MembersZone Subscriber

Default Rural water supply class

I'm working on a class for rural water supply, thought I'd see if anyone might have a class they might let me have a look at for ideas.

I'm mainly doing some stuff on selecting a water source, options for supplying water (relays, shuttle, nurse tankers), and some other related ideas. I'm going to go into each subject a little more in depth. For example, when talking about shuttles, how to run a fill point, setting up the dump point, communications, etc.

MembersZone Subscriber

Make sure your tankers make loops and are not passing each other, fill only 1 truck at a time, make sure the drivers stay in the trucks,we set up a min of 3 tanks middle as primary and the other 2 for supply, i keep 1 full just for a oh sh*t because you never know what will happen along with making sure your tank gets full also for back up. Take the time and have them set up the operation right starting with truck placement to dropping a line and if need be hitting the manifold, then go to the setting of the drop tanks filling them and water supply. attempt to make it so the tankers don't have to back up to the drop tanks as well as no one stands behind the trucks and the drop tanks when they're backing up.Make sure they keep water circulating when not using much and keep in radio contact with the IC,tell the IC if you are close to running out of water (hopefully not) so they can pull crews back or you might have to shut down some lies to conserve water, Make sure you have a water supply officer as well, we usually run our tanker shuttle operations on different channel then our fireground channel.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Catch22 View Post
    I'm working on a class for rural water supply, thought I'd see if anyone might have a class they might let me have a look at for ideas.

I'm mainly doing some stuff on selecting a water source, options for supplying water (relays, shuttle, nurse tankers), and some other related ideas. I'm going to go into each subject a little more in depth. For example, when talking about shuttles, how to run a fill point, setting up the dump point, communications, etc.
    Check with Dana at Western Taney County. We practiced hard on this when I was there.

T.J.

MembersZone Subscriber

I'll see if I can't track Dana down and check that angle.

What I'm actually looking for more than anything is powerpoint/manual ideas. I've got a pretty good idea of what I'm going to do drillwise and all, I'm just trying to get the classroom stuff done and where I like the set-up to lead it into the practical portion.

Forum Member

I think Larry Davis from Texas is currently working on a power point presentation. He recently taught a class in Alabama and I think they are working on a power point based on that and other classes he has taught. It could be a while in the making and I don't know what kind of price tag it will carry.

MembersZone Subscriber

Larry Davis is the guy you want to talk to. He did a lot of classes in the`CT area years ago. A lot of good info. As a matter of fact our dept SOP's are based on his stuff.

MembersZone Subscriber

I've been reading a lot of Larry's articles recently and plan on using some of the info. I just haven't gotten to the point of actually contacting him. Thanks for the thought!

Forum Member

Our SOPs are also based on Larry Davis's material. he's definately the guy to talk to or get the book from. We recently had the ISO water movement and it went extremely well. if you would like, I could email you our SOPs relevant to rural water movement.

Forum Member

rskabroud- if you could email me that info as well to burlew@westendfire.net
    also any info you have on your ISO eval would be appreciated as well. Thanks

Forum Member

we won't have the official ISO report for another week or two, but I can definately get it to you and I'll email the SOPs later today

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by rskabroud View Post
    Our SOPs are also based on Larry Davis's material. he's definately the guy to talk to or get the book from. We recently had the ISO water movement and it went extremely well. if you would like, I could email you our SOPs relevant to rural water movement.
    If you don't mind sharing them, that'd be great!

Forum Member

catch 22, what's you email address? Is this still a hot topic for training? Our department has always been very pro-active in water movement training. We had a training program that was with slide projectors and is quite aged, but maybe it would warrant some time to revive to help others out. Another good idea, is to look back at the history of your department and some of those fires that you know you were short on water, can you do better now? Are you utilizing mutual aid/ automatic aid tenders? What geographic areas of your service area are hurting the most? What is the worst is when there simply is no fill site in a geographic area. You can haul all the water you want there, but it takes forever to get that tender back to the scene full! Larry Davis talks about placing old 10,000+ gallon cleaned fuel or water tanks in areas and using them as cisterns to fill tenders, usually the property owner will have no problem with it being there as it helps them! Also look at what is taking more time, filling or dumping? It may warrant altering tenders to allow quicker filling with LDH lines, or electric dumps to speed dumping and prevent the driver from having to leave the cab.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by rskabroud View Post
    catch 22, what's you email address? Is this still a hot topic for training? Our department has always been very pro-active in water movement training. We had a training program that was with slide projectors and is quite aged, but maybe it would warrant some time to revive to help others out. Another good idea, is to look back at the history of your department and some of those fires that you know you were short on water, can you do better now? Are you utilizing mutual aid/ automatic aid tenders? What geographic areas of your service area are hurting the most? What is the worst is when there simply is no fill site in a geographic area. You can haul all the water you want there, but it takes forever to get that tender back to the scene full! Larry Davis talks about placing old 10,000+ gallon cleaned fuel or water tanks in areas and using them as cisterns to fill tenders, usually the property owner will have no problem with it being there as it helps them! Also look at what is taking more time, filling or dumping? It may warrant altering tenders to allow quicker filling with LDH lines, or electric dumps to speed dumping and prevent the driver from having to leave the cab.
    If you can, drop me a PM or email (click my name, you'll see a drop-down menu). I'm not a big fan of just posting my email for the spammers to get a hold of.

