MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs down London's Olympic Logo - Yuck!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19056376/

Apparently there have been complaints or warnings that the animated, multi-colored flashing versions of this logo shown on television could cause epileptic seizures.

Duh.

I saw a clip of this thing on the news this morning before I even knew what the complaint was, wiggling in jerky motions, flashing pinks and oranges and greens on a black background as shapes morphed and moved about. The sound was off, so I didn't know why it was on TV in the first place. I couldn't figure out what the hell it was. It is about the ugliest piece of crap I have ever seen, and I would pay $796,000 (reportedly the fee charged by the company that coughed this hairball up) to have it permanently erased from my memory. And then, hours later, I read about it on the news and it all makes sense now.

It made me physically ill to watch it, and yet my eyes locked on like a moth to flame. Perhaps I am a closet epileptic just waiting for something like this to out me!

Ugh. I would rather see artistic compositions involving back hair, Rosie O'Donnell, and Alex Yates driving Support 4 than see this animated abomination again.

Sorry to our UK brethren, I am certain none of you had anything to do with this.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    You only have to be stupid once to be dead permanently
    IACOJ Power Company Liason
    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution
    and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy. - Dave Barry.

Forum Member

last night, someone at the station ACTUALLY had to point out to me that it said "2012"
    First in, Last out, nobody left behind.....

MembersZone Subscriber

Don't let the "crips" see that or there will be a drive by.

Really, it looks like something i would find spray painted to a bridge int he ghetto here.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by res54cuecaptain View Post
    last night, someone at the station ACTUALLY had to point out to me that it said "2012"
    I didn't see that either, was wondering why it was a pile of shapes. And why is it pink. I like pink, but for an Olympic logo... strange. I guess it's no more strange than Canada's team suits being Purple and white (can't recall the year).

MembersZone Subscriber

It cost $796,000 and was targeted at young people.
    Someone got ripped off... Unless what they were targeting for was hysterical laughing, embarrassment, and ridicule.
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

MembersZone Subscriber

Now I know Wikipedia is not the most accurate source of info, but I still enjoy reading it.

I about spit out my coffee when I picked this up from there.

The free newspaper London Lite, in its 5 June edition, printed a text from a reader pointing out the resemblance of the logo to Lisa Simpson performing oral sex.
    Scroll up and look at it again. Damn subversive subliminal stuff, I tell ya.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_olympics
    You only have to be stupid once to be dead permanently
    IACOJ Power Company Liason
    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution
    and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy. - Dave Barry.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricHoser View Post
    Scroll up and look at it again. Damn subversive subliminal stuff, I tell ya.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_olympics
    OMG, Great!
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

That "thing" is enough for anyone to want to toss his cookies.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

That is just a wonderful example of "modern art."

Simple, uneducated, dolts like us will just never understand.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Forum Member

Just two words to say...Its Awful.
    United Kingdom branch, IACOJ.

Forum Member

Whangaparaoa Peninsular North Island New Zealand

Thumbs up Yes please

Quote Originally Posted by martinm View Post
    Just two words to say...Its Awful.
    Just wish I had fooled some bunch of plonka's into giving me that $796k

(is that your US dollars?) if it is ,over here it would make me a squillionair!

MembersZone Subscriber

On the train ride this morning, I saw a black and white printing of the logo - even in two-tone it looks UGLY!
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

MembersZone Subscriber

Updated story:

Unpopular Olympic Logo May Cause Seizures
    Animated Display Of London 2012 Logo May Cause Epileptic Seizures

POSTED: 12:02 pm EDT June 7, 2007
    UPDATED: 1:07 pm EDT June 7, 2007

Organizers for the London 2012 Games hoped the jigsaw-style logo and brand would inspire Olympic fans to reach out to people all over the World.

"London 2012 will be Everyone's Games, everyone's 2012," London 2012 Chairman Sebastian Coe said.

"This is the vision at the very heart of our brand. It will define the venues we build and the Games we hold and act as a reminder of our promise to use the Olympic spirit to inspire everyone and reach out to young people around the world. It is an invitation to take part and be involved."

Instead, the design itself has drawn unfavorable responses and an animated display has even caused epileptic seizures in viewers.

Epilepsy Action, a British health charity, said 10 people had complained about the animation and some had suffered seizures from watching images depicting a diver plunging into a pool.

The Olympic group said it has taken steps to remove the animation from the Web site and will now re-edit the film.

The logo design, which cost $796,000, was targeted at young people. It is made up of four jagged pieces that form the numbers 2012 and is available in four colors: pink, blue, green and orange.

In a departure from previous Games, the logo has no visual imagery of the host city or country.

Within hours of the logos unveiling Monday, an online petition was started asking for a new design.

But not everyone is opposed to the logo.

"This is a truly innovative brand logo that graphically captures the essence of the London 2012 Olympic Games -- namely to inspire young people around the world through sport and the Olympic values," IOC President Jacque Rogge said.

"Each edition of the Olympic Games brings its own flavor and touch to what is now well over a century of modern Olympic history; the brand launched (Monday) by London 2012 is, I believe, an early indication of the dynamism, modernity and inclusiveness with which London 2012 will leave its Olympic mark."

Distributed by Internet Broadcasting Systems, Inc. The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

It's incredibly ugly.

You can't tell that it says 2012 even when you know that's what it says.

I heard reports the first day that some people also thought it looked like a broken swastika, and I can definitely see that.

Unfortunately, I can also see the Lisa Simpson thing!
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Thread Information