but have you guys heard of anyone getting hired with just their emt?
    if not was is paramedic school like. any links?
    thanks for the help.

Forum Member

It's pretty hard to get on with just your emt. I'd get your fire 1/2, hazmat, cpat, etc while you're at it if you haven't. Those will make you the standard app. Now where you go to medic school depends on where you are. I know Penn Valley in Kansas City, MO has a medic program and sometimes the local FD will put on a medica program. Call around your local colleges and see what they have to offer.
    Firefighting is a very competitive field to get in.

MembersZone Subscriber

Paramedic's not bad, but you really need to get some EMT experience under your belt before you so that route, you'll find it easier. Where in MO are you? That will help to let you know where medicl classes are.

You can get on a department with just EMT, however it's getting harder every day, especially if you want on a decent sized department. Is it safe to assume you already have the FF I and II? If not, you need to be getting on that, too.

Forum Member

Yeah man, Penn Valley's program is great. They're building a whole new wing just for Paramedic school stuff, with some cool new animatronics. Check out mcckc.org for more info on that. Basically, it's a 5 semester (you already have your EMT, so you just need a basic A and P class, and then you're in). Consists of the usuals, Emergency Cardiology, Pharmacology, ACLS, etc. It's not easy, so make sure that you're pretty committed to being a paramedic, not just a firefighter that happens to have a paramedic license (if that makes any sense). Also, if you don't have your FF1/2, check out Blue River Academy, also on that website I have you. Good luck.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by brennanutt View Post
    i'am currently in the process of becoming certified as an emt-basic.
    what are the chances that i will get on a dept with just an emt cert. i know the chancers are better if i were to become a paramedic. but have you guys heard of anyone getting hired with just their emt?
    if not was is paramedic school like. any links?
    thanks for the help.
    Like Catch22 asked where in Missouri are you located? Not necessarily what town but what region. I know some in the Southeast region that hire EMT's but the pay may not be the best. St. Louis region and you pretty much have to be a medic and the St. Louis County Fire I & II at a minimum.

Forum Member

St. Louis region and you pretty much have to be a medic and the St. Louis County Fire I & II at a minimum
    True dat.

My Dept. is testing Monday to fill 3 FF/Medic positions we lost 3 years ago, but thanks to a huge tax increase, we now get them back. My Capt. said today that around 33 people applied, Medic and STL County Academy required to apply.

Just to give you (brennanutt) an actual scenario........
    Last edited by FHandz15; 07-07-2007 at 02:53 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FHandz15 View Post
    True dat.

My Dept. is testing Monday to fill 3 FF/Medic positions we lost 3 years ago, but thanks to a huge tax increase, we now get them back. My Capt. said today that around 33 people applied, Medic and STL County Academy required to apply.

Just to give you (brennanutt) an actual scenario........
    FHandz, where you at? I'm in South County.

Forum Member

Kirkwood.

Where you at?

Do you live in SE MO and work in South County?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FHandz15 View Post
    Kirkwood.

Where you at?

Do you live in SE MO and work in South County?
    Fenton, heck we have probably even met before or at least worked the same scene if your only manning one ambulance still, Ha, Ha....

Yes I live in SE MO and commute (2hrs) to work.

Forum Member

Tom M. is that you lol?

You didn't work at Kirkwood before did you?

I was at House 2 for years, I'm sure I've run calls with you before.

We have 2 ambos 365 now, thanks to our 34 cent property tax passed in June. (plus I got a nice raise lol, but shhhhh, we don't talk about that lol).

Every shift now, we cover 95% of our own calls with 2 trucks instead of abusing you guys, Webser, Valley Park, Des Peres....etc. But, I thank you guys for helping out during a rough few years, hopefully those days are over. Have you come over since early June?

We just tested to re-hire 3 medics, spots we lost over the last 3 years. Right now we are paying OT out the arse (4 today) to keep 1527 running, but at least we have the funding now.

What shift you work?

MembersZone Subscriber

No, it's not Tom. Tom works on B-Crew on swing, I work on A-Crew at 3's.
    I have only come up to Kirkwood when I've been covering 2 house on trade days. I did work on 2817 a little over 3 years ago so I was there when that end needed covered also (and no I was not a cop).
    Had a job offer at Kirkwood after I got the one from Fenton and I guess you can tell which one I took
    Glad to see you guy's getting the needed funding.....finally. Heck it seems that we can't handle all of our own calls a majority of the time, were constantly having 6827 come up for fill in.

Jim

Forum Member

Yeah we felt bad for "abusing" you guys, and everyone else for a few years, but the city just would not shell out the OT to man 1527 if someone called in sick or for vacation. But, that is all over now, and it has made a huge difference. I've only been here for an hour and we had 2 calls at the same time already, and handled them both, which is the way it should be! I can't coount how many calls I ran with 1327 over the last 3 years, too many they would say lol. Had some good ones though, guy that stabbed himself like 15 times in the chest....ooops! Oh wait, that was 1927.....nevermind lol.

Stay cool in the heat, if that's possible.

Thread Information