It's still a training topic. I consider this class (and many others I do) as a living, growing thing that's constantly being revised. While I'm concentrating on water delivery and how to make it more efficient, there's some other aspects I'm trying to work on with this one. Things like relay pumping (only 3 departments have LDH), water source selection, evaluating water sources, pre-planning, etc.

I've been reading a lot of Larry's articles and looking to find some books to add to our library, as well. Our county is just coming out of the 60's. We are just now getting our 911 system up and going and we're trying to get automatic aid set up. My saving grace is that I've got two chiefs that came from MABAS areas and another couple that have worked with auto-aid extensively in other areas, so they're all for it. It's just getting our dinosaurs into the groove, or may forcing them into it.

As it is now, everyone tries to be self-sufficient on the fireground. When it gets out of hand, they start calling for mutual aid, and it's usually too late to do any good. We're trying to be a good example and calling for aid early and getting into auto-aid agreements with neighbors and it's starting to work out. No one in the county has the equipment, nor the manpower, to be self-sufficient. That's part of why I'm trying to write the class.

My goal with this class is not only to teach some techniques for rural water supply, but also to show some of these guys how beneficial it is to have multiple tankers coming. We've made some good strides as a whole (13 vollie departments, 1 combination) for the fire service in the county: we drove the 911 ballot to an 82% victory, grant for a county-wide live burn trailer, stuff like that. We just need to start applying this stuff to operations and get caught up with the rest of the world.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Rural Water Supply

I am the assistant chief/training officer for a small, all volunteer department in western South Carolina. I have read the posts for this topic and am wondering if anyone may have any type of powerpoint presentation for rural water supply. We rely on our mutual aid departments for manpower and water supply in our rural areas, so we are conducting joint training on water supply. Anyone who can help would be greatly appreciated.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Firemedic1600 View Post
    I am the assistant chief/training officer for a small, all volunteer department in western South Carolina. I have read the posts for this topic and am wondering if anyone may have any type of powerpoint presentation for rural water supply. We rely on our mutual aid departments for manpower and water supply in our rural areas, so we are conducting joint training on water supply. Anyone who can help would be greatly appreciated.
    As you can tell, I'm working on just that. I'll get with you as soon as I get it in the form of a complete class.

MembersZone Subscriber

I too would like to see the SOG's and training. Please if you would not mind dropping us a copy by clicking on my drop down and sending also.

Thank you.

Forum Member

With both the ISO and the real fireground, the most important things to address are quick (smooth) fill and dump times as you can only make the water move so fast, although larger tenders helps. Also, designating a water supply officer and sector is important as Operations has enough to deal with and this allows water supply concerns to immediately be addressed as we simply can't put out fire without water! Also pre-plan buildings to know how much water you need on the road when the crap hits the fan and get it coming either through inter-department or mutual aid. Oh, and I forgot the most important component, well trained personnel. Create/ adopt SOPs and drill accorcing to them. I just heard that our rural (non-hydrant areas) are ISO 6, we are extremely proud of the hard work everyone put into this as all the pumps and tenders couldn't have done it without the personnel.

Training Officer

Default Are you guys still looking for this?

I have a rural firefighter water shuttle course PPT w/ lesson plan if you guys are still looking for this. Let me know, I'll get it to you.
    Is that clear as mud?

Default Lt

Quote Originally Posted by resq911training View Post
    I have a rural firefighter water shuttle course PPT w/ lesson plan if you guys are still looking for this. Let me know, I'll get it to you.
    If you can send me a copy that would be great.

I am currently putting together a Tender Operations class for my department. There is not much out there as far as shuttle ops. If you want to send me an e-mail, I will send you what I have. My PowerPoint is 80% completed and I have notes.
    Bud McCarroll
    D/O Tender 72 C
    Palm Beach County Fire Rescue
    budmccarroll@aol.com

Forum Member

I wouldn't mind having what you guys have on Tender Ops when you get it done. We are training a few new drivers on our dept and having a good water shuttle class would be great since it is something we do 8-10 times a year.
    ziggy171@hotmail.com
    Thanks!

Thread Information